PDA

View Full Version : Rocker cover paint?

Danb1987
11-10-10, 08:01 PM
what paint will i need for my let rocker cover? im wanting it orange.... would it be easier to get it powder coated??

dan

vauxluva
11-10-10, 08:16 PM
I just went down the hamerite route i have an 8v tho ?

nova_saloon
11-10-10, 08:20 PM
Powder coating it no more heat resistant then normal 2k paint. i would just use nitromors to get the old paint off (takes a while) then use some good quality paint, not rattle can crap will just end up having everything stick to it!

MattBrown
11-10-10, 08:37 PM
Powder coating it no more heat resistant then normal 2k paint. i would just use nitromors to get the old paint off (takes a while) then use some good quality paint, not rattle can crap will just end up having everything stick to it!

Really?

It takes 180 degree oven to put it on, where as 2k is 32 degrees.

LEWI007
11-10-10, 08:45 PM
Ive painted a few with rattle cans before and never had any problems with them.

Nova_Tek
11-10-10, 08:47 PM
I've used rattle cans before aswell with no problem. It just needs to be prepped really well, with plenty of coats and let to harden properly.

craig green
11-10-10, 08:49 PM
Whatever you use will be best cured on with some light heat.

The last rocker cover I had, someone canned up black, I ws the first to run it on an engine & it turned manky straight away. Powder coat or VHT FTW IMO.

Danb1987
11-10-10, 09:00 PM
I think iv decided on a ford signal orange theme so with decent prepping and a good few coats it should be alright??

LEWI007
11-10-10, 09:13 PM
just clean the camcover up give it a bit sand down.

Put a coat of primer on it or some other light colour paint then spray it, put a good few coats on. Id lacquer it aswell.

Then stick it ontop of your radiator or something at home and leave it overnight and it should be alright.

Ive done it before with no problems

Danb1987
11-10-10, 09:18 PM
just clean the camcover up give it a bit sand down.

Put a coat of primer on it or some other light colour paint then spray it, put a good few coats on. Id lacquer it aswell.

Then stick it ontop of your radiator or something at home and leave it overnight and it should be alright.

Ive done it before with no problems
Cheers mate! Il get on with it soon!

nova_saloon
12-10-10, 12:02 AM
Really?

It takes 180 degree oven to put it on, where as 2k is 32 degrees.

Thats just drying, where as powder coating cures. believe me there isnt much difference, wheels are usually painted with car paint as are the cam covers. there usually fine