PDA

View Full Version : turbo not boosting?

Plug
14-10-10, 06:30 AM
right got my turbo back from a rebuild and bolted him alll on and connected it back to the car but it doesnt boost now???

any ideas?

Edd
14-10-10, 06:53 AM
Jeeez you got alot of problems with your let lol

Should of got a smallblock :d

Actuator set up right ?

Vacum lines as they should be ?

Plug
14-10-10, 12:17 PM
I wish I did get a small block now or well atleast an xe lol

Every thing is connected up as it was and I've got about 5-10mm pre-load on the actuator

Going to take it off again I suppose and check it over :(

The only other thing I did was changed the spark plugs over to then NGk ones people say to use.

Do you think I should put the Bosch ones back in that where in it? They have 4 bent over bits where the ngk ones have one

R1CH
14-10-10, 12:30 PM
Do you have a boost gauge fitted, what does it read, on idle and whilst driving, plugs won't make any odds to it not coming on boost.

Sloth
14-10-10, 12:49 PM
is the turbo actually spooling?

Plug
14-10-10, 01:24 PM
It has a boost gauge but that doesn't leave -1 bar to 0 bar as far as I'm aware it's spooling as it does dump just doesn't do anything over 2k revs

Stuart
14-10-10, 01:31 PM
just for a test drive, take the boost line off the dump valve (block the little hose obv)

Plug
14-10-10, 01:34 PM
I'm still using the standard kkk dump valve. So I take the hose off and block them both off?

Also a few people have told me to bypass the Amel valve is this ok to do?

Plug
14-10-10, 06:14 PM
:(

Dom
14-10-10, 06:18 PM
Are you sure you havent got any splits or small leaks on any of the boost pipes? With it running spray WD-40 round all the boot pipe joints to see if the revs rise if they do you have a leak.
And if you join the 2 pipes going to the amal valve it should just carry on boosting worth a try if you cant find any leaks.

Plug
14-10-10, 06:55 PM
will have a lookie tomorrow any more ideas would be good and save me taking it off :(

R1CH
14-10-10, 07:02 PM
I take it your oil pressure prob was actually ok then eh ?
Best bet is to go back and check all the pipe work, make sure theres no holes and that everything is tight, check intercooler ect ... is the wastegate valve ok, not stuck open or anything ?

Plug
14-10-10, 07:05 PM
waste gate moves freely,

Oil pressure is fine yea as soon as i took the plugs out and turned it over after an oil change it was coming out of the turbo :)

Will check all the pipes, maybe whip them all off and start again, think im going to bypass the amel valve aswell.

Benn
14-10-10, 08:25 PM
So when you put your foot down the boost rises on the gauge yes?
But wont get over 0?

Plug
14-10-10, 08:27 PM
correct it wont even get up to 0

Its not the actuator thou as i move it and its exactly the same

Benn
14-10-10, 09:59 PM
Can you hear the turbo spool up? As you could be able to... You need to make a vid of the boost gauge and the window open...

Plug
14-10-10, 10:20 PM
it does sound like it spools up but it doesnt much :( over 3k its like a diesel

i dont really want to drive it as it is benn tbh as i dont want to break the turbo :(

Going to whip off all vac hoses and boost hoses tomorrow and restart

Plug
15-10-10, 05:33 PM
right ive removed all boost pipes and put them all back on making sure all connections are tight, With the car running sprayed them all with wd40.

Ive noticed the silicone hose coming off the intercooler inlet side is collapsing when reved.

Im guessing this means the turbo isnt spooling as them pipes should be under pressure?????

Any ideas?

also just for now ive linked the 2 pipe outlets on the amel valve and the turbo to actuator just to bypass it

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:40 PM
wip the turbo back off, and make sure the inlet blades are connected to the exhaust ones

^ sounds tech honest lol

Plug
15-10-10, 05:41 PM
well im guessing the turbo peoples would have done that wouldnt they?

i had to have a new compresser wheel on it

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:43 PM
you never know lol

Plug
15-10-10, 05:44 PM
hmm ok i will check

am i right in saying the pipe should be under pressure and not collapse thou?

Benn
15-10-10, 05:45 PM
Sounds a bit odd, but i know Zlets suffer from that quite bad, that's why they all run the hard boost pipes..

When your making boost there should be pressure there. If its just idling it wont be as hard, but it should be collapsing tho.

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:45 PM
you getting a mega vac, theres no boost at all,

R1CH
15-10-10, 05:48 PM
Whats the air filter like, size wise, will it flow enough ? Its not blocked is it ?

Plug
15-10-10, 05:49 PM
piper cross foam thingy i've taken it off and try'd it does the same

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:49 PM
i take it when you rev it, the gauge fooks off into the -vac ?

Plug
15-10-10, 05:51 PM
gauge stays in -vac

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:52 PM
but does it get worse under load ?

Plug
15-10-10, 05:56 PM
yea

General Baxter
15-10-10, 05:57 PM
working your way down the air system

remove air filter, put hand over pipe, rev it, does it give you a love bite? if not, work your way down to the next join, and so on,

past the turbo, try there, then the intercooler, then the otherside, ect:

find that blockage, i bet its the turbo lol

R1CH
15-10-10, 06:00 PM
How was the turbo packaged when you got it back ? were all the inlets / exits all capped off ? something hasn't gone into the inlet side has it, paper / bubblewrap or summet ?

General Baxter
15-10-10, 06:02 PM
if theres no bubble wrap there, check the inlet side of the cooler lol

Plug
15-10-10, 06:10 PM
the turbo came in a sealed bag in a box full of polistirine (sp?) it didnt have anything blocking any of the holes up.

What you mean baxter check the inlet side of the cooler?

General Baxter
15-10-10, 06:10 PM
bubble wrap might have blown down into the cooler lol

its simple ether the turbo is not boosting, or theres an airblock

Plug
15-10-10, 06:13 PM
how i get rid of an airblock?

anyone want to buy a let? lol

Adam
15-10-10, 08:27 PM
So let me get this right, it sits -vac on idle, as it should, goes up to around 0 when driving, but never reaches + pressure (boost) ?
And this is a newly rebuilt turbo?

Plug
15-10-10, 08:35 PM
the turbo has been fully rebuilt and had a new compresser wheel fitted aswell.

I havent even done a mile with it yet, only driving up the road and realising theres no boost so reverse back down.

yes it never hits + vac

also seeing the pipe collapsing is making me think that the turbos not spinning up as it should be pressureised(sp?)

Sloth
15-10-10, 08:43 PM
correct you have a blockage, so the engines sucing all the air out of the intake pipes thus flattening them. strip the lot dowm and check. it may also have a collapsed ic core....

Plug
15-10-10, 08:51 PM
hmm i tryed taking the IC off today and it didnt want to lol think the hoses where glued on there :(

Will have another crack in the morning. well i have only got an hour really thats if im up at 7 :( haha

I think sunday is going to be a mass get this god dam car working spree

So we have come to the conclusion its either a blockage between the turbo and inlet or the turbo isnt spinning?

Sloth
15-10-10, 08:56 PM
yus. as for sticky pips, steal your mums pallet knife and push it between the pipe and cooler. then run it all the way round. :)

Plug
15-10-10, 09:00 PM
Right so im thinking the turbo place wouldnt send out a turbo that the compresser wheel isnt working on so the air block sounds the more reasonable one.

Will try and whip the cooler off tomorrow, How do i see if its blocked? Blow in it? lol

Sloth
15-10-10, 09:10 PM
lol yeah. or looks for blockages in it.

General Baxter
15-10-10, 09:11 PM
before you take the cooler off,

remove the pipe from the turbo to cooler, then see if the pipe sucks in again,

this would means theres a blockage in the cooler

Plug
15-10-10, 09:20 PM
yea but it wont run then baxter lol

Or will it if i leave the AFM connected?

General Baxter
15-10-10, 09:24 PM
connect the AFM to the other bloody side, dumb ass lol

Plug
15-10-10, 09:28 PM
huh? thought the afm had to go before the turbo

the wires wont reach the other bloody side lol