PDA

View Full Version : Named Driver Getting NCB

vaughanmc
03-10-10, 04:31 PM
Since my Nova is coming off the road in January (When my insurance is up) my Dad and I were wondering if I go onto my Mum's policy as a named driver can I still build up my NCB

I have 1 already and this Jan coming I'll be onto year 2...

Just need to know if theres any way my Mum can keep her NCB and I keep building my own even though I'm a named driver

Cheers for any help :thumb:

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 04:41 PM
Think it might vary between insurers mate. I was on mine for a year and didnt get any NCB

vaughanmc
03-10-10, 04:43 PM
I'll need to look into it like - Just thought I'd make use of this section of the forum

I need to do it that way so I've enough money through the year to get the Mk1 done then get it on the road with my own policy etc and hopefully have another years NCB...

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 04:45 PM
I'll need to look into it like - Just thought I'd make use of this section of the forum

I need to do it that way so I've enough money through the year to get the Mk1 done then get it on the road with my own policy etc and hopefully have another years NCB...

I used adrian flux for mine so i know they dont do it (or atleast didnt used to) worth looking at though, im hoping to do the same but need my NCB too :confused:

vaughanmc
03-10-10, 04:45 PM
I'll look into it :) Hopefully get more replies which might help both of us out

draper
03-10-10, 04:48 PM
as far as im aware the only companies that do offer 'named driver NCB' only allow that NCB be used with themselves so its useless really. could of chaned but thats how it worked out when i was looking into it 2years ago

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 04:50 PM
Im looking forward to saving 20% with sky, that'l do me for now :) think il have to build up my ncb with them

Jack
03-10-10, 05:14 PM
as far as im aware the only companies that do offer 'named driver NCB' only allow that NCB be used with themselves so its useless really. could of chaned but thats how it worked out when i was looking into it 2years ago
^ this. Only places like Admiral etc offer NCB for named drivers, but as said other companies rarely honour it. Most state that it has to be earned as the main driver on a policy.

Some offer a small discount for the experience though, but its still not a patch on proper NCB. If you're not going to be using your mum's car, the amount you'd pay out to be on the policy would far outweigh any possibly discount you'd get when you go back to getting your own insurance.

vaughanmc
03-10-10, 05:15 PM
I am going to be using my Mum's car mate...If that's any help but she wants to keep her NCB and I want to build on mine...

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 06:21 PM
If anything bad happens you'l both lose your NCB, i think, not 100% sure though.

Jack
03-10-10, 06:57 PM
If anything bad happens you'l both lose your NCB, i think, not 100% sure though.
Not if the parent has put protected NCB on the policy.

However, if you stack it, your mum will have to declare that in future on her policies. As the claim will be on the policy, not the person.

vaughanmc
03-10-10, 06:58 PM
Aye her NCB is protected mate...

I know what you mean, it'd be best if I was on it myself...

I'll need to look into it - January is looming lol

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 09:54 PM
However, if you stack it, your mum will have to declare that in future on her policies. As the claim will be on the policy, not the person.

Do you know if that will raise parents insurance in the future even with protected NCB, or will they still be covered ?

Jack
03-10-10, 09:58 PM
It will probably go down as a no-fault claim. As to whether or not that effects the premium, thats up to the insurer

gc_vaux
03-10-10, 10:10 PM
It will probably go down as a no-fault claim. As to whether or not that effects the premium, thats up to the insurer

Might spend next weekend ringing a few insurers and finding out more about there policys.. really need to get a couple of years ncb up before i can afford to move out but insurance is sky high atm :(

Stuart
04-10-10, 08:24 AM
I'd look at insuring her car in your name, she has 2 years to hold onto her NCB, you build another years NCB while she just coasts.... simple.

Mattman
04-10-10, 09:22 AM
If you are going to be driving your mum's car more often than her it would be an idea to tell the insurance company and they should either rate you as the main driver and remove the ncd (as you are not entitled to her discount, you may be able to move your own ncd onto the policy) or they may reissue the policy into your name (hopefully using your ncd) and putting an indemnity to owner clause on so that any payment if there is a claim will go to your mum.

Also if you want to continue to gain ncd you will have to put the policy into your name as only the policy holder gains real ncd and as above named drivers will only get an intro discount for being a named driver for x amount of years which will not be equal to your own ncd already gained.

I can go into much more details if you need me to mate so pm me if you want and I will give you all the details you require (remember this will only be our guidlines and underwriting stance, this may change from company to company, but should be very similar if not the same)

Essentially you want to get away from them trying to say you are fronting the policy and the best way forward is to tell your insurance company exactly what you want to do and why you want to go this route and if they want to keep your business they will be more than accommodating to your needs and let you know what they feel would be the best way forward.

vaughanmc
05-10-10, 07:52 PM
Cheers Matt :) I think my Dad's going to sort it out for me - Will defo be done the legal way, haven't done that fronting carry on and don't really plan to

My Dads thinks the same as what Stuart said as well...

Might not even be a year it's just so I can get back and forth to my work and get the other Nova done then take out my own policy with it and hopefully have 2/3 years NCB :)