PDA

View Full Version : in car fuel tank(track car)

16v Nova Kev
12-10-10, 07:36 PM
hi folks i want a in car smaller petrol tank for my track car.something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-DRAG-FUEL-TANK-10-LITRE-2-2-GALLON-w-Sender-AN10-/330482301314?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf247b982

but dont know if it would hold enough fuel and do they stink the car out:confused:

Mazz
12-10-10, 07:54 PM
10litres isn't a lot really, all depends how long you want to stay out for..

16v Nova Kev
12-10-10, 08:01 PM
each session is about 10mins long. god knows what that will equate to in fuel. maybe a 30 litre one would be better.

BRoadGhost
12-10-10, 08:35 PM
The hint is in the title ~Drag

Tiny capacity & no sight gauge will make for pure misery.

alloy 42 liter with gauge is what I run & it's perfect.

16v Nova Kev
12-10-10, 08:36 PM
cool cheers.

R1CH
12-10-10, 08:52 PM
alloy 42 liter with gauge is what I run & it's perfect.

If your going for that capacity then why not just run the standard tank ?
Surely the std tank is in the ideal position, central and low down, granted an alloy tank will be lighter but then you have to compromise on its position, usually where the spare wheel was, higher and further back than the std tank !

MARTIN KELSON
12-10-10, 09:20 PM
As for do they stink in the car.

Mine does!

But after fitting tank & now i realise its NOT the tanks that smell its the fuel lines!
If your planning on running braided fuel lines, they vent fumes by design. They are not suitable to be used inside a vehicle.
You need braided lines that are coated to stop the venting of fumes. Unfortunatlety the price per meter is considerably more expensive.
I may take the plunge this winter & change all my lines in an attempt to stop the smell!

16v Nova Kev
12-10-10, 09:21 PM
how bad is it.

MARTIN KELSON
12-10-10, 10:14 PM
how bad is it.

I dont use my car much so when i go to it & its been closed up & covered in the garage for few weeks, when you open the door the petrol smell hits you.

I drive normally with the window open an inch & as soon as you get air circulating you dont notice it anymore.

If its a track car only then you may be ok. If you use it as a daily then you wont cope with the smell.

pikey1986
12-10-10, 10:29 PM
is it something like PTFE lined hose's you need to stop the smell?

Mike
12-10-10, 10:31 PM
Correct, the lines stink the car out, not the tank. Mine lines in my white Nova came in about £80 for the lot, only ever smelt on very hot days.

Duck your head inside any decent rally car an youll always get a minor wiff of fuel though.

MARTIN KELSON
12-10-10, 10:33 PM
is it something like PTFE lined hose's you need to stop the smell?

Think so mate.

May pop & see the hydraulics company that i use next Tuesday when i'am off to the engine mapper to see what they sell.

mk1nova_rich
12-10-10, 10:34 PM
If your going for that capacity then why not just run the standard tank ?
Surely the std tank is in the ideal position, central and low down, granted an alloy tank will be lighter but then you have to compromise on its position, usually where the spare wheel was, higher and further back than the std tank !

are you sure about that?! i would put money on the pressed steel standard tank being just as light if not lighter than a welded alloy one

Mike
12-10-10, 10:35 PM
Its not really the weight you want to worry about, its the location. Centrally mounted, lowest possible part of the vehicle.

mk1nova_rich
12-10-10, 10:39 PM
Its not really the weight you want to worry about, its the location. Centrally mounted, lowest possible part of the vehicle.

standard tank in standard location then lol?!

Mike
12-10-10, 10:40 PM
standard tank in standard location then lol?!

Yep.

If its weight saving your after your better off looking elsewhere on the car, alot more gain for a lot less hassle.

Mark
12-10-10, 10:42 PM
On a side note, did anyone ever make a Nova tank in plastic?

R1CH
12-10-10, 10:43 PM
are you sure about that?! i would put money on the pressed steel standard tank being just as light if not lighter than a welded alloy one

Could be right, another reason why changing to a similar size alloy tank is pointless !!

Mike
12-10-10, 10:46 PM
This is why bag tanks we're invented lol full size (capacity) weight about 2kg when empty lol

R1CH
12-10-10, 11:06 PM
If you wanna have an alloy tank inside the car, then why not use hardlines instead of braided ones ? no fuel smell, problem solved !!

Mike
12-10-10, 11:08 PM
Could do on a road car I suppose.

L14MNP
13-10-10, 04:31 PM
If you wanna have an alloy tank inside the car, then why not use hardlines instead of braided ones ? no fuel smell, problem solved !!

Because most people are just after the look, and the line form a large part of that. lol

I agree with you though. Especially on keeping the stock tank.

BRoadGhost
13-10-10, 10:05 PM
My god just listen to some of you:-

~ a standard steel item will be as light as an alloy one…

~ the location standard is perfect central & low…

For starters capacity WASN'T main priority - moving the oe item was for four reasons:-

The weight ISN'T where you want it; people talking as if a nova is a perfectly engineered & balanced car from the factory like an exige.

The entire space is required for the exhaust.

The space is better used to strengthen the chassis.

Gives additional aero proper mounting.

The smell inside is enough that you'll need a constant source of ventilation, but if you can't coupe with that sort of thing you'd probably complain about intrusive induction noise too x_X

Then there's the function gain over oe tank with a foam filled item.

Mark
13-10-10, 10:14 PM
The weight ISN'T where you want it;

lollollollol

16v Nova Kev
13-10-10, 10:16 PM
lol^ well said. i wanted one for.
1.looks
2.thought it would weigh less
3.didn't like the thought of driving about the track with a full tank due to shonky sender units.

Mike
13-10-10, 10:19 PM

~ the location standard is perfect central & low…

For starters capacity WASN'T main priority - moving the oe item was for four reasons:-

The weight ISN'T where you want it; people talking as if a nova is a perfectly engineered & balanced car from the factory like an exige.

The entire space is required for the exhaust.

The space is better used to strengthen the chassis.

Gives additional aero proper mounting.

The smell inside is enough that you'll need a constant source of ventilation, but if you can't coupe with that sort of thing you'd probably complain about intrusive induction noise too x_X

Then there's the function gain over oe tank with a foam filled item.

Come on then, enlighten us.

Ive noticed on a lot of technical threads you reply to, you imply everyone else is wrong yet you never explain why they are? I mean yeah ok ideally some argue the weight should between the rear turrets, but in a nova hatchback, fitting a tank there would be arkward TBH.

So please, educate us on non static laiden weight distribution. (not having a go, far from it just pointing out an observation myself an few others have noticed)

Bubba
13-10-10, 10:24 PM

loada bollocks that one...

c20tbo
13-10-10, 10:58 PM
52ltr pro alloy in my car, work of art, not in a nova however

BRoadGhost
14-10-10, 09:08 PM
Where's the fun in spelling everything out straight away?

If you think about what will improve a front engined front wheel drive car where most of the weight is at one end, it's not rocket science to figure out what will help balance it out better.

Unless of course a car with near 50/50 weight distribution ISN'T your thing.

Mark
14-10-10, 09:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CorsaNova/Fun/bellend.jpg

mowgli
14-10-10, 09:40 PM
Where's the fun in spelling everything out straight away?

If you think about what will improve a front engined front wheel drive car where most of the weight is at one end, it's not rocket science to figure out what will help balance it out better.

a front wheel drive car would be horrendous with 50:50 weight distribution. it works on a decent rear wheel drive car because of weight transfer, but a fwd is nearer 67:33 and hanging weight behind the rear axle line creates a bit of a pendulum effect.

16v Nova Kev
14-10-10, 09:43 PM
:(

BRoadGhost
14-10-10, 09:50 PM
http://bigboystattoo.com/catal/hi%20hater%20vol.1-Shocky/Lhi%20hater%20vol.1-Shocky.jpg

mowgli
14-10-10, 09:54 PM
i'm no hater, i can see the point of an ally internal tank on a stage rally car, or in a form of competition where it is mandatory, and lots of people like the look. but for me, i would put it at the back of a list of modifications, that is all

Mike
14-10-10, 09:55 PM
^^opinion rather then hater....

Stuart
14-10-10, 09:55 PM

So not an Exige then ;)

60/40 R/F

BRoadGhost
14-10-10, 09:59 PM
How can the back end become a pendulum when you think only 33% of the weight is at that point? SO we gonna say the difference between a tank in the back VS a tank in the middle changes it to 62/38 & you think that's a bad thing?

Tell me why a front wheel drive car with perfect weight distribution would be "terrible" because the example I drive is a fcuking joy that destroys FF front end heavy sh1t.

Stuart
14-10-10, 10:02 PM
the velise is very pendulumy (yes its a word) with a heavy ass.....

load the front up, the back end needs no weight in it really (Dans wide arch is a fine example) to keep going with ease.

So what is it that you drive that blows FF out of the water?

Mike
14-10-10, 10:05 PM
How can the back end become a pendulum when you think only 33% of the weight is at that point? SO we gonna say the difference between a tank in the back VS a tank in the middle changes it to 62/38 & you think that's a bad thing?

Tell me why a front wheel drive car with perfect weight distribution would be "terrible" because the example I drive is a fcuking joy that destroys FF front end heavy sh1t.

You'll notice a word in Mowgli's post... the word "bit", as in "a bit" as in a little bit of a pendulum effect. But you seem to have gone from a "bit" to "a" as in, a complete pendulum effect? Thats not what he implied....

Ok, it might be a joy to you, but to another it could ****, it could merely ok, or even average? And out of pure curiosity, do you go around corner weighting cars much?

mowgli
14-10-10, 10:05 PM
what is your 'perfect weight distribution' car then??

novaxe235
14-10-10, 10:14 PM
My tanks in the rear behind the turret's, and it's huge possibly 200 litre's or more and to be fair it's always seemed OK to drive with. The only reason i did it was more of a experiment to see if it would be any "good" + the alloy sheet was free and it took me a couple of hours to tig together. http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/novaxe235/novasunnypics011-1.jpg

BRoadGhost
14-10-10, 10:20 PM
Now we're getting down to it. People actually wanna know what it's like to drive a balanced out FF car like a nova.

Corner weighting..? Well how else are you going to set a chassis up? Guess work?

Dunno I'm just some Bell End.

Mike
14-10-10, 10:24 PM
Id say more antagonistic then bell end. Maybe even slightly arrogant....

With regards to corner weighting, do you really think all these motorsport preperation firms across the land corner weight every car they build. Er no. Far from it. An from previous tarmac cars Ive owned, worked on, ones I driven & copiloted the guess work has been nigh on perfect.

But each to there I suppose. Opinions an all that.

Stuart
14-10-10, 10:36 PM
**** dyno is almost as good as poncey setup gear....

PLUS how do you know the settings from setup gear are right, oh yes, by driving and seeing if they feel right.

An exige isnt prefectly setup, but hell its fun. A front Heavy nova is a good giggle... 50/50/50/50 isnt the be all and end all

BRoadGhost
14-10-10, 11:02 PM
Depends on what you want & how to drive it.

I know I'm aiming for 50/50 as in my experience every little thing I've changed for that goal throughout the years of ownership has put things closer to where I wanna be with it.

To say adding weight behind rear wheels isn't right is as spot on as how far forwards past the front wheels the engine & gearbox is...

IT AIN'T RIGHT - but that never put any of us lot off.

mowgli
15-10-10, 06:45 PM
over the decades, there have been very few great racing drivers who were also great engineers.....

i point this out because, people's opinion of how well a car goes is usually completely different to real engineering fact.

some people love a certain tyre, others don't.

the whole dynamic of a fwd car involves putting lots of weight over the driving wheels, or you end up like the only fwd car i know of with 50:50 weight dist., namely the cadillac eldorado. and it is just shyte, in every way.