PDA

View Full Version : So lucky to be alive :O

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 12:23 AM
Just stacked my Nova :(

Going along the dual carriageway and a Polish Lorry Driver pulled out of a lay-by right infront of me. Swerved around him but the back end came out, spun a few times and ended up in the bushes on the left.

Missed a sign post by about half a foot and stopped 2 feet before a metal crash barrier.

The nova don't look too bad tbh, just needs a few parts, nothing major. Will post pics tomorrow when it's day time. Just ****ing shook up right now.

1.6 gsi
02-10-10, 12:40 AM
all the best. hope you are ok.

AlexW
02-10-10, 12:50 AM
Sucks dude, did the lorry driver stop?

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 12:53 AM
Yeah he did, barely spoke a word of english though.

AlexW
02-10-10, 01:00 AM
Nice.

Going through insurance and getting the car written off, or keeping it to yourself?

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 01:10 AM
Keep it to myself i reckon. Gotta look round it properly but i drove it home fine, it just needs little bits so i don't really see the point. No-one was hurt either.

Nova_Tek
02-10-10, 01:21 AM
Glad you're ok fella, another foreign driver not paying attention :shakeshead:

Hopefully the Nova can be fixed up, but the main thing is you're well.

peester
02-10-10, 06:25 AM
crickey another day another polski driveski

glad your alright mate

Edd
02-10-10, 07:18 AM
Glad you and the nova is ok

I fooking hate all these eastern european drivers, don't know how to use the roads, don't speak english, sh!t loads of accidents involving them, ban them all IMO

mk1nova_rich
02-10-10, 07:51 AM
I agree with Edd, they need banning from our roads as the standard of their driving and the condition of some of their lorries is appalling. Another bonus of being in the EU :wtf:

Edd
02-10-10, 08:18 AM
Fcuk the EU IMO a load of crap

All the cars you see that have euro number plates, loads of them don't have mot, tax or insurance, my dad got told by a family friend in the police force that coppers get told not to pull them over unless they have due to the amount of paperwork required to try and prosecute them for the offences, seriously WTF

TeddyThom
02-10-10, 10:20 AM
Goes to show what little respect foriegn people have for our roads, ok it don't fit all but mainly the lorry drivers, ours aren't the best but at least they generally know how to use our roads.

Glad to you are ok :thumb:

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 10:38 AM
Well, i've looked round the car this morning and it's a bit worse than i thought but still repairable. Exhaust has completely twisted and ripped off, alloys are all scratched and chipped but still straight, and i just need a pair of mirrors. If anyone's got any let me know? Thanks
Also, looking round the body theres hundreds of scratches :( They don't look too deep so I should be able to get them out, but on the boot theres a dent on the boot lid on the word Nova on the vinyl and the vinyls all scratched up :cry:

bmw156
02-10-10, 10:38 AM
damn Nathan, hope your ok.

get some pics up. where was it. along the A14?

bmw156
02-10-10, 10:39 AM
p.s i think i have one mirror. but its shiny black.

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 10:44 AM
Hey Martin. Yeah i'm all good. Yeah it was, just got on it at Stowmarket on my way to ipswich. I'll go take some pics now. I'll give you a text later mate about the mirror, think i might be able to get a pair, if not i'll probs have it off you

Plug
02-10-10, 10:47 AM
glad your ok mate

bazil
02-10-10, 10:52 AM
Glad your ok mate,

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 11:02 AM
Well here's the pictures.

Taken the paint off the rear bumper and cut up the stripe:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0420.jpg

Scratches:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0423.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0422.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0421.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0426.jpg

Dent and Scratches :(:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0419.jpg

Snapped the gutter trim:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0425.jpg

And what it did to the backbox:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0428.jpg

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr267/srnova89/100_0427.jpg

NathanSRi
02-10-10, 11:04 AM
The pics don't show it very well but the car is covered in scratches :cry:

peester
02-10-10, 01:00 PM
well i take it mr polski will have to save up his roopies to pay for a respray

NovaBoi92
02-10-10, 01:09 PM
polish lorry drivers make me laugh. The other day, one of them approached a red light, slowed right down, then drive through the red light at about 1mph across a busy junction. And another time, i slowed down for a speed camera. saw a lorry come speeding up behind me, obviously not seen me slow down, he's swerved into the right hand lane then cut straight back in, not taking into consideration the length of his cab and i was so lucky that there was a small lay by there otherwise i'd have been crushed against the wall :( thats when i saw the polish plates lol shoot em all! Your situation could have been alot worse, just be thankful that you're ok and the nova's not too badly damaged :)

Edd
02-10-10, 01:24 PM
^^^^ fooking well said, shoot them all lol lol lol

Euro drivers are really really starting to piss me off.
More and more storries of their shocking driving skills :mad:

Plug
02-10-10, 01:25 PM
they prob think the same over there thou when we go over and blast it down the autobahns haha

pie
02-10-10, 01:46 PM
gutting to hear bout your crash fella

hope your nova aint to bad

agree ^^^^ shoot them all lol

Hobbit
02-10-10, 03:45 PM
Goes to show what little respect foriegn people have for our roads, ok it don't fit all but mainly the lorry drivers, ours aren't the best but at least they generally know how to use our roads.

Glad to you are ok :thumb:

neg rep...

Nova doesnt look too bad, think you got a lucky escape really :)

Joe Richardson
02-10-10, 06:34 PM
unluck pal:(

****ing cunts !!!

Nova_Tek
02-10-10, 07:17 PM
Nova looks not that bad tbh, was expecting a lot worse. Glad all is ok.

Mike
02-10-10, 07:25 PM
I hope you reported him.

When I leave for work at about 4.30/5am on a Monday going up M6/M56/A55 the amount of dangerous driving I see by HGV drivers on foreign plates is crazy!

Plug
02-10-10, 07:27 PM
neg rep...

Nova doesnt look too bad, think you got a lucky escape really :)

I heard the milk tanker drivers are the worst haha lol

Only joking my dear friend :p

Hobbit
02-10-10, 08:06 PM
Some of the inbreds I work with cant even spell thier name, fook knows who gave tham a licence lol

Plug
02-10-10, 08:20 PM
alot of people reckon i got my licence at lego land which isnt a lie either

burgo
03-10-10, 02:33 AM
you know anyone with a polishing mop? the scratches dont look to bad

Stuart
03-10-10, 07:53 AM
The bonus of a white car.... everything is well hidden :)

Southie
03-10-10, 08:07 AM
you know anyone with a polishing mop? the scratches dont look to bad
I'm sure he won't want anything near with that word in it lol

Glad your okay and looks like you've come out lightly with the damage.

Graeme
03-10-10, 08:17 AM
Gutted about the damage to your car mate but it could of been worse, main thing is that you are ok, should be easy to repair and back to its former glory in no time at all.

Looks like the beers were flowing with a couple of members last night http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/SouthernCoastie/smileys/Smiley-Facepalm.gif

bmw156
03-10-10, 08:57 AM
doesnt look to bad dude as said already. get some t cut and get working on them,

shame about the roof gutters as they are impossible to get hold of lol.

ste porter
03-10-10, 12:42 PM
one of our local haulage firms fresh link some of you may of seen them about there a big name now. about 5 years ago my dad used to sub contract for them I.E we used to supply them drivers for there work like an agency. They payed realy well , the job got done and they ended up with a good bunch of drivers.
Slowly but surely they started imploying more and more polls ect direct and eventualy cut the rates which caused all the subies including my dad to have to pull out.
This in turn ment they had to take on yet more drivers all forign of corse.
At this point there was at least 2 trucks a month beeing ritten off trucks that were previously well looked after now you wouldnt let your dog in them ect.
The damage got so bad last year there total claims made against them in insurance claims was in excess 4.5 million!

This lead to the insurance companies ect hiking prices up through the roof and putting conditions on there cover

As of the first of january 2011 they are no longer going to be alowed to employ anyone of a non english nationality and they need to have held a full british driving licence for a class one for over 5 years or they wont cover them

the only forigners alowed to drive for them after that date and the ones currently employed but they need to have an english licence and not drive on the kellogs ones.

Why though i ask you has it taken 5 years and millions of pounds of damage a year for them to finaly realise there not safe and even then its the insurance companies that have said no and finaly put there foot down

They turft the english out there jobs screw them up make a mess of it then when its all dryed up and caused chaos they dissapear!

dougie_boi
04-10-10, 11:32 AM
was a forieghn drived that was on the wrong side of the road which killed andy mclean (nacho mcnova) so you can imagine what i think of them

Pistol Pete
04-10-10, 11:37 AM
was a forieghn drived that was on the wrong side of the road which killed andy mclean (nacho mcnova) so you can imagine what i think of them

Lorry driver wasnt on the wrong side of the road.

My take on it all...its a few scratches. Get them polished out. And a lorry doesnt just pull out on you IMO. Regardless of their nationality.

Stuart
04-10-10, 12:35 PM

My take on it all...its a few scratches. Get them polished out. And a lorry doesnt just pull out on you IMO. Regardless of their nationality.

I dunno, had a fair few hairy moments on the A127 with Lorrys of various nationalites (in UK) pulling out of laybys after their little nights kip etc :(

mowgli
04-10-10, 12:41 PM
ok... was the pole indicating??? what speed were you doing, considering the A14 is a dual carriageway & if he pulled out of a layby, he'd only be using 1 lane.
was it daylight??

as far as i can tell, you didn't actually hit the truck, am i right???

i only ask all these questions cos i was involved in a court case some years back where a lorry driver was blamed for colliding with a tigra, when he did nothing of the sort, and hadn't even left his lane. but the tigra driver swerved at the last second, got it sideways, then overcorrected & basically playstationed it into the scenery..... 4 years, thats right, 4 years later, i was called into couort as a witness....and at the last second the insurance companies saw sense & settled it, so i couldn't give my statement....

i'm not calling you or your driving names, but i'm saying it was not 100% his fault.. drivers, and hobbit & ste will back this up spend their lives on their mirrors & watching what is going on 1/2mile behind & ahead.....

and don't give me the guff about blind spots.. all eu trucks have had to have tons of mirrors since 2001, and they look like a mods scooter.

oh, and a lorry does not have the handling characteristics of a go kart, and other road users should actually give them the room they deserve.

bazil
04-10-10, 12:52 PM
Mowgli, you made a point about mirrors, I drive LHD everyday and this is my veiw, plenty of vision as you say, in addition I also have 2 CCTV cameras on the o/s, one for the brush gear and my reversing camera, on a LHD truck the biggest blindspot is at the front o/s corner but it's only a small area.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/51267e36.jpg

this picture was taken whilst my vehicle is stationary and the handbrake applied

Pistol Pete
04-10-10, 01:02 PM
Kind of my thinking Mowgli. Good points.

mowgli
04-10-10, 01:52 PM
the wide angle mirror mot test calls for a field of vision at 45 degrees from the cab. so even if he is turnig sharp, he can see

nova_saloon
04-10-10, 01:57 PM
gutted about gutters! hope your all good buddy

NathanSRi
04-10-10, 08:16 PM
The Lorry didn't indicate.
I was doing just under 70mph, only been on the dual about 400 yards.
About half 10 at night, no other traffic so i was just in the slow lane.
I didn't hit the truck.

And trust me, they do just pull out.

NathanSRi
04-10-10, 08:18 PM
He never said they were :roll:

NathanSRi
04-10-10, 09:04 PM
Picture:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs311.snc4/40897_1571961213427_1067415783_1673222_1461400_n.j pg
The sign you can see in the background, we went behind that, then back down and stoped about 2 foot the end of that crash barrier

Pistol Pete
04-10-10, 09:24 PM
He never said they were :roll:

Re read his post. It was in reference to the accident that killed a member off here.

NathanSRi
04-10-10, 10:35 PM
Re read his post. It was in reference to the accident that killed a member off here.
:thumb:

ste porter
05-10-10, 12:18 AM
as a driver of a class one this may seem a little biase but to be fair about 70% of accidents involving trucks and cars are usualy down to error on the car drivers behalf.

even if a truck changes lanes and slams straight into the side of you chances are its not because the truck driver couldnt be bothered to check his mirrors ect its usualy because car drivers have this strange obsetion to sit along side your cab just infront of your diesel tank smack bang in the middle of the one blindspot your mirrors dont cover!

This in turn wheather intentional or un knowingly in my opinion makes this the car drivers fault and to be honest i kinda dont blame them even though there at fault as i belive this is alot to do with the level of education and driving standards that people have been tought.

At what point on your driving test does the examiner pull you in at a truck stop get out and point out the dangers and blind spots on a modern hgv?

also i do belive as a learner your not even alowed on a motor way which in my opinion is stupid as lets face it even if you dont live on them like some of us do at some point chances are everyone will drive on one atleast once.

i feel for you mate i realy do i would be livid if i had just dyked the cav as a result of someone pulling out infront of me in a truck forign or otherwise but to be fair he would have seen you cummin and in all honesty why when you see a truck ahead on an empty duel carragie way at night and he was obviously going to join the main carraige way was you still doing 70 mph+ on the inside lane and not moved over in advance or preped yourself ready to slow down? common sense realy and i do belive its all down to hazard perception is it not?

out of interest how long you been driving?

Hobbit
05-10-10, 12:46 AM
to be fair he would have seen you cummin and in all honesty why when you see a truck ahead on an empty duel carragie way at night and he was obviously going to join the main carraige way was you still doing 70 mph+ on the inside lane and not moved over in advance or preped yourself ready to slow down?

This was my first thought to be honest. A truck takes a while to get going so you must've seen it was about to join the carrage way. For all you know he could've had a bulb out?

Not making excuses for the other driver/putting the blame on you but there is always two sides to a story.

burgo
05-10-10, 12:54 AM
quite why anyone likes sitting next to a truck is beyond me, scares me and i get past asap. another thing which should deffinetly be taught is the dangers of going up the inside of trucks on a roundabout, the amount of times i see people almost getting squashed cos the dumb ****s dive up the inside

ste porter
05-10-10, 01:02 AM
quite why anyone likes sitting next to a truck is beyond me, scares me and i get past asap. another thing which should deffinetly be taught is the dangers of going up the inside of trucks on a roundabout, the amount of times i see people almost getting squashed cos the dumb ****s dive up the inside

honestly mate it scares me driving them you realy have got to go out for the day in a wagon it realy does open your eyes to just how dumb and dangerous the general public realy are

i think it would seriously change the way you aproch driving in general and would definatly change your view on how you percive trucks and drivers 9 times out of 10 when you f and blind at a truck because in your eyes hes done something wrong or cause hes blocked 2 lanes at a set of lights its usualy because they no if they dont and they leave the door open for someone to just nip up there or scoot round chances are someone will end up dead and thats why they do it

burgo
05-10-10, 01:06 AM
honestly mate it scares me driving them you realy have got to go out for the day in a wagon it realy does open your eyes to just how dumb and dangerous the general public realy are

i think it would seriously change the way you aproch driving in general and would definatly change your view on how you percive trucks and drivers 9 times out of 10 when you f and blind at a truck because in your eyes hes done something wrong or cause hes blocked 2 lanes at a set of lights its usualy because they no if they dont and they leave the door open for someone to just nip up there or scoot round chances are someone will end up dead and thats why they do ityou should ask tan how much i am constantly swearing and complaining about everyone, i see enough bad driving as it is that if i was let loose in a truck i would wipe some of the tards out on purpose just to get the imbread cunts off the road

mowgli
05-10-10, 08:19 AM
as part of the pass plus, they should be made to ride in a wagon for a day...it would stop a lot of stupid things.. not all of them, but a lot of them...
and yesw, sometimes a wagon has to pull out into the traffic, as nobody gives them any room, yet they all let sodding buses out and those dangerous gits use the mirror manoeuvre signal method of driving.

i had a full blown row in leicester last year whan a bus pulled out across a solid white line & tagged the back of my pickup.. so i went up the road & waited for him to stop, jumped on his foootplate & gave him & the twenty odd passengers a lecture in driving standards & the law. he was the most ignorant person i'd ever shouted at

Stuart
05-10-10, 10:29 AM
I dont let busses out :) I'll even stop to prevent them from getting out lol.

HGV's = get past asap (then cut infront really close lol, joking)