PDA

View Full Version : Low offet wheels

DAN-F
13-10-10, 01:13 AM
would using quite wide low affset wheels to fill a set of wide arches on a track car affect the handling really badly?
looking for a way to fll the arches up andim failing to find a wide track kit anywhere, thinking wide tyres = more grip etc

bazil
13-10-10, 01:21 AM
Yes but go too low and too wide and hitting the inner arch will be a problem, hub spacers are also used to fill out the arches.

Edit, IMO sticking wide wheels on a standard rear beam and front hubs will shorten the bearing life, the rear is easily widened using hub spacers ( waldens wide track kit used this method ) the front is harder to do properly but could be done diy if you give it plenty of thought.

DAN-F
13-10-10, 02:37 AM
I thought lower offset would push them further ot from the inner arch, or is it the other way around?

bazil
13-10-10, 02:42 AM
The will but on the front if they are to wide on full lock they will foul the arch, my old sr done it with only 35mm et and 6 inch wide, look up Dan ( from admin ) his grey nova is wide arch and wide wheeled,

bazil
13-10-10, 03:14 AM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89482&page=53

DAN-F
13-10-10, 03:23 AM
cheers mate

stt
13-10-10, 03:23 AM
if you alter the offset you will effect the scrub radius which isnt ideal

Edd
13-10-10, 04:28 AM
Looking forward to my et33's lol

bazil
13-10-10, 04:39 AM
lol mine were BBS ra, golf gti ones, the sr was lowered about 80mm it was really low so that may contribute to the rubbing,
just fit lock stops Edd lol

Jack
13-10-10, 08:18 AM
thinking wide tyres = more grip etc
Thats a bit of a generalization unfortunately. There was an interesting yak on PH a few years back about wider tyres = more grip, but everyone was making the assumption that wider tyres = bigger contact area - which isn't necessarily the case. You'd need to change the pressure to change the actual footprint area (although a different footprint shape DOES give different properties of grip) which is why people take a few psi out of their tyres on the drag strip.

There are some very interesting threads out there on the subject, if you have a head for physics. If not, there's some very boring threads out there on the subject. lol

stevie-p
13-10-10, 10:46 AM
ive got 9x16 et15 on a lowerd 325 with a e36 rack which gives a lot more lock, its awfull tbh

craig green
13-10-10, 10:53 AM
too much grip makes a car boring, some progressive slide is better.

Sloth
13-10-10, 12:26 PM
is the o.p just trying to fit ripspeed bargain bin et25 offset shonktastic rims?

Stuart
13-10-10, 01:03 PM
too much grip makes a car boring, some progressive slide is better.

I dunno... Dans car was pretty damn exciting lol

craig green
13-10-10, 01:28 PM
what are you saying? It needs more grip? LOL

I know what I meant, though my comment is kinda aimed more at tyres than wheel width in particular.

personally having driven a Nova that had et 40 7x15 TSW's, it was shocking to steer & hold in a straight line. I've never had anything but GM et 49 (47.5) wheels.

MK999
13-10-10, 03:34 PM
There are some very interesting threads out there on the subject, if you have a head for physics. If not, there's some very boring threads out there on the subject. lol

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tune-Win-Carroll-Smith/dp/0879380713

Best/easiest way to understand all you need to know in more, just bear in mind he's a race tech, not an engineer, so although the effects are correct for reasons that make sense and explain it perfectly, it may not be how it actually works for the correct reasons. That won't bother you unless you take it further though.

mayhem
13-10-10, 05:16 PM
1day, and you are used to it.

all that crap about bearings and sh!t handling.. my wheels are 7.5j et -1 and i have no problem what so ever.
and my bearings are still perfect.

DAN-F
13-10-10, 07:00 PM
what are you saying? It needs more grip? LOL

I know what I meant, though my comment is kinda aimed more at tyres than wheel width in particular.

personally having driven a Nova that had et 40 7x15 TSW's, it was shocking to steer & hold in a straight line. I've never had anything but GM et 49 (47.5) wheels.

Understand what you mean about et49 offset wheels but its a track car with a wide arch kit, even with a proper wide track conversion,surely the geometry would be different anyway.