PDA

View Full Version : opinions on brakes

simonm
22-09-10, 08:50 PM
i no this may have been asked a million times but i cant find any thing in articles or the search to answer my Qs just wondering which is better and which has the best bennefit corsa b master cylinder set up or cav gsi one im goin to be runnin 288 front and cav rear discs and will be only runnin one line to the back as im using a tilton bias adjuster any usefull information welcome thanks :thumb:

simonm
23-09-10, 03:33 PM
any one got any opinions on this just would like to go with the tried and tested way

Stuart
23-09-10, 03:39 PM
oops dosent the brakes article cover master cylinders?

Sloth
23-09-10, 03:41 PM
also, thats a big setup, what are you trying to stop? whats your useage? weight? etc...

simonm
23-09-10, 06:50 PM
its a c20xe will be used for the odd track day ad has all interior still in just want it stopping good with little brake pedal travel and hopefully no brake fade just want to see what other peoples opinions are over standard ones couldnt find an answer in articles realy

Benn
23-09-10, 07:03 PM
Bin out the rear disc, that will make the braking much better.

Can you fit a Cav one? As the mounting pins dont line up.. as a Nova mc pins are straight where as the Cav ones are offset. Or does the servo fit so both are swapped?

simonm
23-09-10, 09:46 PM
yea was goin to change servo to will fit with some mods mate of mine has it done im not worried about the fitting as i can mod any thing to fit and the car is still stripped out so is a perfect time to mod it

craig green
23-09-10, 09:49 PM
The only way to get a bigger GM M/C on is to use a Cav/Astra servo & M/C. This will need a custom bulkhead bracket making up.

All the cars with the bigger brakes run a 22mm or 22.2mm bore compared with the Nova or Corsa's 20mm bore M/C. It ought to give a firmer pedal feel though.

I had 288's & 16v rear discs & found it fine. Certainly not a soft pedal. It can vary from setup to setup though, oddly.

simonm
23-09-10, 09:57 PM
The only way to get a bigger GM M/C on is to use a Cav/Astra servo & M/C. This will need a custom bulkhead bracket making up.

All the cars with the bigger brakes run a 22mm or 22.2mm bore compared with the Nova or Corsa's 20mm bore M/C. It ought to give a firmer pedal feel though.

I had 288's & 16v rear discs & found it fine. Certainly not a soft pedal. It can vary from setup to setup though, oddly.

would you recomend this set up over the corsa one?
am thinkin more towards this one as i can leave my battery alone but just wondering opinions on the other to

Stuart
24-09-10, 09:12 AM
Personally.... given the experience with Dans old 1.6 8V track schlag, I;d go with "valver" 256mm front brakes, plain pikey discs and Mintex 1155 pads, and std read drums just rebuilt and new.

dhdev (Oli)
24-09-10, 02:03 PM
Personally.... given the experience with Dans old 1.6 8V track schlag, I;d go with "valver" 256mm front brakes, plain pikey discs and Mintex 1155 pads, and std read drums just rebuilt and new.

This combined with fresh ATE or Castrol Super Dot 4 fluid and some cooling ducts should be fine for all use.
Other pads worth investigating for track use are the Mintex F series (I use F2's on the golf I race) very strong and fade free, but do need some heat in them. The F series utilise some of the technology/manufacturing techniques that Pagid have developed on their much more expensive RS range of pads (Which are fookin ace if you can afford them BTW).

simonm
26-09-10, 10:25 PM
thats what ive used all along on my nova and just wanted some thing with a bit more bite have 256 front and mintex pads and standard drums on the rear but just found it a bit crap tbh