PDA

View Full Version : Believed carb problem

General Lee
04-10-10, 09:14 AM
Hi,

I have a 1.2 Nova diamond and on friday she died on me about 100m away from my home, started again but was really spluttery, and had to really rev it to get the rest of the way home. She has been absolutely fine untill this.

I then left it untill saturday morning, put an inline fuel filter sprayed the throat of the carb with cleaner, and then ran it again she was fine. I thought it may have been some crap from the tank got through. Drove it around abit saturday and there was another problem as i slowed down through the gears the car would stall and then when i put some throttle on it would come back to life.

I drove it sunday and the problem went. I drove it this morning and it came back but it was incredibly intermitent untill i got to the motorway and about 10 miles after i got off of the motorway it has been fine.

I think it's something to do with the carb because when i put the choke on when it splutters in low rpm the splutter goes away.

I am no mechanic i can do a headgasket changes and smallblock engine conversions but when it comes to weired fault finding im at a loss.

Any help would be brilliant!

Thanks

Nath:thumb:

Mike
04-10-10, 09:26 AM
Is it an autochoke or a manual choke carb do you know?

General Lee
04-10-10, 09:37 AM
manual!

Mike
04-10-10, 09:38 AM
Doh just re-read your post lol lol

stevenf
04-10-10, 09:40 AM
My carb has been doing the same. I found out that the jets were blocking so just took them out and blew them clean . What carb do you have on yours?

General Lee
04-10-10, 10:29 AM
How do you remove the jets? As it's a daily i need it to work.

Is it a 5 min Job?

It's the standard one that comes with MK1 1.2's not sure if there are many types. Most probably pierburg 2E

stevenf
04-10-10, 10:49 AM
mine only took a few mins but mine is a weber. Not to sure where they are on yours. I went to the petrol station and removed my jets then used the air like to blow the carb out

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
04-10-10, 11:26 AM
could be water in the float tank thing its like 10 min job but undoing **** if u dunno how to but do the jets first

mowgli
04-10-10, 12:44 PM
could it be that your choke cable has slipped??? as pulling it a bit fixes the problem

jeremy fisher
04-10-10, 02:47 PM
I think the 1.2 carbs had the single throat pierburg 1B1 fitted, info in the Haynes if you have one.