PDA

View Full Version : equal lenght measurement?

bazil
16-10-10, 06:33 PM
im wondering if its possable to use the big block equal lenght setup on 1600 with a F13?
im going to be using 5 stud big block hubs and shafts anyway the inner cv isnt a debate i know how to use a F13 and big block shafts,

so what im wondering is if the os shaft from the box to the back of the block ( bearing holder?) would be to long for the 1600 block? what lenght is this "middle" shaft?

R1CH
16-10-10, 06:36 PM
You'd have to fabricate the bracket which holds the bearing to support the shaft, the std one won't fit the small engine block.
Surely a 1600 8v isn't gonna suffer torque steer !?!?

bazil
16-10-10, 07:03 PM
ive got a turbo kit for it and will be looking for a minimum of 200 bhp, so any help to reduce any form of torque steer will be usefull,
my only basis of comparison was my brothers rs turbo running at 240 bhp, it was a fun car but suffered in the steering department.

i was one of the buyers in dave dixons shaft group buy so i have the outer shafts, just wondering if its going to measure up.

Sloth
16-10-10, 07:15 PM
in theory the length will be ok, but what inner cv you using?

bazil
16-10-10, 09:26 PM
Astra mk4 1800 inner, there was a thread a while ago I saved by the simps, chris astley even posted the part number for it,

Lee H
16-10-10, 10:49 PM
It won't work as the equal length bit doesn't run an inner CV joint, the shaft just goes straight into the diff so won't fit a small block diff.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s110/rickisgrate/astra%20build/Image0128.jpg

Sloth
16-10-10, 10:55 PM
bazil, call recoprop and get them to make an inner shaft to fit. £80ish quid iirc.

Edd
16-10-10, 10:57 PM
Where would you mount the bracket on a smallblock ?

Sloth
16-10-10, 11:06 PM
flat peice of .5mm steel, bolt it to 3-4 spare holes on the block, then drill it and bolt the cast bracket through it. easy

Paul
16-10-10, 11:29 PM
Torque steer is a load of cobblers my 350bhp 330ft/lb torque Nova does not 'torque steer'. Anyone who claims there car does needs to either a)have car checked over or b)just hold onto the wheel tighter.

Not habing a go at anyone but seriously bazil there is better things to spend your time and money on.

bazil
17-10-10, 12:10 AM
Paul thanks for your opinion, I went from my standard gsi to the S3 so never really had much experience of higher power FWD, i have a quickrack fitted and will be using an EPAS set up too so do you think that'll be enough?

Lee I didn't know about the shaft being shaft going straight into the diff, I don't want to go to the lenght of bigger side gears,

Thanks all for the info, I'll give it a miss :)

david dixon
17-10-10, 12:33 AM
Equal length shafts aren't made to reduced "torque steer" because i also believe its all just a word passed down over the years and taken out of context, the equal length setup is there to help reduce one wheel spinning more than the other which doesn't mean it has torque steer in the first place!.......But i do believe equal length shafts are a good modification if you are having bother with 1 wheel spinning!

I have only wrote this using my experience of drag racing over the last 12 year so i know enough to say that a short shaft will spin more on a unequal length setup!

David.

bazil
17-10-10, 12:50 AM
Well if it were to work on smallblock and F13 I'd need big block equal lenght setup and hubs and a diff with big side gears and a plate to hold the bearing carrier?

( the reason for the big block shafts is I'll be running 5 stud wheels so I thought I'd do a bit of over enginnering )

david dixon
17-10-10, 12:57 AM
I have never tried that but it does sound like you would need the lot and yeah i think its a bit too much for a small block tbh.
imo you would be better off buying a plated diff.

David.

bazil
17-10-10, 01:02 AM
lol a diff is on the shopping list but was thinking ATB, I won't be doing many drag strips or trackdays so drivability is more important in this case, as I said I got the equal lenght shafts from you then binned my idea of a LET build, I'll go with the big block shafts and hubs and a good diff,
you wouldn't have a o/s big block nova shaft lying around?

david dixon
17-10-10, 01:06 AM
ATB's are ok and for what you need it for i'm sure it'll do the job.
a conversion shaft? i'm not sure tbh i think we only have 1 set of equal's.

David.

bazil
17-10-10, 01:08 AM
That's what I have lol, I'll keep my eye out for a set, won't be needing shafts untill about a year from now lol, cheers for the info cheif.

david dixon
17-10-10, 01:09 AM
Never a problem mate

David.

Paul
17-10-10, 03:07 AM
I agree with Dave.

If i had the bits to do it i would, im not saying they're pointless. But i really wouldnt go to the hassle of fabricating bits to fit one.

A quaiffe ATB is a superb mod, id never own a powerful FWD car without a decent diff again.

Paul