PDA

View Full Version : Alarm recommendations

Iain
19-10-10, 09:56 AM
Anyone got any alarm recommendations? I see Toad AI606s recommended a lot, not sure if they're any good?

Ideally it'll be something Thatcham approved, if it's possible to get a certificate after DIY installation.

Prey
19-10-10, 10:23 AM
yes it is possible to get a certificate afterwards - most mobile installers will do it, they just come out, inspect it and say its ok. but you might be surprised how much some of them will try to charge - might be worth getting quotes for them to fit it!

Sloth
19-10-10, 10:30 AM
i got a cheapo one from ebay, 17 functions inc remote start for £30 delivered. and tbh it was a clifford copy. well impressive. not worth paying more really.

Iain
19-10-10, 11:28 AM
yes it is possible to get a certificate afterwards - most mobile installers will do it, they just come out, inspect it and say its ok. but you might be surprised how much some of them will try to charge - might be worth getting quotes for them to fit it!

Suppose thats what they want - stupid prices to inspect means they might as well fit it too. Will look up local fitters and see what they'd charge. For the Toad I've seen em for £100 and all the fitted prices are £250-300.

Not sure I want someone else doing it tho really, I prefer to know where everything is and where the wire joins are.

Prey
19-10-10, 11:40 AM
Not sure I want someone else doing it tho really, I prefer to know where everything is and where the wire joins are.

Thats how I look at it - if its all black wires then I prefer to have at least an idea whats what.

nova ian
19-10-10, 11:42 AM
This guy did a Toad alarm on my old nova years ago, I remember it was thatcham approved and I got a certificate etc. Might be worth a phone call to get a price etc.

www.jtautosecurity.co.uk

Mazz
19-10-10, 12:41 PM
Lionel, if you fit i might be able to get the cert stamped for you..

Iain
19-10-10, 12:43 PM
Cheers Ian emailed him.

Mr Mazz tell me more :) I am keen to fit it myself and happy for someone to inspect it also.

Mazz
19-10-10, 12:52 PM
empty your PM box :)

email sent to your gmail..

AlexW
19-10-10, 02:27 PM
Iain catch me again on msn later.

Connor
19-10-10, 04:21 PM
I bought a hornet alarm (still got it) cheap from some bloke i know who fits them for a living
But looked at the wiring diag and decided to leave it in the box lol

Wazza024
22-10-10, 11:59 PM
I have a clifford concept 650 mk2 i think it is which is thatcham approved which come with dual prox sensors aswell cost £300 fitted but i used to have toad on one of my old cars which was cheaper but all installers give you a certificate after installation just depends if you want to pay for someone to fit it or do it yourself tbh

Pistol Pete
23-10-10, 08:09 AM
Another Clifford user here. Can fault it. Lol @ cheap eBay specials. Car security is not an area where corners should be cut. Can't see it being thatcham approved either TBH.

Iain
23-10-10, 08:56 AM
There's a toad on eBay that comes with a certificate, hmm. do they need stamping or is it just a bit of paper?

Pistol Pete
23-10-10, 09:43 AM
You will need a certificate for insurance purposes.

AlexW
23-10-10, 10:23 AM
Will just be a bit of paper that needs filling in, 99% of alarms/trackers etc come with it.

Iain
23-10-10, 10:26 AM
So just fill it in yourself? lol