PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 sri stalling problems

josh-sri
13-10-10, 07:42 PM
Hi all, im really stuck with a problem im having on my 1.4 sri nova ( c14se) and wondered if anybody can help. Basically when ive given it abit of a thrashing up the road when im slowing down and put the clutch in the engine just stalls?? If i bump the car off again whilst im moving its fine for a while but then does it the next time i drive it hard in the lower gears. Its getting annoying and isnt really safe when coming up to roundabouts etc. Its started doing it when ive spent along time cruising in 5th aswell now, motorways etc. If anybody has any ideas id be very grateful, hope i havnt missed anything

thanks alot

josh

Royston
13-10-10, 07:52 PM
would guess the idle control valve is gummed up, would try removing it cleaning and reinstall.

Nova_Tek
13-10-10, 07:57 PM
When it doesn't stall, how does it idle? Does it idle at constant revs or does the revs drop, pick up and generally not idle well? If this is the case then it does sound like your idle control valve.

josh-sri
13-10-10, 08:08 PM
Thanks for your replies, It idles spot on all the time thats why im confused:confused: . I was thinking that when the revs are dropping from accelerating there dropping too much and causing the engine to stall? if that makes sense, but i havnt a clue what controls this. I was going to adjust the tickover but like i said it ticks over fine any other time so it would tick over too high if i change it.

thanks again

josh

Nova_Tek
13-10-10, 08:10 PM
If it's an injection engine the idle control valve adjusts the idle. Best to take it off, clean it up using some carb cleaner, lube it up and put it back. Does the car drive ok at low revs (under 2000 rpm) or does it kangeroo splutter?

josh-sri
13-10-10, 08:38 PM
i'll have a go at cleaning that in the morning then:thumb: , it drives fine all the time mate, thats why its just become one of those niggling problems i want to solve. Once i learnt to bump it off and kind of "feel" when it was going to stall i learnt to live with itlol

josh