PDA

View Full Version : Turbo oil feed!!

Plug
06-10-10, 12:08 AM
Right recon'd turbo has arrived and been fitted :)

Couple quick questons thou as i was told to crank the engine over to get oil to the turbo before i ran it to stop damage but it doesnt seem to be pumping oil to it :(

Is the turbo feed on the back of the block by the oil filter?

Also i was told to fill the turbo with oil from the oil inlet but the hole is the size of a pin prick lol and the inlet has the holes for the pipe ring thing so it wont fill :(

Any other way i can fill it??

Joe

Mike
06-10-10, 12:13 AM
Paul is your man for this lol think hes still online actually?

Plug
06-10-10, 12:17 AM
hoping he see's it lol although i dont think hes seen a KKK in a while haha

Edd
06-10-10, 12:25 AM
Fit it all together, take off the oil return pipe, disconnect the ecu or something to stop it firing, crank it over till oil comes out of the return pipe, turbo primmed of oil, reconnect return pipe, job done

Plug
06-10-10, 12:32 AM
i had it cranking for 5 mins and no oil came through :( i disconnected fuel pump relay and coil

Edd
06-10-10, 12:36 AM
Tbh mate if I was fitting a new turbo I would be also fitting a new oil feed and possibly a return as well for obvious reasons

Not sure where the feed comes from on a LET, back of the oil pump I presume, take the feed off there and see if you get oil pumping out through there

Plug
06-10-10, 12:37 AM
come in at about 12 lol giving it a rest tonight will be back on it after work tomorrow thou

Plug
06-10-10, 07:21 AM
TTT for today

General Baxter
06-10-10, 07:36 AM
should of got a reliable n/a xe lol

Benn
06-10-10, 08:05 AM
The feed on the top of the turbo should have a large ish bore, unless its been restricted.. See if you can pull that out so you can fill it that way.

Plug
06-10-10, 05:15 PM
could i not fill it through the breather hose by the afm??

Plug
06-10-10, 05:26 PM
right been outside turning it over with no joy of seeing any oil.

Ive disconnected the oil feed which bolts to the back of the block and cranked it and there is no oil coming out of there :( does this mean the oil pump is knackered???

Joe

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:28 PM
first things first.

when cranking, did the oil light actually go out?
if yes, then undo the turbo feed pipe & re crank the engine.. it might be useful to rig up a switch & run power from the battery to the starter solenoid, so you can see whats going on under the bonnet.

then if there is no oil coming out of the feed pipe, you will know where your problem is. the oil pump & its relief valve

if there is oil coming out, then there is a problem at the turbo, or the relief is blowing off too soon

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 05:30 PM
then if there is no oil coming out of the feed pipe, you will know where your problem is. the oil pump & its relief valve

Or the pick up pipe in the sump might be blocked?

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:31 PM
the oil light & the sort of seizing noises would show up a blocked sump pickup..

i assume you've had the sump off & had a good look at everything

if the mains are shot, the oil will be weeing out there

Plug
06-10-10, 05:34 PM
havent had the sump off as i dont have a gasket :( its not leaking oil anywhere.

Where is the relif valve? and ive had the feed pipe off the back of the block and cranked and there is nothing coming out

the oil light stays on but im only cranking and not letting it fire

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:36 PM
sounds like something is blocked up badly if you arent getting oil out.

post up some pics for the LET people to have a look at,

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 05:37 PM
IIRC relief valve is at the back of the block near the oil pump. 24mm nut??

Plug
06-10-10, 05:38 PM
i havent got a camera :(

i can see a big nut one on the front one on the back there both done up tight

its still got the oil cooler if that makes any differance

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:38 PM
the light is going out though, doesn't that suggest that some pressure is there?

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 05:39 PM

Valve might need removing and cleaning.

the light is going out though, doesn't that suggest that some pressure is there?

one would assume so, yes.

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:39 PM

tightness isn't the issue, its the spring & ball inside that is.. the ball sticks in the open position, and the excess oil pisses back into the sump

Plug
06-10-10, 05:40 PM
the light doesnt go out i checked it stays lit along with the handbrake light and battery light

Pistol Pete
No pressure then.

Plug
right i will take the relif thing out and have a look. Front or back one?

what does it mean if theres no pressure?

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:41 PM
the light doesnt go out i checked it stays lit along with the handbrake light and battery light

my bad. i agree with pete. relief valve

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 05:41 PM
right i will take the relif thing out and have a look. Front or back one?

what does it mean if theres no pressure?
:( not 100% sure.

Have a look in here...http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155764

EDIT: looking at some pics of my XE strip down, i'd say the rear one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/Pete_58/Astra%20Donor%20Car/C20XE%20Strip%20Down/0015-1.jpg

mowgli
06-10-10, 05:45 PM
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/Introduction.htm

Plug
06-10-10, 05:57 PM
right ive took the one pete circled in his picture and i couldnt find anything in there.

I took the front one off, spring out and the piston bit it wasnt stuck.

any more ideas???

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 05:59 PM
So your not getting oil fed to the turbo. Blocked pipe maybe?

Plug
06-10-10, 06:03 PM
the pipes not blocked ive blew through it and pushed oil through it.

Ive now disconnected the pipe from the back of the block and cranked it and no oil is coming out of where it bolts on :(

Mike
06-10-10, 06:05 PM
Is there even any oil in the motor lol

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 06:06 PM
Not taking the mick, but oil level been checked etc?? I take it you have no idea if it was pumping out oil before?

General Baxter
06-10-10, 06:07 PM
Not taking the mick, but oil level been checked etc?? I take it you have no idea if it was pumping out oil before?

that made me chukkle

Plug
06-10-10, 06:14 PM
plenty of oil in the motor according to the dip stick.

i havent a clue if it was pumping before either :(

mowgli
06-10-10, 06:17 PM
i know you don't want to, but iirc, the car was a non runner, for gods sake take the sump off & have a look & a good clean up

Plug
06-10-10, 06:30 PM
the car was a runner when i bought it. i only refurbed the turbo as it had play in the wastegate.

ive drained the oil and am going to check the sump but are you lot reckoning its the pump??

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 06:36 PM
Could be the pump. But check the items that are free/cheap to fix first. Pick up pipe (swap to an 8v baffle and gasket while your at it?) and then re confirm that the pump is pumping. If not then get a pump.

Is oil getting to the top? The cams etc covered in oil?

novaxe235
06-10-10, 07:11 PM
The relief valve is on the front of the pump in front of the crank pulley NOT the one Pete circled.

novaxe235
06-10-10, 07:17 PM

Pistol Pete
06-10-10, 07:18 PM
The relief valve is on the front of the pump in front of the crank pulley NOT the one Pete circled.

Worked that out on page 1 :) My mistake.

Also he said the relief valve wasnt sticking.

novaxe235
06-10-10, 07:22 PM
Doh! just read that:tard:

edited my post, seems strange.

Plug
06-10-10, 08:36 PM
Right put on hold :( oil feed snapped off on the turbo so off it goes again :(

Going to get the sump off tomorrow and get an 8v baffle kit along with gasket, Take pick up off and give it a good clean.

R1CH
06-10-10, 08:47 PM
If it ran fine and had oil pressure before the turbo was removed then theres not really any reason why it won't have oil pressure now.
I've try'd cranking it on the starter before to get oil thru the feed but had no joy, if you know it was ok then just just stick abit of oil into the feed on the turbo then fire it up.

Plug
06-10-10, 08:51 PM
/\ thing is i think it was ok cant 100% remember tbh :(

I think i know 100% that the oil light went off.

Going to get the sump off for a look thou tomorrow got a couple days to wait for the turbo again now so be rude not to

R1CH
06-10-10, 08:54 PM
Surely you can remember if the engine ran or not ?

16v Nova Kev
06-10-10, 08:54 PM
remember and fit a new rubber O ring on the pick up. and a z20let oil pump is a better replacement to the c20xe one.

craig green
06-10-10, 08:55 PM
Going to get the sump off for a look thou tomorrow got a couple days to wait for the turbo again now so be rude not to

Do you know what you are looking for? Oh & for gods sake dont get any contamination or whatever inside the engine.

Lee H
06-10-10, 08:55 PM
Are you cranking it with the spark plugs out? I found it wouldn't crank fast enough to build enough pressure with the plugs in.

Plug
06-10-10, 08:59 PM
i was cranking it with the Fuel pump relay off and the king lead.

Well its all stripped down again now :(

Craig i havent got a clue what im looking for or what anything means. I can dismantle but rebuilding i think not lol. Going to have to try arnt i :(

Yea rich the engine ran but i dont know if the oil pump was working or not. Dont forget ive only done about 50 miles in the 2 weeks ive owned it which was in 1 day. The rest of the time its been up on axle stands

General Baxter
06-10-10, 09:03 PM
welcome to LET ownership,

more time spent in bits then driven lol

R1CH
06-10-10, 09:05 PM
If you managed 50 miles in it then i'd be pretty confident in sayinmg that the oil pump is working !!!
Get the feed sorted (or whatever bit you've now broke) and fire it up, it'll be fine !!

Plug
06-10-10, 09:09 PM
may just get a pump while im at it :(

R1CH
06-10-10, 09:12 PM
No offence, but if your not 100% sure what your doing you could make it worse !!

Plug
06-10-10, 09:18 PM
/\ i know but im not paying a garage to do it and i have abit of mechanical knowledge. can replace parts but coming to put the cam belt on i will probs be stuck :(

craig green
06-10-10, 09:30 PM
/\ i know but im not paying a garage to do it and i have abit of mechanical knowledge. can replace parts but coming to put the cam belt on i will probs be stuck :(

Ask on here, do it in steps. Its easy when you are shown/coached. :thumb:

Plug
06-10-10, 09:30 PM
yea i know its only a case of making everything is in the right place.

Going to invest in a camera asap i think thou

R1CH
06-10-10, 09:32 PM
You've covered 50 mile in it and it ran fine, you've then removed the turbo, theres no reason why you should then have probs with oil pressure, you've checked that the oil feed isn't blocked so thats ok, and also checked the relief valve in the pump and thats ok.
No reason to remove the sump or change the oil pump.
Refit the turbo and fire it up, it'll be fine !!

Plug
06-10-10, 09:44 PM
i dont want to cook the seals in the turbo thou :(

In the note from universal turbos it says to crank the engine over until it has oil coming out the return hose but i wasnt getting any.

16v Nova Kev
06-10-10, 09:50 PM
dude if i was closer i would come give you a hand:(.i wouldn't even consider starting it if you think you have oil pump issues.dont risk your new turbo.

Plug
06-10-10, 09:55 PM
i dont want to start it thats why i havent :(

Need to get it all sorted as its doing my head sat on axle stands. GRRRR funking cars

R1CH
06-10-10, 09:59 PM
How are you gonna cook the turbo seals ??
To be honest, if you put some oil into the turbo thru the feed while its off the car then that'll be enough to lubricate the bearings while your cranking it over, the turbo's not gonna be under any load while cranking it over so its not gonna cause it any damage at all.
Get it fired up !!

Plug
06-10-10, 10:09 PM
cant now as my old man snapped the oil feed off the turbo :( so its back off and ready to be sent tomorrow