PDA

View Full Version : Advice about 1.3sr cams

1chiz
10-10-10, 11:46 PM
Hi all, I have a worn camshaft bearing and by the looks of it cam aswell. So I thought this would be a good time to consider an upgrade but am unsure what make to go for and what difference you get from certain makes. Also can you upgrade bearings? Would a new bearing come with a cam? I've heard of Kent and shrick anyone know of these or others, what have you lot got?

Hope someone can shed some light, cheers!

garyc
11-10-10, 11:29 AM
There aren't any bearings, the cam just runs in the aluminium cam carrier. You will need a new (used) on if yours is dead.

paul james
11-10-10, 11:57 AM
You'll want to get a cam that matches your engine's state of tune. So if your engine is otherwise standard and staying that way, you'll want a mild cam. For intance a Kent AST1.

I run a Kent AST2 in mine, as it has twin 40's to take advatange of, and it goes very well.

1chiz
11-10-10, 04:33 PM
Cheers lads,

It is standard at the moment but i was considering changing the 2e carb for a single weber 32/34 and adding a k&n so any suggestions for this set up?

Also will a new cam come with cam carriers or is this a seperate purchase and do you have to get specific carriers to match the cam?

Cheers again

garyc
12-10-10, 08:25 AM
you will have to buy a new cam carrier or source a new one, are you sure yours is dead, have you taken the cam out?

for a weber just make sure you buy a kit for a nova or buy a decent 2nd hand one.

LEWI007
12-10-10, 09:11 AM
I think cam carriers off all the 8v engines would work so you could get one off a cav or astra or corsa etc..

garyc
12-10-10, 09:21 AM
he will need a carb one as the fuel pump is driven from the cam, unless he goes to a electric fuel pump. Fuel injection ones have the hole filled where the fuel pump drive would go.

1chiz
12-10-10, 04:16 PM
Cheers again lads, i knew it wouldn't be as simple as i'd anticipated.

Not taken the cam out but i changed the cam gasket the other day and there were marks an all the cam profiles and the engine whines when in tickover and i was told it was probably the cam bearing but by what i've heard here its the carriers. I was guessing the cam marks are because the carriers have worn and are not keeping the cam true, thoughts?

Stuart
12-10-10, 04:40 PM
marks on the cam lobes dosent not 'mean' worn bearings....

could be a lack of oil uptop so the cam lobes make a racket and wear too.

garyc
12-10-10, 07:28 PM
I bet the cam carrier will be OK, as long as it hasn't picked up on a bearing surface (unlikely as it would have been through the oil pump and filter). I've seen some horrible looking ones with replacement cams that have been OK.

C612DNM
13-10-10, 07:14 AM
As far as cam upgrade is concerned - Kent AST2 is as far as you want to go with a single carb. They have brought out newer profiles since that one came out, but it's such a good profile for a carb engine, it's the way I'd go. Don't go for the AST3, they're alright for stock-rod racing where you're poor little motor is screaming around in 2nd gear, but pants otherwise.

Best to get the head flowed before you change the cam as there's more power released that way.

I've not seen a cam carrier trashed through normal wear & tear. I've seen them where an engine's been cooked due to cooling failure, or oil pump failure/blocked galleries, and only then do they suffer. Give the old one a good clean up, it'll probably be fine. It's usually the lobes on the cam that wear off.