PDA

View Full Version : speedlines and rear bearing covers?

Damo
24-09-10, 12:00 PM
Wasnt sure where to put this but anyhow how have you guys got round fitting the speedline centre caps with the rear bearing cover caps on? ive been told just to whip them off?
Damo.

Stuart
24-09-10, 12:17 PM
I'd never run without covers on a greased bearing....

Damo
24-09-10, 12:20 PM
I'd never run without covers on a greased bearing....

Thats what i though tbh stu its a bit of a pikey way and it carnt do the bearing much good.

But is there anyway round it like using a different cover of something else perhaps?

Damo.

Jeff16v
24-09-10, 12:42 PM
5mm spacers and take the speedline sticker off the centrecap and drill it out a bit. Then glue sticker back on. Done

Damo
24-09-10, 12:45 PM
5mm spacers and take the speedline sticker off the centrecap and drill it out a bit. Then glue sticker back on. Done

Nice one mate so is it the middle of the center cap that stops it then could i not just drill it out anyway and do it that way instead of using spacers?

Jeff16v
24-09-10, 12:51 PM
If you can drill the hole out big enough you won't need the spacer but if the hole is to big you won't be able to put the sticker on straight enough. I've always drilled AND used spacers.

Damo
24-09-10, 12:53 PM
If you can drill the hole out big enough you won't need the spacer but if the hole is to big you won't be able to put the sticker on straight enough. I've always drilled AND used spacers.

Yea sound mate al have a looksy then just the idea of spacers puts me off do you still use the standard wheel nuts with the 5mm spacers or longer aftermarket ones then tony.

phazer
24-09-10, 02:29 PM
Take them off. The plate on the wheel stops virtually all water ingress and the grease doesn't come out - if it did it was over packed in the first place.

I've run mine for ohhh 12 years and only done one rear bearing in all that time.

As for spacers, they put more load on the bearings making them more likely to fail earlier anyway lol

Damo
25-09-10, 07:09 PM
Cheers phazer for the help mate.

+ rep to all that helped

Damo.

craig green
25-09-10, 07:18 PM
Sorry, but what's the issue here? Both my sets of Alessio's never fouled anything on the rear hubs.

bazil
25-09-10, 07:34 PM
Sorry, but what's the issue here? Both my sets of Alessio's never fouled anything on the rear hubs.

same here, never had issues on drum or disc?
My wheels are very early ones and havnt been drilled out either

Damo
25-09-10, 07:35 PM

Craig the allessios i have the center caps dont fit without taking the center bearing cap off and on the front they catch the coilover helper spring slightly so need a 2-3mm spacer for them.

craig green
25-09-10, 07:55 PM
Hmm odd.

Only issue I ever suffered was with 16v fr calipers, I had to fettle the spring retaining lug. I'm pretty sure both sets I had were later type castings of the wheels.

Can you not beat the bearing caps in fully? Or dremel-grind the back of the cap?

Damo
25-09-10, 08:00 PM
[quote=craig green]Hmm odd.

Only issue I ever suffered was with 16v fr calipers, I had to fettle the spring retaining lug. I'm pretty sure both sets I had were later type castings of the wheels.

Can you not beat the bearing caps in fully? Or dremel-grind the back of the cap?[/quote

Was think of this craig am gunna try it tomorrow.

craig green
25-09-10, 08:04 PM
Maybe cut n file a few mm off them so they dont get wedged in deep.

Benn
25-09-10, 08:12 PM
Dent the bearing caps in or just remove them and put a bit more grease in there.

Damo
25-09-10, 10:11 PM
Dent the bearing caps in or just remove them and put a bit more grease in there.

Yea thats what im gonna do tomorrow benn thanks for the help guys.

Rep for all.

Damo.