PDA

View Full Version : help me swap my 1.2 spi to a e16se please

tommy8252
09-10-10, 01:28 PM
right I am doing this now and so far have the 1.2spi engine out ecu out and loom out but have a few wires left over heres what I have.

1 brown
1 black these came from ecu to back of car

2 red conected to a thick red in engine bay

1 black/brown coming from a relay in the engine bay

3 black
1 blue
1 blue/white
1 blue/green
1 red/black all these I have chopped out of the loom in the engine bay and they all run back down in to the car (guessin these are the ones for fuel pump etc etc)

also on the e16se loom I have a few wires I dont know where they go

a big block connector with

1 red
1 black
1 red/black
1 brown/white
1 green

and a bit frther dow the loom all together are

1 red/brown
1 blue/brown
1 blue

need to know where all these wires go please anyone willing to help me out once the wirings done I can drop the engine in a give it a go

mowgli
09-10-10, 01:32 PM
you need a haynes book, a note pad and a pot of tea.

tommy8252
09-10-10, 01:45 PM
brew, note pad, pen sorted gettin the book sorted now lol

tommy8252
09-10-10, 05:41 PM
cant belive noone wants to help(tell me what to do). one thing I have found out though is that the throttle cable on a 1.2spi is shorter than that of the 1.6. shall have to continue this tomorrow. feel free to help out if you can.

Plug
09-10-10, 05:53 PM
if i was you i would take out the Full 1.2 spi injection loom out, Well the complete engine loom and start a fresh

tommy8252
09-10-10, 06:08 PM
all the spi loom is out all that goes from the engine bay to the ecu anyway

mowgli
09-10-10, 08:37 PM
cant belive noone wants to help(tell me what to do). one thing I have found out though is that the throttle cable on a 1.2spi is shorter than that of the 1.6. shall have to continue this tomorrow. feel free to help out if you can.

tommy. you have a car minus its original engine. the sensor wires & the starter/alternator wires are the same no matter what engine you are fitting.. that is half the battle won.

then you need a large battery feed(red), an ignition live off the switch(black), the warning light wire( brown/white or yellow, i can't remember), the rev counter wire (green), and the fuel pump wire (red/blue). the e16se is self contained in every other respect. basically with the spi loom, you run feeds to suit the e16se.

so 5 wires & tbh, 2 aren't going to stop it from running.

just spend a while looking in the haynes book at the gte wiring from 1988, & the spi wiring from 1992, the gm cars use standard colours.

edit.... i just re-read it... you appear to have butchered the loom......you had better reconnect most of the wires you chopped.

tommy8252
09-10-10, 09:59 PM
the only wires i have cut are ones that go to the 1.2 ecu (unneeded due to not using that ecu using 1.6 ecu) rev counter is hard wired to digi dash, need to connect power source to 1.6 loom earth to 1.6 loom. Then im gettin confused as to what else needs to be wired in and where from but i do need to compare wiring diagrams for both engines which will be done tomorrow. Hopefully i will be able to see i am just being dumb and getting lost in all the wiring.

mowgli
09-10-10, 10:08 PM
it can't be that difficult... in 1992 , i stuck an e16se into a mk1 astra & in those days, the haynes book didn't even list gte stuff.

tommy8252
10-10-10, 10:23 AM
it appears that on the spi everything goes through the ecu as I have just found that the earth for the alternator has come out the temperature switch oil pressure switch and loads of other stuff any suggestions????(other than put the 1.2 back in and reconect everything I have removed). Am I even right in thinking that I dont need the 1.2 ecu???? I have looked through the haynes book and I also have one that at the time of print has no info on GTE or GSI models.

mowgli
10-10-10, 12:20 PM
if it has spi, it will be in there.. the gte/gsi stuff is in the back, chapter 13??

tommy8252
10-10-10, 12:39 PM
no doesnt have spi either just carb

mowgli
10-10-10, 01:35 PM
buy a later book.... look in chapter 13, it is in there.

craig green
10-10-10, 01:38 PM
also on the e16se loom I have a few wires I dont know where they go

a big block connector with

1 red
1 black
1 red/black
1 brown/white
1 green

Wire these in & it'll run.

Use the search function or read the tech articles for the colours & what they do.

mk1nova_rich
10-10-10, 01:41 PM
get on ebay and pick up a couple of Haynes Manuals (to make sure you cover both models) for 99p each, and as Mowgli said a notepad and pen will make life a lot easier. As will some coloured insulation tape so you can label all the wires up if need be :thumb:

i have removed my whole car loom using the above method to strip and modify to suit my needs, it is much easier than you would think

tommy8252
10-10-10, 02:48 PM
right been looking at it for ages now and managed to connect the right wires up to get it running. It was just a case of me not following the wiring diagrams and getting lost in wiring but as Im doing it at work I jumped on auto data for the diagrams. Cheers for all input I know I was being a dikc and crying like a girl but done now just soldering all connections together then will match the exhausts up and source a long enough throttle cable after that its done.

mowgli
11-10-10, 09:25 PM
what efi pump are you using?

tommy8252
12-10-10, 07:31 PM
got one off a 1.6 16v mk3 astra today along with its throttle cable. Soldered all connections up individually wrapped them in electricians tape the wrapped the loom back up with it to they it up and replaced the rubber groomit. I have to say i have butchered it and it aint pretty but it works and now i know how to do it if i ever have to do it again