PDA

View Full Version : Wheel machining...

Breeny
22-05-03, 05:59 PM
Seen as i can only find wheels i like in the wrong offset... (most are 3 - 8mm out) I'm wondering if i can get a little metal machined off the inside of the hub.. has anyone does this??

Ive heard conflicting stories elsewhere... some say that there is loads of excess metal so its fine but other say that it will weaken the wheel a lot...

Heeeelp
:roll:

Stuart
22-05-03, 06:38 PM
machine the wheel, they are made and then machined, so whats another 3mm gonna do huh??!!

the wheels on the formula student race car are 18mm ally "plate" with holes to lighten them. thats just to indicate that a little ammount of metal is needed lol

stugsi
22-05-03, 06:51 PM
it depends on the offset, plus the length between the base and the rim

i used to work at rim stock (team dynamics) they cast them bigger so they can take a bit off it does weaken the wheel as they have a impact centre for that stuff they run the wheel on the machine at road speed then put pressure on the wheel till it snaps ( the spokes or base )

if you still wanted it done try a local engineer with a c.n.c machine they should be able to help ya

Breeny
22-05-03, 08:46 PM
Ive found a local engineering place and a alloy wheel refurb place that will do it... just didnt wanna ruin a perfectly good set of brand new rims lol

beghy
23-05-03, 12:51 AM
WHERE ABOUTS IS IT GEEZ? HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO CUT BACK 3mm?

jatinder
23-05-03, 07:54 AM
yeah how much are they charging per wheel coz i need that done on mine

wisewood
23-05-03, 09:49 AM
give the company details of the place you found Breeny and i will post this topic into the useful topics post at the top of the forum.

burgessovsalford
23-05-03, 10:08 AM
Breeny- I think Mike Oxford has also found a place that does that for ?10 a wheel- Bargain! Speak to him...

Breeny
23-05-03, 01:17 PM
The company is called BJV Engineering and its based in Hemel Hempstead. They will collect wheels from within 40 miles and return then free of charge.. Website addy is http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com

But I wouldn't use them just yet... I would actually use me as a guinea pig, ive had so much trouble with Companies including wheel refurbishing ones, i'm not gonna stay quiet if they do a crap job :wink:

Its all being done next week anyway... having a lot of work done aswell as the machining so we'll have to see :D

mikeoxford
23-05-03, 02:01 PM
Breeny- I think Mike Oxford has also found a place that does that for ?10 a wheel- Bargain! Speak to him...

yup

Novas.5u.com-Chris
25-05-03, 01:55 PM
Im new to the boards and dont know it this will be of any help to you, cos' you might have already had it done!?
My mate had his set of OZ wheels machined down, but they could only take about 2mm off because the calipers would start to catch on the spokes of the wheel!
Hes had no problems since having it done, so it should be ok

:)