PDA

View Full Version : Why is my engine not working!

Yorkie
21-09-10, 09:42 PM
Ok sam and burgo are not too sure so any ideas as to why would be greatly useful

My nova is well looked after and has low mileage, it is a 1.2.
Its always been fine however recently the engine has cut out as im driving, it tend to be when im slowing down, it did it when i stopped at a roundabout, and another as i slowed for a speed camera. Tends to be as i put the clutch down.

At a loss as to why, still got to pop the bonnet and take a look yet. But if any one has experinced something similer or has any ideas...advice is welcome :)

Steve0011
21-09-10, 09:45 PM
my daughter had a similar thing on her 1.2spi i gave the injector a good squirt of carb cleaner seems a lot better now

mk1nova_rich
21-09-10, 09:47 PM
is it a carb or injection Nova? i see youre in Rothwell, not too far from me :)

Yorkie
21-09-10, 09:51 PM
its a carb one, thats right :) only your location is leeds, i dont live near leeds :S

mk1nova_rich
21-09-10, 09:52 PM
ah didnt know there was another Rothwell lol replace your fuel filter and give the carb a good clean out, see if that cures it

Yorkie
21-09-10, 09:53 PM
lol yea im in northamptonshire. I will try that then :) thankyou very much

novalovingned
21-09-10, 10:00 PM
I had this problem 6 years ago with my 1.2 carb.

Would die when i dipped the clutch at junctions etc, never found out why and tried almost everything to fix it but theres only so much money you want to spend on a 1.2 engine.

Good luck :)

Yorkie
21-09-10, 10:44 PM
hmmm i think it is worth spending lots on lol think i will need lots of luck if it becomes a persistant problem

mowgli
21-09-10, 11:03 PM
my money is on chassis to gearbox earth...

Yorkie
23-09-10, 08:25 PM
oh i hope it aint an electrical proplem :(

marc69
23-09-10, 09:21 PM
could be that the idle speed adjuster or mixture adjuster just needs tweaking, how is the idle when the engine is hot? If the engine is running fast (in normal driving) and then the clutch goes down to idle sometimes there can be a small dip, if the idle is low anyway, it may occasionally stall.

Lee
23-09-10, 10:50 PM
Try this.

Get Sam of his ass to give you a hand with this lol. Take off the air filter to expose the carb. Get Sam to put on a glove or get a rag, spray a load of carb cleaner down the carb while its running, then rev it up to about 5K, and get Sam to wedge his gloved hand or the cloth over the inlet. Keep your foot on the gas until the engine stalls.

Do this a few times. I found in the past that it dislodges any crap from the back pressure. I had the exact same problem on my SR and doing this cured it. Not saying it will for you but its definately worth a bash.