PDA

View Full Version : PV 2003 quarter mile times?

CP
22-05-03, 01:53 PM
Just wondering. Would there be any interest in developing a sort of handicap system so that we could all have compete on an even(ish)with each other. I was thinking along the lines that std smaller engined cars would have no penalty times - whereas larger engined/more heavily modded cars would get an increasing time penalty according to how heavily modded they are.

It could get get a bit involved but if you compare times that say a std 1.4sr does with a 2.0l turbo conversion there will be maybe 3 or 4 secs difference hence the turbo would get a penalty factor of 3.5 secs. You could also factor in weight ie stripped out or not, tyres - slicks or std road tyres. This could be extended to other models and then maybe try to draw it all together and have an overall road going winner for the day?

Anyone?

Will
22-05-03, 01:54 PM
I like the sound of that, get cambridge to do the maths?

Cambridge where art thou??

lol

wisewood
22-05-03, 02:00 PM
Thats a fantastic idea Charles, but surely the mathematics of it all would be far too complicated for it, all of the different engine mods and body work mods, different bits added or removed from the interiors etc...

The possibilities are almost limitless really. But would be VERY impressive if you could sort it out.

Stuart
22-05-03, 02:04 PM
bear in mind im severly hung over but

get a 1/4 mile time for a standard non srtippedout GTE/GSI (i knwo its gonna be tricky)

assume its running factory power.

power / engine size eg 100/1.6 = 62.5 bhp/liter
take that to be the benchmark

erm higher values then carry an addition of time and the lower values carry a subtraction of time. quite what or how im not 100% sure of, as i said im hungover lol

as for stripped out, well a cage weighs about the same as the rear seats dosent it??? so in that case the weight is not a factor

with slicks just add a second onto the time.

ill read me books later and find the rough figures to make a spreadsheet for it.

wisewood
22-05-03, 02:12 PM
Not bad going for a hangover victim. Nice one!

simon@novaheaven
22-05-03, 03:17 PM
sounds complex. be funny if a standard 1.0 won overall!

nova---chris
22-05-03, 04:12 PM
see how many cars we have going.
and maybe split em into classes.

and all have a bit of friendly rivalry. :twisted:
then end of day. everyone vote for who deserves run of the day.
(not the quickest. but who they think had the best result.)

just a thought.

Jim
22-05-03, 08:44 PM
I think we should have a Novaload 1/4 mile day like we did a few years back when Total Vauxhall came along. Was a good day, we split the cars up into CC size and each winner of the class got a years subsrciption to TV :)

Plus, if we organise it later on in the year it'll mean I'll be able to go :D as I can't make PV03 :(

Although, saying that, your still going to have a penalty system depending on how tuned the cars are...hmm, ok, ignore me :P

Jim

Stuart
22-05-03, 09:50 PM
hangovers gone now

spent the day gettign no where on this lol

ive just realised that run power to weight and power per litre classes.

:)

Snowface
22-05-03, 10:38 PM
what about just adding more weight in the bigger engined cars? then the power to weight ration's would be about the same.
maybe carry a passenger or 2 in the car?

mikeoxford
23-05-03, 01:58 PM
I think we should have a Novaload 1/4 mile day like we did a few years back when Total Vauxhall came along. Was a good day, we split the cars up into CC size and each winner of the class got a years subsrciption to TV :)

id be up for it