PDA

View Full Version : Storing an engine

steviegsi
16-10-10, 12:24 AM
Going to be storing a c20xe in the near future. It will be stored inside a garage with the gearbox still attached . How should it be left to stop it seizing, probably for a few months by the time the cars ready. (maximum 6 months) Should it be left with oil in or out and turned over by hand every so often? How often? Any advice greatly received.:thumb:

Lee
16-10-10, 12:27 AM
Doesn't matter whether oils in it or not, just turn it over by hand every fortnight or so

steviegsi
16-10-10, 12:29 AM
Cheers Lee , that was quick!

AlexW
16-10-10, 12:31 AM
If your worried, drop of oil down the plug holes wont be a problem, just dont put too much down lol

Nova_Tek
16-10-10, 12:32 AM
I've had an engine not used for 7 years, outside in the cold and it was fine. It even ran for 5 years after before the headgasket went. And then after that it stood for 2 years and even started up after and ran (albeit on 2.5 cylinders lol)

It had oil and good antifreeze which probably helped stop it from getting damaged in some way.

Turning it by hand every so often will probably help. I'd personally keep oil in it.

Ben
16-10-10, 12:51 AM
As said doesnt matter too much i have stored engines out in the elements for years and always been ok, just look at your local scrap yard most engines are left lying round in the rain.

steviegsi
16-10-10, 02:06 AM
As said doesnt matter too much i have stored engines out in the elements for years and always been ok, just look at your local scrap yard most engines are left lying round in the rain.

Had thought of engines in scrapyards but it's always better to ask! Cheers everyone :thumb:

blue_peg_16v
16-10-10, 09:22 AM
my let 2.5 and a previous xe have all been stored with oil in and turned over every now and again never had a problem that reminds me havent turned the loon over for a couple of months lol

MattBrown
16-10-10, 09:34 AM
My xe has sat for 2 years now, apart from a 5 second fire up.

It's got about 7l of oil in, and is turned over every 2 weeks ish

Lee
16-10-10, 03:30 PM
It makkes no difference if you store it with oil in it or not, as it will onlybe lying in the bottom of the sump lol. I have heard of people brimming the engine completely with oil and storing it on its side, and then moving it to its other side every few months.

And antifreeze isn't an issue as there shouldn't be any water in it anyway, and any residual water should have antifreeze in it anyway.

Ben
16-10-10, 04:44 PM
I always used to drain my engines just incase they got knocked over and spilt there load everywhere!

Andy
16-10-10, 04:46 PM
I always used to drain my engines just incase they got knocked over and spilt there load everywhere!
Happened to me a couple of weeks ago in the back of my berlingo van,engine went over at the 1st roundabout lol
4 litres of burnt oil all over the place,there must have been a trail from my house to my mates' 34 miles away lol lol lol lol

Mazz
16-10-10, 04:49 PM
My XE was sat for about 5 years, no oil, no turning over, nothing infact! Just a top end refresh and plonked in!

mayhem
16-10-10, 05:23 PM
just put some oil on top of the pistons and turn it over a few good times.

i have a spare XE bottom end laying around like that, and no rust on the cilinders what so ever.