PDA

View Full Version : blended in side skirts?

deacon_2107
24-05-03, 12:51 AM
disadvantages and advantages pls

Paul
24-05-03, 10:22 AM
Basically:

advantages are when done well it will look the bollocks. Thats probably about it for advantages.

Few disadvantages, take a very long time to bland it and look wank if not done properly. Very expensive for bodyshop to do it, and i wudn't try it urself unless ur really confident.

Also when they're blended in, u cant take of any panels, ie quarters or wings.

Hope this helps.

Paul

deacon_2107
27-05-03, 02:21 AM
i wonder, if the side skirts could be sectioned easy so at least i could still remove the wings.... will look into that wen the side skirts arrive. (hopefully this week)

Guv
27-05-03, 10:40 AM
I done all the body work on my car one of the things i done was blend in the side skirts can be easy but stress full but when its done it does look very smart took me 3 days to get them looking right

the other bloke is right tho once bended in there no taking your panels off wings ect and best why to do blended side skirts is to bond your skirts on to give them that lil bit of flexablity so the filler and fiber glass dont crack if thay have no flex thay will crack

mmollart
27-05-03, 03:10 PM
best thing to do is make sure the car doesnt need any welding or new panels in which the wings are going have tobe removed for ie. slam panel inner wings wheel arches front panel, if all thats ok then go for it. Might want to use new wings aswell, will save you patching up rust in the months to come

Dave
27-05-03, 03:15 PM
I'm in the process of havng a new front end so gonna blend them in if the time permits worth doin if you know everything is sound underneath as it look sweet when done properly

ade
27-05-03, 10:35 PM
there are various pros and cons all listed above.

Main one is the gsi skirts are abs plastic so flexible so can crack if not reinforced or blended properly. Dont rush it. Make sure body work is all solid or cut the skirt into sections so you can remove wing without having to split the blend (just cut in half, make a slight indentation and on the main section (not the wing section) just mould some plastic to slot behind the wing one)

Ade

mikeoxford
28-05-03, 12:16 AM
pannels flex.......filler cracks......save your money

ade
28-05-03, 12:30 PM
or make copies of the skirts using fibreglass, then pot rivet the rigid copies to the body and blend these.

A lot more work but you can then customise youre skirts!

:D