PDA

View Full Version : my brakes dont work, help!!!!

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:15 PM
i have bled going from the furthest away from the master cylinder, changed the master cylinder and bled that but i still have a **** peddle, any ideas anyone ? cheers

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 07:20 PM
what brakes are they?

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:22 PM
what brakes are they? just standard 1.4 sr brakes with the square shaped pads?

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 07:25 PM
Oh
Was thinking maybe you had tried to upgrade to 256's & got the calipers on wrong way, having bleed nipple at bottom not the top.
Been done few times & that gives symptoms like you say.

You had them in bits prior to them becoming sh1t?

Rickardo
29-09-10, 07:25 PM
Have you removed the calipers recently?

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:29 PM
basically i have just bought it off a mate who has just put these back on as he had 2.0 cavalier brakes on it. so ye they have been off the car for a while but cleanded them up today to make sure there all freed up an they are fine so im lost now, only thing i havent tried is the servo ?

Rickardo
29-09-10, 07:30 PM
basically i have just bought it off a mate who has just put these back on as he had 2.0 cavalier brakes on it. so ye they have been off the car for a while but cleanded them up today to make sure there all freed up an they are fine so im lost now, only thing i havent tried is the servo ?

As Martin said, make sure the calipers aren't on the wrong way.. You won't be the first person to do it.

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 07:30 PM
Where is bleed nipple?
Top or bottom of caliper?

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:32 PM
As Martin said, make sure the calipers aren't on the wrong way.. You won't be the first person to do it. bleed nipples are at the bottom on these on the front, so they should be at the top then an this should cure my rubbish pedal?

Rickardo
29-09-10, 07:35 PM
bleed nipples are at the bottom on these on the front, so they should be at the top then an this should cure my rubbish pedal?

Correct, turn em round.

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 07:36 PM
Think so mate.
I only know on the 16v 256mm brakes the nipple must be at the top or they wont bleed.

Swap the sides over (drivers to passenger etc), try bleeding & let us know how ya get on :)

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:38 PM
Think so mate.
I only know on the 16v 256mm brakes the nipple must be at the top or they wont bleed.

Swap the sides over (drivers to passenger etc), try bleeding & let us know how ya get on :)alrite thanks for the help guys !! will post as soon as i find out what happens.

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 07:40 PM
If were right your 'mate' owes ya for stitching you up!!

SR NATH
29-09-10, 07:50 PM
If were right your 'mate' owes ya for stitching you up!! haha ye i think so too :)

16v Nova Kev
29-09-10, 08:03 PM
i did the same thing too mate.i felt like a right doughnut lol

SR NATH
29-09-10, 08:19 PM
i did the same thing too mate.i felt like a right doughnut loldid you have a really good pedal after turning them round and bleeding the whole car then ?

16v Nova Kev
29-09-10, 08:21 PM
aye it was all fine. well apart from the back locking up but thats due to it being light.

SR NATH
29-09-10, 08:25 PM
aye it was all fine. well apart from the back locking up but thats due to it being light. lol well i shouldnt get that problem as i still have all the interior and bits still in the car for now until i can afford a c20let then it will be all stripped out for track use.

MARTIN KELSON
29-09-10, 09:30 PM
did you have a really good pedal after turning them round and bleeding the whole car then ?

I wouldnt get too excited.
Standard Nova brakes arent known for there stopping capabilites!!

SR NATH
29-09-10, 09:37 PM
I wouldnt get too excited.
Standard Nova brakes arent known for there stopping capabilites!!nah not expecting them to be amazing but would be nice for them to actuall sort of work lol but i have bought some vectra v6 brakes to go on the front and plan to do a rear disc conversion at some point.

dougie_boi
29-09-10, 10:21 PM
only press the pedal 1/3 of the way down when bleeding them as you will turn the mastercylinder seals inside out and you will have a crap pedal and no brakes lol

SR NATH
01-10-10, 10:44 AM
all sorted lol i swapped the calipers over like everyone told me an i now have brakes. cheers everyone !

MARTIN KELSON
04-10-10, 07:34 PM
Been away for weeking so only just to a computer.

Glad you got it sorted mate.

Did you give your mate a slap for fooking them up?

SR NATH
05-10-10, 11:43 AM
ye gave him a slap on the wrist lol

Stuart
05-10-10, 11:56 AM
only press the pedal 1/3 of the way down when bleeding them as you will turn the mastercylinder seals inside out and you will have a crap pedal and no brakes lol

Pedal bleeding FTL, get an easibleed air pressure bleeding setup.

MARTIN KELSON
05-10-10, 09:01 PM
Pedal bleeding FTL, get an easibleed air pressure bleeding setup.

Best £15.00 i ever spent in Halfrauds! :)