PDA

View Full Version : C20XE Owners

Pete
25-09-10, 08:02 PM
Just out of curiosity how much has it cost people to fit an XE? all in, including welding if done by a company etc.

Want to do a slow nova project and have got the money for one but dont know how much it will cost me all in to fit one. as i dont want to buy the engine and not have enough to complete it.

Thanks.

Angus Closier
25-09-10, 08:06 PM
Well this is from my experiance
C20xe= £250
F16cr= £50
Fuel pump=£40
Fuel tank=£120 (alloy tank)
mounts, drive shafts and hubs= £250
Fuel lines=£30

What people dont take into account is the price of upgraded brakes/suspension/insurance etc
This was based on mine which started life as a 1.2 so not efi!
Everyone will be diff!!!

Edit: Im sure iv missed a million things. And that was done by me not a company!!

Double edit: Didnt even read what you put.....To get it converted would cost around £2000

Benn
25-09-10, 08:11 PM
Engine with f20 £300 max .
Shafts £100 hubs £80 Mounts £100
Tank and pump 50-70 max
Brakes £30
Welding £100 max (paint it your self)

That's a real basic price.

Pete
25-09-10, 08:14 PM
My nova at the moment is a 1200,
im not going to take insurence with the price as i want to take my time with the project to make sure i do everything the best i can.

So just a case of the engine in. suspension,brakes etc i will add after aswell.

Benn
25-09-10, 08:20 PM
Taking your time if the best way, you'll get the better bits and have the better car.

Pete
25-09-10, 08:27 PM
thats the thing, i want it to look pure s e x , and if it don't then ive not done it good enough.
got a few little add on ideas i want to do, but will have to speak to company's etc on how to do them and i dont have a clue lol

+ i get to learn along the way as compared to alot of members on here im quite a novice

Benn
25-09-10, 08:31 PM
Any welder can do the bay, prep it all your self.

Sloth
25-09-10, 09:22 PM
id speak to ste porter mate

Mike
25-09-10, 09:29 PM
Rob, Porter is a long, LONG drive from Pete unfortunatly.

Pete, seriously mate you could do it for £500, for a good job too. Just really does depend on how hard you look an where you look for parts!

Example (altho not XE related admittadtly) today Ive had a brand new roof vent for £20 (normally about £60), used Wilwood Bias £20 (£46 in wilwood site), new wilwood .625 hydraulic handbrake £46 (MC alone is nearly £69), pair of Sparco revs with alloy sidemounts for £160 (be over £500 for the lot new) & a Mistec plumbed in extinguisher for £50 (RRP £180+vat)

Look around lots, take your time an the **** you want will ALWAYS come up for sale somewhere in the world for right price.

simonm
25-09-10, 09:29 PM
cost me 400 for a c20xe engine complete with box and loom all that was needed cost me 100 for shafts of a mate and got all cv joints with the engine and box also big brakes most of every thing else i made up along the way and used a 1.2 spi tank 30quid and mpi pump 20quid after that its all about what ya can do your self

Benn
25-09-10, 09:30 PM
Done well with all that(Mike)

craig green
25-09-10, 09:31 PM
If you arent in a rush & do your research it can be cheap. remember those 2 principals you can'tgo wrong.

the best knowledge on the net is right here.

simonm
25-09-10, 09:31 PM
ya sure did i love a good bargain

Mike
25-09-10, 09:32 PM
Done well with all that(Mike)

Amazingly the only bit off of eBay was the roof vent, BIN for £20, bargain item to re-sell for £40 easily lol

But seriously Pete, look around proper mate an youll find anything for cheap.

Sloth
25-09-10, 09:32 PM
**** yer mike just realised that...

o.p buy a running donor, so you know its a good un. or ask col smith.

Benn
25-09-10, 09:35 PM
Amazingly the only bit off of eBay was the roof vent, BIN for £20, bargain item to re-sell for £40 easily lol

But seriously Pete, look around proper mate an youll find anything for cheap.

lol i sold my Wilwood adjust for 20quid with the special fittings to make it british cause the lines wouldn't seal. was 5mins old.

Mike
25-09-10, 09:36 PM
lol i sold my Wilwood adjust for 20quid with the special fittings to make it british cause the lines wouldn't seal. was 5mins old.

LOL they make £40++ on eBay daily lol

What fitting did you use Benn as im yet to buy some lol 3/16 ones are they?

Benn
25-09-10, 09:38 PM
I know, but had the dog with it. Wouldn't seal for anything. Rally design sell unions that are m10 to the us fitting size. They work out about 8quid posted..

Pete
25-09-10, 09:38 PM
I can take all the time i need as the nova is not on the road and im in no rush to put it there.
But yeah Mike i will look around for the cheapest prices, going to ring my grandad tomorrow about welding as thats what he use to do before he retired (worked at Rolls Royce, Welding) so i know he will do me a good job but he lives in Hampshire so its getting the car to him.

But i'll give it a bit more thinking and see what sort of funds ill have behind me and check i have enough spare for everyday life. and then take it from there :)

Mike
25-09-10, 09:40 PM
Pete just keep your lids open an bits will soon crop up like.

I know, but had the dog with it. Wouldn't seal for anything. Rally design sell unions that are m10 to the us fitting size. They work out about 8quid posted..

Ill give them a call Monday then an see what I can turn up then, nice one Benn :thumb:

Benn
25-09-10, 09:45 PM
They will know the ones, they did when i rang.

Mike
25-09-10, 09:49 PM
Sorted then :)

steviegsi
25-09-10, 10:19 PM
Buying a running donor is definitely the way to go. I bought a gte nova a few weeks ago that is running xe although a slightly rough body. Engine will be removed and everything else sold, so should be a relatively straight forward first engine conversion for me as the shafts etc are there. I'll admit I'm a complete novice myself, but it should be a good start in learning what's what when the lump goes into the Gsi. Won't be touching the welding side of things though. I think as long as your not in a rush to be finished all should be fine. Have to say I'm quite looking forward to doing some mincing about. And you can be guaranteed that any stupid questions will more than likely be answered in here! ( I hope, because I'm sure I'll have plenty)lol.

Best o luck anyway mate!:thumb:

mayhem
26-09-10, 03:43 PM
mine cost about 2000 euro.

c20xe engine 600
parts (belt/oil/clutch etc etc) 350
cams 250
conversion parts 150
remap 300 euro.
60mm stainless steel exhaust 200

John
26-09-10, 03:45 PM
Don't forget to budget for increased tax and insurance too pete.

Andy
26-09-10, 03:53 PM
mine cost-
£300 for engine and f20
Shafts were a proper bargain-£12 using nova outers (already had) and big block inners (free off a mate)
Pump was £20,used my original fuel tank,1200carb and lines-no propblem until cornering hard at below quarter of tank it gets fuel starved,butr hey you can live with that.
And the mounts are £40 brand new from valvers.com
Brakes were £3 a caliper from u-pullit discs and pads worked out about £50 iirc
2xreels of mig wire £13
1 gas bottle £27.
Plus paint,done.

Pete
26-09-10, 05:51 PM
Don't forget to budget for increased tax and insurance too pete.

At the moment im not going to include the tax and insurence as it wont be on the road anytime soon if i do an XE, obviously at my age insurence will be alot (IF i could get insured) so it will be a long project and then insurence will drop :)

blue_peg_16v
26-09-10, 07:59 PM
mine cost-
£300 for engine and f20
Shafts were a proper bargain-£12 using nova outers (already had) and big block inners (free off a mate)
Pump was £20,used my original fuel tank,1200carb and lines-no propblem until cornering hard at below quarter of tank it gets fuel starved,butr hey you can live with that.
And the mounts are £40 brand new from valvers.com
Brakes were £3 a caliper from u-pullit discs and pads worked out about £50 iirc
2xreels of mig wire £13
1 gas bottle £27.
Plus paint,done.

Then get bored and realise you should of fit a let in the first place lol

w_wall_2001
27-09-10, 11:30 AM
Then get bored and realise you should of fit a let in the first place lol

i know what you are saying but that will add mega ££££ to the build price lol