PDA

View Full Version : Fitting rear wheel bearings

Iain
23-09-10, 09:11 PM
So there's two outer races you need to fit to the drum. Got the outer one in fine with a socket, but the inner one is about 50mm diameter. I don't have a socket that big, so anyone got any clever ideas to save me spending £10 on a socket?

Royston
23-09-10, 09:13 PM
Just use a drift and hammer, just make sure it is fully home

Damo
23-09-10, 09:14 PM
Just use a drift and hammer, just make sure it is fully home

As above mate use a brass drift.

Iain
23-09-10, 09:14 PM
Started using a punch but it was marking the drum when I hit it with a hammer.

Edit: Ah I'll get myself a brass one then!

marc69
23-09-10, 09:15 PM
I just did it by hand and used loads of grease, that was a year ago and the wheel is still attached!

Royston
23-09-10, 09:17 PM
Suppose to hit the punch,not the drumlol

Just take your time and work the outer race in i.e. 12 oclock, 6 oclock, 3 oclock, 9 oclock if you catch my "drift"

Just make sure the punch/drift is vertical, and inboard enough not to catch the drum outer;)

I should have said brass drift, but a steel punch will work if you're careful

craig green
23-09-10, 09:18 PM
Working around the race & getting it home square is the key thing really.

Iain
23-09-10, 09:20 PM
if you catch my "drift"
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA :p

I have been working around it, 12/6/3/9 etc, got the knack of getting them home straight, but until now I've used a socket so bit easier.

I'll try and be more careful with my punch then, as struggling to find a set of brass drifts locally.

Thanks for your help guys.

Royston
23-09-10, 09:22 PM
Socket works quite well, but not on Range Rover Classic wheel bearings, they're a little biglol

John
23-09-10, 09:39 PM
Put the old race on top of the new and use the old race to knock the new one in ;) Doesn't matter if you mark it then. When the new race is fully home, turn the drum over and simply tap the old race out.

Damo
23-09-10, 09:45 PM
Put the old race on top of the new and use the old race to knock the new one in ;) Doesn't matter if you mark it then. When the new race is fully home, turn the drum over and simply tap the old race out.

Or do it that way ^^^^^ lol.

Iain
23-09-10, 10:02 PM
I would if I had an old race to hand. New drums and bearings :(

mowgli
23-09-10, 10:07 PM
iain, thats why garages have a scrap bin.. its somewhere to have a good root thru so you can find a drift