PDA

View Full Version : Restoring paint

Jack
01-10-10, 03:11 PM
Ok, in the long term my bonnet needs repainting, but as funds are lacking at the moment is there anything I can use to try and restore the colour a bit?

Its faded quite badly (looking very very grey in some places!) due to the heat of the engine coming through as I've been lazy about fitting any heat reflective tape. A cut, polish, and wax with megs stuff brings the colour back a little bit, but obviously I can't keep cutting the paint each weekend lol

Tried some turtle wax colour restoring polish, I may as well have just smeared dog turd all over the bonnet as it was worse than useless.

Any other ideas?

Sloth
01-10-10, 03:36 PM
g10 mate, or if your feeling brave, g3 andf a little water in a spray bottle./

GroupB
01-10-10, 03:44 PM
I would repeat Rob advice, I always use G3 on bad fading and then R2 renovating polish, both are silicone free so if you need to respray in the future you'll find it easier, sprayers hate silicone based waxs etc.......:)

Most motor/bodywork factors will stock it and advise you if needed.
Hope that helps............:thumb:

Remember to always use water with the G3 though and then wash off

Sloth
01-10-10, 03:58 PM
AYE, EBAY ALSO HAS G3 AAND G10 ASWELL. I BOUGHT A HUGE 2 LTR BOTTLE FOR 12 QUID IIRC. oops caps....

Andy
01-10-10, 04:10 PM
i take it your not on about t'nova? lol

Spudly
01-10-10, 04:31 PM
G3 is far too abrasive to be using as a gentle restorative measure, you on about the celica Jack as im fairly sure the nova bonnet is matt black is it not?

G10 will do but again is a little too abrasive so i would dilute it with a mixture of light polish or t-cut as it will dull down the cutting performance of the G10 yet up the performance of the t-cut which the joe public version is not particularly potent anyways lol

Jack
08-10-10, 09:57 PM
you on about the celica Jack as im fairly sure the nova bonnet is matt black is it not?
Satin :p Ja, heat from the turbo and CC has done it methinks.

I was a little concerned about using a cut, the megs stuff doesn't really restore the colour too well and anything less harsh I can't see making a difference... whilst anything more harsh will just slice more of the paint off?

Nickb
14-10-10, 10:35 PM
AG paint restorative
AG HD wax
Then a good polish ontop brought my car back to a lovely standard and ditched all the swirl marks too! The paint restorer is harsh stuff so don't use it reguarly mate