PDA

View Full Version : c20xe bottom end capabilitys and tuning??

ggilson92
12-10-10, 01:44 PM
hi guys
just bought a mk1 nova with a c20xe in it and wanted to know what sort of power output can the bottom end handle before i start modifying it.
eventually, im thinking TB's cams and pulleys, 4-2-1 mani and stainless zaust.
im not wanting to go turbo yet, so i want to see what sort of power i can get from the xe.
so basically, how far can i push the bottom end??
any other surgestions on c20xe tunning are happily welcomed
cheers guys

Sloth
12-10-10, 02:17 PM
buy some arp rod bolts. also what year is the xe? the cam will have a date stamped on it.

ggilson92
12-10-10, 02:22 PM
i know its later than a 93 from a cav gsi. il have a look for a date when i drag myself out of bed. iv heard good things about those bolts, would it be worth getting some nice new forged items (ie. pistons and rods) while its in peices??
cheers again

Sloth
12-10-10, 02:31 PM
hard to say, if your going for bodies, management cams and port work, yeah. it depends what you want it to do. there is a user called phillip iirc on here who knows his ****, also try jonlem on here too. if tis a dispak (coilpack) motor it will have the klater cheaper pistons in it, early xe's had mahles.

ggilson92
12-10-10, 02:34 PM
well then i must have the cheapo pistons. so forged it will have to be. i know this is a stupid queston but how much should i expect to pay for a re-build if i supply the pistons rods n bolts etc??

Sloth
12-10-10, 02:48 PM
depends on wheter it needs a hone or a line bore etc.