PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings

Iain
18-10-10, 05:36 PM
Just removed the front hub from the hub carrier/bearing and it's taken half the bearing with it.

Any tips for removing it, or is the process the same as this thread on the rear wheel bearings? http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155641

Cheers

mowgli
18-10-10, 05:52 PM
pretty much iain, just get medieval on it with a hammer & chisel...

Iain
18-10-10, 05:53 PM
What's the best way to clamp it in a vice to avoid damage? Or will it take whatever I can throw at it

mowgli
18-10-10, 05:58 PM
rest it on a decent block of wood. vices have a habit of undoing or damaging the surface of the object you are clamping

comptoncj
18-10-10, 06:03 PM
What i have done in the past is used a grinder to cut a slot in the bearing thats left on the hub and then split it with a chisel, taking care not to damage the hub of course.

MattBrown
18-10-10, 06:06 PM
pretty much iain, just get medieval on it with a hammer & chisel...

Ohh noes lol

If It's round the hub, then put about 10 small slits in it with a die grinder, then one sharp blow with a chisel.

Or, heat up and slide off.

mowgli
18-10-10, 06:07 PM
Ohh noes lol

If It's round the hub, then put about 10 small slits in it with a die grinder, then one sharp blow with a chisel.

Or, heat up and slide off.

go and watch some telly & leave this to the grownups...

Edd
18-10-10, 06:13 PM
^^^ lol lol lol

Off topic slightly but why are there two sizes of front wheel bearings listed at most places ? I thought all nova front bearings were the same ?

65 mm and 67 mm iirc

Damo
18-10-10, 06:36 PM
^^^ lol lol lol

Off topic slightly but why are there two sizes of front wheel bearings listed at most places ? I thought all nova front bearings were the same ?

65 mm and 67 mm iirc

Ive had this too i think its because of the change over between nova/corsa tbh.

Iain ive done the same saturday half my inner race came out with the hub all i did wsas heat it up with the oxy bottles and it slid off just be careful with the heat near the hub.

Damo.

Iain
18-10-10, 06:55 PM
Cheers all.

I'm not man enough to just use a hammer and chisel lol So I slotted it with my multitool and a cutting disc and smacked a screwdriver down the slot till it cracked, then it just came off really easy.

Did catch the hub with the disc slightly on one of them but hopefully shouldn't interfere with the fit.

On my thread searching I found the 64mm is for a Nova hub and the 66mm is for a Corsa hub.

mowgli
18-10-10, 07:05 PM
thats why one good thwack with a hammer & cold chisel is the correct way, as it never actually impacts on the surface you want to protect, but it is a bravery thing..

the nova only ever had the small bearing, its just poorly translated parts books that list the bigger one.