PDA

View Full Version : MK2 Broad basher and MK2 rally car ish

cumbrianchris
19-10-10, 01:16 PM
Hi guys, been lurking around the forum for a little while observing, and thought it was about time I got involved. Having spent all my spare time over the last four days reading all 290 odd pages of Adams project thread it has given me a kick up the backside to start my own.
So here goes. I actually have 2 nova related projects on the go at the minute (though one was started about 8 years ago). My first project is my Kreg 1.4 SRI which was actually my first car, 12 years ago. And my second project being a MK2 nova trip, with 1.3sr engine, which i bought on ebay a couple of months ago.
Like I say project one was started a long time ago, and due to a whole manner of things that seem to have got in the way since I first started it, hasn’t moved forward a great deal for at least nine years. My plans were then and still are to build it up for a bit of road rallying and maybe the odd track day. So I took it off the road stripped it down to a shell got it re sprayed in glacier white, put it on stands in the garage, spent thousands on bits. Then things just seem to come to a grinding holt due to work etc. And though I have no immediate plans to get it sorted out, it will no doubt start to feature more and more in my posts.
Ok so my second project is my nova trip/sr. Like I said picked it up a couple of weeks ago on eBay, for what I think was a bargain price of £650. Chassis is solid as a rock, with only the odd bit of (to be expected) rust on the rear arches. The 1.3sr engine is sweet as nut, though I have to say a little bit lacking in the power dept. It has been fitted with a full 1.3sr interior, astra sport alloys ( I think) and lowering springs and shocks of unknown origin.
Think at this point it maybe worth mentioning what I do for a living and my history. When I started my first project I was coming to the end of serving my time at a VW main dealer and getting slightly hacked off with it. I was involved in various disciplines of motorsport, both competing and spannering. So thought wouldn’t it be a good idea to this for a living? Quick search on the net found plenty of uni’s doing motorsport related courses, and I settled on one with uclan. However at the end of the first year I found that I had done far more mechanical work than I was ever going to learn on a uni course. I got cheesed off with going out on the lash all the time, so sacked it out in favour of a job in industry. I spent the next 6-7 years working in various mechanical/ design roles within the motorsport industry. And in the winter of 2007 thought enough is enough and I wanted my own business. At the time I was running a series 2 lotus Elise as a road car and I had been asked by a few people on the lotus forums to give them a hand running there cars in the lotus Elise trophy and lotus cup Europe. So kind of on a whim i thought to my self yeh that’s the basis for a good business I’ll do that. So with the financial backing of a fellow lotus owner/racer I did just that. However due to several personal and business reasons I ending up selling my 49% share of the business about 3 months ago after some two and a half years of solid graft. I am currently in the middle of moving all of my personally owned equipment ( which seems to be a bl**dy load) from Banbury back up to Cumbria. Where I have already got new workshops, and plenty of our existing customers. My plan for the future is to carry on with the lotus racing. We have had a lot of success over the last couple of years and have been on the podium at pretty much ever round we have been to. So would be silly to loose the industry reputation that I have personally built up. But I also would like to branch out a little bit more into other Marques and through my love of the little nova thought Vauxhall may as well be one of them. Albeit for the time being I think due to the level of work we have booked in my time will be mostly spent on my own cars.
What’s my plans I hear you all ask? Well to be fair I’m not to sure what I want the car to be. I’m thinking maybe be a clean b road basher that may see a bit of action in the odd 12car rally or such like. I have managed to gather up a few bits and pieces that can be put to one side for my own projects, though its mostly mundane things like steering wheels etc. I have always had a bit of a perversion for small blocks and more particularly 8v. So having found a 1.4sri engine, box, loom, ecu, and fuel pump on eBay last week, I stuck a poultry bid of £50 on the lot. Which I won for £31.05 on Sunday night and has been picked up this morning by a friend of mine. So I’m thinking this weekend I may whip the 1.3sr lump out and lob the 1.4sri in. But will give it a quick gasket and belt change/ health check when I am back at work on Thursday. Also have a 6pt OMP cage which may as well go in along bucket seats and harnesses. Then I think maybe run it for a couple of months doing other little jobs, i.e. bits of body/chassis work, suspension etc. Then take it back out and go to town on it machine it all up and see what I can get out of it for a bit of winter fun.
I do have a full corsa GSI which took the c16xe out of with view to dropping it in but after spending ages re working the head for some reason I decided that I wanted to be a bit more of a purist and stick to an original fit motor.
So there you go a bit long winded and mostly gibberish I suppose but I think as long as I have committed myself to starting a project thread it will force me to stay late at work each night and get some bits done just to keep the updates coming.
Pics to follow once I get to 15 posts.

Connor
19-10-10, 03:15 PM
Woah, nice right up and welcome to png,
the b-road blaster sounds fun aswell as the lotus elise ;)
Get the 15 posts and wack up some pics mate

Rickyb
19-10-10, 08:10 PM
plans sound good cant wait to see the pics.
rick

cumbrianchris
19-10-10, 08:35 PM
Cheers guys, sorry for it being such a word'y intro.

Cant wait to get my hands on that little 1400 now. Going to be thursday till i can get back to Cumbria to have a look at it though. Getting rather sick of rover k's and yota 2zz's so will be a welcome change.

mk1nova_rich
19-10-10, 08:42 PM
Welcome to PNG :)

good to see another Nova to be used for road rallying!! Looking forward to more progress and some pics :thumb:

Royston
19-10-10, 09:12 PM
Hello and welcome;)

cumbrianchris
20-10-10, 10:36 AM
I can see myself getting more and more drawn into getting these projects going properly. Got quite a few re wiring jobs to do over the winter, so been busy ordering stock this morning. We mainly use reychem for all of our looms/loom repairs, I have been ordering quite a few different gauges. And thought balls to it i may as well build reychem looms for the nova’s so whacked an extra 25m onto each role i have ordered. Then i got to thinking what’s the point in building a brand new (and bloody expensive) loom, only to leave them on stock ecu’s.
I have an emerald K3 sat on the shelf, which by rights should be sold when doing a build. But I think I have reasoned with myself that i should only really fit latest gear on customers cars. And as emerald have just released the new K6, the K3 may as well go on my road car. And I’m thinking that the Sri shell will get a K6 when I build it.
So this weeks plan as I’m stuck behind a desk till Thursday, is to draw up a pin out diagram and spec up what plugs and sockets I need to order. Then over the weekend and evenings next week nail the old loom to a board and make up a new template loom from it.
Still going to go ahead and fit the standard loom ecu etc for the time being just to get things up and running. But don’t think I will be able to hold out to long before doing the motor and fitting ecu etc.
There is nothing that cheese’s me off more than old standard looms and stupid little electrical gremlins.
Also think it will be worth while spending a couple of hours on Saturday sticking the trip/sr on the corner weights, see what she weighs and where she weighs it. Its a bit of a pain in the a*se that the previous owner fitted lowing springs and shocks, as its always nice when starting projects like these to have an idea what the factory setup of the car was.
So as i will have the scales out anyway and setup for the nova wheel base, anyone who wants to stick there car on out of interest is more than welcome to come over and do so. Will be at the new and completely unfinished workshop in the Carlisle area ish of Cumbria.

Stuart
20-10-10, 10:53 AM
what lotus prep company did you run?

I spend far too much time on seloc lol....

cumbrianchris
20-10-10, 11:00 AM
Hi Stuart I was technical director at F23 motorsport. Seloc can be a tiring place to spend your time.

I'll be re launching with a new name same faces business over the next couple of months with some fairly interesting 2011 customer cars.

Stuart
20-10-10, 11:07 AM
its a grind, but ltos of comedy to entertain while at work....

good skills on making new looms 99% of issues can be fixed with a new loom, let alone adding in a standalone :)

Shame you are so sodding far away for doing cornerweighting etc

cumbrianchris
20-10-10, 11:30 AM
Yeh there is defo plenty of entertainment to be had with the boys on seloc.

Always been of the opinion that i dont mind mechanical failures, as long as they are material failures rather than assembly. But a wiring failure in unforgivable. I think its all the years of dodgy lotus wiring thats done it to me.

I'll pm you with our winter test dates if you like? Always have a set of scales with us. And if you dont mind setting them up your more than welcome to pop down to silverstone and lob your car on. Something that most people seem to over look is the fact that a car will handle a million times better once its had a good GEO stuck on it. And not just a quick run down to the local quick fit to make sure the wheels are pointing in the right direction.

Stuart
20-10-10, 11:38 AM
Yeh there is defo plenty of entertainment to be had with the boys on seloc.

Always been of the opinion that i dont mind mechanical failures, as long as they are material failures rather than assembly. But a wiring failure in unforgivable. I think its all the years of dodgy lotus wiring thats done it to me.

I'll pm you with our winter test dates if you like? Always have a set of scales with us. And if you dont mind setting them up your more than welcome to pop down to silverstone and lob your car on. Something that most people seem to over look is the fact that a car will handle a million times better once its had a good GEO stuck on it. And not just a quick run down to the local quick fit to make sure the wheels are pointing in the right direction.

wouldnt say no :) Perhaps can lend a hand if I can escape the house

I'm a little sceptical about the whole geo thing, but thats just me lol... I had all 4 wheels pointing in different directions and it was still better than me, got it setup to a hybrid of lowtarse settings and its still better than me, but a little mroe catchable on the limit lol.

greg1.4
20-10-10, 05:55 PM
^^^ that is all like a foreign language to me! lol

anyway, look forward to seeing pics mate!

cumbrianchris
08-11-10, 05:37 PM
Wow what busy couple of weeks, sorry I haven't been able to get a post up for a couple of weeks. Being the end of the race season it's about this time every year, that people start to panic about winter rebuilds etc etc.

I have managed to find a couple of days this week to get my little nova in and start to do some bits and pieces to it.

So got it into the workshop this morning stuck it up on stands and started to pull bits off it, just to give the chassis/shell a propper dose of looking at. Turns out I have got myself a raving belting minter. Only a couple of bits of surface rust to be found. Apart from a bit of a bodged repair to the front slam pannel and some rust round the rear arches where the previous owner has, decided not role/ tap them up but instead to pull them down with what looks like a set of pliers or the likes. So a fairly easy fix with a hammer a bit of seam sealer some red oxide and some glacier White paint.

I manger to throw it on the corner wieghts the other week and was a bit disapointed to find that she is a touch lardier than what I'm used to:

overall 792kg (no fuel, no driver, full sr interior etc etc)

so today whilst I was busy pulling things off I decided lob the fiberglass gsi bumpers, that I have been sat painted in glacier White and gathering dust on a shelf for a good five years. Must admit they do look fairly good but took quite a bit of bending to make them fit. That's the problem with fibreglass, you really need to make sure it's tensioner in the right shape if it's going to be sitting for some time before it's fitted, or as with my bumpers it just relaxes and twists.

I have managed to find a couple of hours here and there to sort out the rusty lump of c14se that I got on eBay. So have treated it to new water pump, inlet and exhaust gaskets, cam belt (leaving the autotensioner off and fitting a 104 tooth belt) and a coat of paint and general clean up. I borescoped it, couldn't see any signs of damage so left the head on as it's only going to be a few months till it gets a proper strip down. So once I have finished with wiring loom it's ready to be dropped in.

I got myself a set of oz superturismo's purchased second hand which were going to replace the astra sport alloys. And got one of my lads to pick them up whilst on another job in Manchester. Bloody disappointed to have only opened the boxes they were packed in this morning and find that they weren't exactly as advertised. Was expecting j6x15 with an et45 ofset but instead they are j7x15 and et37. I can't get hold of the seller so I'm going to have to sell them on again myself. Bloody shame as they haven't got one single scuff or scratch on them at all.

So tommorow looks like, mounts for cibies, role cage, seats, and fabricate some sort of exhaust.

Sorry for any spelling/ grammer errors written this on my iPhone as we having issues with a broken underground phone line.

Stuart
08-11-10, 05:43 PM
Any idea on the bore size for the wheels? and what kind of price would you be after? I'm researching 'winter' rims for a Clio 182 so could use those as either winter rims withw itner rubber or summer rims and fit winter rubber to the std wheels lol.

792kg isnt tooooooo bad, what was the distribution like?

cumbrianchris
08-11-10, 05:59 PM
Hi stu, yeh it's not that bad really. Distribution wasn't to bad to be honest, specially for a standard car, with chavspec suspension.

LF: 273.0 RF:240.5
LR: 127.5 RR: 151.0

just had a quick look at the bore, couldn't fit the verynear calipers in and couldn't find a small rule but as near as dam it with a tap measure they are 60mm. Looking for around £200.00 but I am open to offers as it's boiling my p*ss just looking at them.