PDA

View Full Version : 1.3SR head on 1.2?

dj-stryke
24-05-03, 05:35 PM
Right, been stripping my 1.3SR. Got the head, and the cam carrier off of it, and I'm just wondering what exactly I can and can't swap over.

I'd like to use, the SR cam, inlet manifold and the carb. I've seen certain T-Piece piping, which looks like I'll need so I've kept them back. Was going to use the whole SR head on my 1.2, but noticed the pistons have cut-outs for the valves on them, so, can't remember whether my 1.2 had that or not.

I know with the 1.2, it's a 'safe' engine, where if the cambelt breaks, the pistons can't hit the valves and do my top end in, is the 1.3SR the same?

Also, has anyone done anything like this, if they could post on here, just any help, I'd really apreciate it!

Thanks a lot, Ian

Nova-Boy
24-05-03, 06:27 PM
the 1.2 and 1.3 heads are very similar. The inlet and exhaust ports are basically the same. The cut out in the the bottom of the head has a slightly larger "crown cavity" giving it a very little increase in cc but would reduce compression.

May as well stick with the 1200 head unless there is something up with it.

Snowface
24-05-03, 06:28 PM
you want to keep the 1.2 head on
If u use 1.3 then it will lower ur compression in pistins and mean less bhp.
Just swap cams over not whole heads.

dj-stryke
24-05-03, 06:33 PM
Ok, nice one guys. So, to use the cam, is there anything I will need off of the Sr head, or will it literally just 'slide' into mine?

Also, I'm hoping to use the SR dash. Is there any useful tips I could have when changing these over? I've located the green wire which goes to the coil, and that doesn't look a problem, but getting the actual dash out! (note I mean the dials, not the whole dashboard).

So, any tips with converting that, would help a lot too!

Stuart
24-05-03, 06:47 PM
take the followers, the metal fingers from the SR and put them in exactly the same order/place on the 1.2!

Nova-Boy
24-05-03, 08:59 PM
make sure you use the same lifters and followers etc on the same cam if you know what i mean.

dj-stryke
24-05-03, 11:20 PM
Good advice people, is really helping, apreciate it.

But, can anyone answer my dash questions?

It's probably really simple, but how do you get the dials/clocks out from the dash? (I know that's probably a silly question, it looks like it should be able to pop out, but we can't make it!)

Also, how many other hoses, electrical bits etc will I need for the SR inlet manifold and carb, when putting it onto my 1.2 head? (they're both mk1's)

Cheers people!

Nova-Boy
25-05-03, 12:18 AM
well the dash should pop out like you said. Try using a flat scredriver to pop out the bottom then lever out the top. A bit tricky to get it out far enough to un hook the speedo but you shoulod be able to manage if i could do it with a brocken wrist and fingers!!

As for the carb and inlet. Are you changing froma normal to a twin auto choke? They should just all swap over i think. Let us know what you have got.

Snowface
25-05-03, 10:56 AM
the auto choke 2e3 had 2 hose going into it and 1 going out of it to the cooling system. Also is connected to something electrical, i think the Coil. Its so the auto choke knows when to turn off - When engine warms and electric also turns it off after a period.

You can buy manual choke conversions for it which is what i'm going to do (i already got the cable there from my 1b1). But the only one i seen os ?49 +vat & delivery. But i think thats what i'm going to have to get if i can't find it cheaper.

hope that helps.

dj-stryke
25-05-03, 01:39 PM
Ok, I'll try just pulling my old dash/clocks out. Looks like it should, just didn't want to force it you know?

Also, I'd like someone to confirm that the old electrical block will just click into the Sr dash, from my 1.2 dash? I'm guessing it will, with me just needing to run the wire from the rev-tacho to the coil, right? There's actually a brown and green wire though, which might be oil pressure, where does that one go to, if anyone knows...

The inlet and carb are off the mk1 1.3SR and yeah it's an auto-choke one. I'm pretty sure we've detected the t-piece splitts in the hoses, so that should work out fine...and I'll have a look for the electrical wire which controlls the choke.

mikeoxford
26-05-03, 10:28 PM
Also, I'd like someone to confirm that the old electrical block will just click into the Sr dash, from my 1.2 dash? .

it will as they all use the same design plug, but just check from the two looms that all the wiring is the same as some times they move the wires about in the plugs