PDA

View Full Version : Another week, A New Problem!

RossRog
12-10-10, 09:33 AM
hiya people

after driving home from work last night about fifteen miles into my trip my steering wheel shook very bad all of a sudden i pulled over soon as i could thinking a wheels was about to fall off!

jumped out the car there was alot of smoke coming from the passenger wheel, i could feel the heat coming off it. i assumed the break calliper was locked on so let the breaks cool down an then decided to try letting the handbreak off an see if i could roll the car back an forth which yes it was all moving fine, so carried on with my trip with out any problems an went out last night in the car did about 30 miles with no worries at all.

same has happened today again about 15miles into my trip to work the shaking started. exactly the same problem let the breaks cool an it was fine to go again.

just wondering what could be causing this i wanted to get bigger breaks an it seems a good time to do it however i do not have the funds to do this til the end of the month just my luck!

can anyone help? i don't understand how when the breaks cool it is all fine again with no problems if the calliper was sticking would it not be on an stick on?

1chiz
12-10-10, 04:12 PM
I'm no mechanic but if your discs are warped then they will expand when hot a catch but will shrink when cold and be better again. Possibly caliper seizing. It happened on my 205gti when i was driving to scotland and it sheared the disc away from the hub i had 100miles left to do and it would occasionally twist and lock up the back wheels, never been so scared in my life!

david dixon
17-10-10, 12:48 AM
can you hear any noise while driving?

David.

RossRog
18-10-10, 09:14 AM
i also thought about the disks being warped but after they cool they travel through fine an there is no juddering under breaking,

an no nothing catches that you can hear, i got a mate to lisen as i drove slowly past!

david dixon
18-10-10, 09:29 AM
i'm going with shot track rod end or ball joint

David.

mowgli
18-10-10, 09:42 AM
my money is on the caliper & disc

Mazz
18-10-10, 09:47 AM
What about some stuck in the pads/disks?

Sloth
18-10-10, 12:26 PM
my cash is on a flexi breaking dowm inside and acting as a one way valve, so he drives for 15 miles and every press of the pedal puts more pressure to that caliper. then leaving it for a bit lets the fluid go back slowly.

maddogdaz666
19-10-10, 03:13 PM
Id replace the callipers and flexis.

RossRog
20-10-10, 12:30 PM
i will be repacing the calipers an disks now, but its not done it now since i posted this up. an i drive it everyday!

maddogdaz666
20-10-10, 06:41 PM
Thats called: Sods law