PDA

View Full Version : mot failure

shanehandley
25-05-03, 08:28 PM
inside the engine bay there some rust its like on each side bout where the water tank is along the seal if you no what i mean its not that bad will it fail the mot?

shanehandley
25-05-03, 08:40 PM
this pic aint very clear but it shows ruthly where rust is
http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_thumbnail.php?id=993

adam2472
25-05-03, 08:53 PM
cant see the pic to well m8.. does it look nething like this??

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=994

if so ur gettin me worried!! :?

shanehandley
25-05-03, 09:41 PM
yeah thats exactly what it is!is it bad?

adam2472
25-05-03, 10:10 PM
i duno m8.. i wudnt have thought it was nehting to bad.. theres no feckin gr8 holes or nehting..

hopefully some nova mastermind minds on ere will be able to help

hint!! hint!! mike , ade - -they always seem to be able to help with somin..

Dicko
26-05-03, 12:15 AM
depends, if u give it a knock with something like a big screwdriver is it solid?
as long as its pretty solid it doesnt really matter :)

but i would sand that down at get some tetroseal on it

jatinder
26-05-03, 09:28 AM
for sum reason ive got quite a bit of rust on both sides but its never failed its mot

Novas.5u.com-Chris
26-05-03, 02:56 PM
It shouldnt fail the mot, like sumone said (dunno who now, sorry) so long as its solid it should be ok.
I think this happens if youve got uprated (i.e. hard suspension) as it stresses the front end more over bumps and pot holes etc.
I know my GSi has rock hard suspension and crashes real bad over bumps, and the front end of mines the same! Have u got uprated suspension??
My 1ltr had a mint shell and chassis, no rust at all when I got it, but after I lowered it it wasnt long before it started to rust like that!!
You might wanna check up inside the box section where the suspension strut on the front goes up into the inner wing. If you have a feel around inside there you might find the outer edge is corroded and holed. I know this will fail and MOT, and is quite common, unless u have a good mate whos a tester, lol :wink:
Also check the join just behind the box section, this is totally fucked on my GSi cos of the rock hard ride, but I will hopfully be getting it sorted soon!!!

mikeoxford
26-05-03, 10:09 PM
i duno m8.. i wudnt have thought it was nehting to bad.. theres no feckin gr8 holes or nehting..

hopefully some nova mastermind minds on ere will be able to help

hint!! hint!! mike , ade - -they always seem to be able to help with somin..

ill help u if u help me and tell me how unde ryour avatar you get the lines to go on sperate lines!!!

erm the rust on my car there is surface rusts, and it DOES need treatin, even if you just clean it up and paint it, because itll get worse until it rusts a hole through - which aint good come MOT time

adam2472
27-05-03, 02:56 AM
hehe LOL @ mike.. for a man with 5000 + posts thought u wud know everything bout novaload and how it works.. :P n by the looks of htings u alredy gor seperate lines under u avatar neways...

thinks its got somein to do with seperating it with ":" just looked at other peeps profiles and copied the layout..

neways back to the rust :( what the best thing to treat it with.. can i just paint over it.. wud this form some kinda seal??

bfuller
27-05-03, 09:50 AM
yeah mate paint over it GREAT idea :lol:

Wiggie
27-05-03, 11:48 AM
i got totaly laughted at-at work. there is rust stopper out there, but i think this only slows it down. i had it explained to me once in a way i thought was quite funny,

"Rust is like cancer, the only way to stop it, is to chop it off and replace it"

god dam it i wish i had a welder

ade
27-05-03, 10:18 PM
mine was like that - all I did was remove the old sealant (which had failed) - then use a drill and a wire briush attachment to get rid of as much rust as possible, then use jenolite or similar rust inhibitor, then paint with hamerite, then reseal using grey stripe, then repaint over that with hamerite or spray it to match the engine bay.

Did mine 12 months ago and solid.

If you come across any holes though whilst doing this, then get it to a garage for some welding...

Check round the suspension strut mounts, theyre usually rusty on the joins.

Also - check underneath the seal - check the sealant aint failed there also.

Ade

mikeoxford
27-05-03, 11:20 PM
"Rust is like cancer, the only way to stop it, is to chop it off and replace it"

like you say prevention is not a cure so get it sorted asap, otherwise it spreads like you wouldnt believe :cry:

DUNOVA.
28-06-03, 05:23 PM
Mine is worse than that and all mine failed on thursday was the horn :lol:

DazK
28-06-03, 06:48 PM
waxoyllllllllllllllllllll :P

Aragorn
28-06-03, 07:15 PM
month old post!

_Ben_
28-06-03, 07:42 PM
There's only one way to treat rust and thats cut it out.

Every Nova I have owned has had inner wing trouble, its a scabby design by Vauxhall - and should I ever meet the chap who is responsible I'd like to have a long hard word with him, lol.

You'll need to burn off all the old paint and rust to assess how bad it is, hopefully its just at the lip and not any further into the chassis leg.

Wiggie
28-06-03, 11:09 PM
wooo, i thought this 1 died off a while back.

dave.gsi
28-06-03, 11:18 PM
it would probably die again if we stopped posting replies

Wiggie
28-06-03, 11:43 PM
VERY good point my boy, how ever u did contradict ya self

dave.gsi
29-06-03, 01:38 AM
i think this may be classed as post slagging if it goes on any longer lol

brian
29-06-03, 03:25 AM
as i say time and time again you guys need to get an Irish shell if you plan a full build as we have the cleanest shells. Any shell i use was either a 1.2 or 1l with a blown engine etc. and when i look around i can get them uncrashed and 100%rust free. The lack of rust is simple...we don't have salt put on our roads over here.
I had a shell sorted for ben richie last winter, sent pictures etc to him and next thing he disappeared off Novaload!
I used it then to build a GSi

http://www.novaload.net/forums/album_see.php?id=924
from what i know in the U.K there is mint shells but just not as common as Ireland.

Wiggie
29-06-03, 12:47 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ me thinks. if i sudenly get loaded i would

brian
29-06-03, 11:22 PM
if you are saying a shell would cost lots then no!
I bought the last two for 150 and 280. and thats euro.

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:27 PM
yeah mate paint over it GREAT idea :lol:

well if you remove the rust first like i said course it is :D dont want bare metal

mikeoxford
29-06-03, 11:27 PM
if you are saying a shell would cost lots then no!
I bought the last two for 150 and 280. and thats euro.

:o JEEZ! how much is ferry now adays?

brian
30-06-03, 02:05 AM
JEEZ! how much is ferry now adays?

well it can be worth yer while if yer interested.
Well ill be back home just before Trax and would be more than happy to sort out that kind of thing for people. I'm always watching out for Novas with clean shells that are regarded as scrap to their owners!
I would eventually love to get into building/restoring them on a bigger scale is i could