PDA

View Full Version : Rally spectator help please.

Pistol Pete
13-10-10, 09:00 PM
Me and some mates are off to Wales for the Welsh rally in November. Got the tickets and stuff the other day.

Just wanted to know if any off here had been or to any other rally? Just after some hints and tips for getting about. Going in 2 cars. Will probably leave one at Margam park then bundle into the other and head up to the stages. Then back to Margam for the final then off to Cardiff bay for the final ceremony.

Thanks in advance.

GroupB
13-10-10, 09:21 PM
Make sure you get there really early, get well wrapped up to keep warm and dry and make sure you've got some hot drinks....
Depending on what the stage is like expect do some serious walking to get a good spot...
Enjoy yourselves.

SR-Rally
13-10-10, 09:24 PM
Come watch hafren and myherin (sp) :s best forestry around :)

bazil
13-10-10, 09:25 PM
Plan for a wet event, also bung some spare socks and shoes in the boot, nothing worse that being cold and wet as it'll cut your day and enjoyment short. Warm and dry = a full days spectating.

Andy
13-10-10, 09:27 PM
take a flask,take warm and waterproof clothing.Stay in a safe area.

brainsnova
13-10-10, 09:30 PM
go for a number 2 before you leave the house.

Novasport
13-10-10, 09:31 PM
As above, sensible footwear is a must plus plenty of layers of clothes and importantly waterproofs for the wonderful Welsh weather.
You need to keep warm as you will do a lot of standing about.

We did it last in a small van and we had a stove and plenty of kit in there as we were marshalling and could park on stage, very early!
On stages we werent marshalling we went off road and parked in a field etc. On one stage, the nice farmer whos land we had parked in had his hand out for some cash on our return lol

On an earlier year we went in my black SR, I remember sleeping in the back of it whilt parked in Sweet Lamb. The car was parked on a steep hill so wasn't the comfiest. Atmosphere was great though with people huddling round a couple of camp fires.

Later ones we stopped in Travel Lodges and went into Cardif every night :)

Not been for a few years, need to get myself down again.

mowgli
13-10-10, 09:31 PM
woolly hat is an absolute necessity... seriously, get some decent OS maps, and research the stage entrances etc.

Spudly
13-10-10, 09:35 PM
take a flask,take warm and waterproof clothing.Stay in a safe area.

Exactly and dont stray from the marked areas and do not cross the track mid stage like some of the nobs we saw at the rally yorkshire last month:eek:

Pistol Pete
13-10-10, 09:57 PM
Cheers for the replies chaps! Warm clothing and tea/coffee will be a must. Not fussed about the cold, rain will be crap. But this is england!!

Come watch hafren and myherin (sp) :s best forestry around

Going sunday only, so Resolfen and Margam park only for us.

Mike
13-10-10, 10:11 PM
Keep to the appointted speccy areas.

Pistol Pete
13-10-10, 10:13 PM
Having been heavily involved in motorsport since i was a lad, i am not about to start breaking the rules now!! :thumb:

Lee
13-10-10, 11:28 PM
A few of us always go up for the Wyedean every year.

There may not be many marked areas, somethimes there arn't any, only marked areas you CANNOT stand.

I always position myself on the inside of a bend either where there is a steep bank or plenty of trees for protection. Dont stand in open areas as rallycars can defy the laws of phisics sometimes lol

And only cross the track mid stage if you are well within earshot of a whistleblower :)

Ernie
14-10-10, 12:01 AM
As Lee said find a big tree to jump behind..

Deanosri
15-10-10, 01:28 PM
Planning your rally will make it so much better, so you know exactly where you need to be and what time for etc. Ive attended many and its no good gettin 2 a stage as the last couple of cars are coming through, I know!:roll: I take a backpack with a packed lunch, flask, few tinnies and a roll of bog roll inlol

Fow16v
15-10-10, 01:35 PM
which days are you planning and which stages, a few of us have been the last few years and its a great event. halfway is a great stage for viewing and awsome when they come through in the dark as it has views accross the valley. its normally very windy and very cold up there i always take a big high vis waterproof coat, hoody, waterproof trousers 2 pairs of sock on and a pair of boots. also take spare clothes in the car and food coffee etc.

Hoochie
15-10-10, 01:44 PM
We've done the McRae stages up in the borders for the last couple years ( he's done every year i've done the last 2) and it is planned like a military operation, maps and courses are printed off in advance, all marked up which stage we can make,how much time we have to get to them, where we can spectate without paying a small fortune.
Being the borders the weather is always pants so we always wear plenty of layers( easily removed if weather changes) including waterproofs( high vis jackets) and a good pair of boots. Enough food to last the day and definately flasks of coffee....:)

Pistol Pete
15-10-10, 05:16 PM
which days are you planning and which stages, a few of us have been the last few years and its a great event. halfway is a great stage for viewing and awsome when they come through in the dark as it has views accross the valley. its normally very windy and very cold up there i always take a big high vis waterproof coat, hoody, waterproof trousers 2 pairs of sock on and a pair of boots. also take spare clothes in the car and food coffee etc.

Going on the sunday. Looking to view at Resolfen and Margam park. And going to see the final in Cardiff Bay.

lol will be packing extra layers!!!

Pistol Pete
13-11-10, 09:16 PM
Woop. Up early tomorrow. 5am!! Will take pics and report back!

Cle
13-11-10, 09:21 PM
Im at pretty much every round of the scottish rally championship and Mull rally, best thing to is be warm and have a camera :thumb: also have something to hide behind when the first nova comes past and crash's lol

88ESR
13-11-10, 09:27 PM
Try and avoid the old Group B craze of touching the cars as they fly by..

People (mainly nutty Italians) used to loose fingers!!lol

Bubba
13-11-10, 09:45 PM
lots of tea...as long as you have more than enough tea...you shall be fine