PDA

View Full Version : One feed to rear brakes and use of T piece

steg1970
21-09-10, 09:24 PM
I am changing the rear brakes to a single feed from the master cylinder. I will be running braided brake pipe inside the car to a T piece then two feeds to the rear flexibles.

I am using the standard master cylinder and servo.

Do I just use keep the restrictors and use one to feedthe rear as it is and blank the other off?

Do I take the restrictors off and use one rear feed and rely on the split to reduce braking effort at each rear wheel?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Steve0011
21-09-10, 09:34 PM
this is done all the time on rally cars in corpotating a verticle hydraulic handbrake, so i would think it would work just fine

steg1970
21-09-10, 09:48 PM
this is done all the time on rally cars in corpotating a verticle hydraulic handbrake, so i would think it would work just fine

I know, its for my rally car, I need to know about the restrictor, do I keep it or remove it for a single feed?

mk1nova_rich
21-09-10, 09:49 PM
just run a single line through a bias valve, then adjust the braking til its spot on

craig green
21-09-10, 10:04 PM
Keep the proportioning valve on the MC or use a remote bias valve.

Steve0011
21-09-10, 10:09 PM
did'nt touch the restrictor on mine :)

i am going to fit a bias valve shortly take it to my mate so he can put it on the MOT rollers so i can adjust the valve for bias front for tarmac and bias slightly more to rear for the loose and mark the two points for future reference/adjustment

but you probably know this already ;)

craig green
21-09-10, 10:11 PM
I used this setup with rear discs, no problems at all. Braided line into the cabin, bias valve, braided line to boot floor, T piece then through boot floor @ either side to the beam & calipers.

chimp007_uk
21-09-10, 10:13 PM
Does it matter which rear feed you use? Just blank of the redundant one?

Steve0011
21-09-10, 10:15 PM
to be honest i remember just choosing one at ramdom and blanking the other :D

try the rally forum for a better answer :)

i suppose you could have both feeds from the master T-piece to single then thru the car to the second T-piece

simonm
21-09-10, 10:16 PM
you can just tee it off the master cylinder run one pipe back and tee it again at the back that worked for me with hyd hand brake and bias valve before the hand brake or your wheels wont lock

craig green
21-09-10, 10:16 PM
Either. Just put a ball bearing in under the threaded union & tighten in to seal it off.

chimp007_uk
21-09-10, 10:17 PM
I like.... :)

Steve0011
21-09-10, 10:21 PM
you can just tee it off the master cylinder run one pipe back and tee it again at the back that worked for me with hyd hand brake and bias valve before the hand brake or your wheels wont lock

beat you to it :thumb: great minds think alike :)

simonm
21-09-10, 10:36 PM
beat you to it :thumb: great minds think alike :)

they sure do better runnin with two ports from the cylinder as you wont be just relying on one chamber for braking incase of failure in one half youll still have braking with the other

Steve0011
21-09-10, 10:38 PM
changing mine as soon as :) can't believe i missed it first time...doh!

simonm
21-09-10, 10:49 PM
yea it just goes back to braking fundamentals thats why your cylender has two different chambers it will work fine but will need a bias valve i used a tilton one and worked very well with rear discs

Steve0011
21-09-10, 10:52 PM
:thumb:

mowgli
23-09-10, 02:39 PM
they sure do better runnin with two ports from the cylinder as you wont be just relying on one chamber for braking incase of failure in one half youll still have braking with the other

for god sake do not run it from both ports!!!!!!!

if one fails, all fail...

simonm
23-09-10, 03:23 PM
for god sake do not run it from both ports!!!!!!!

if one fails, all fail...

how is that then

mowgli
23-09-10, 03:28 PM
if you connect the two rear lines from the m/cyl into a tee & on to the rear in a single pipe, then any failure loses fluid from all of the system.. pedal to the floor, and you're on the way to the scene of the accident

simonm
23-09-10, 03:32 PM
i was talkin about failure in the master cylinder cos there isnt much alse can fail if using the rite bits but thanks for pointin that out any way been runnin mine like that for years and never a problem

mowgli
23-09-10, 03:33 PM
you are lucky then...

simonm
23-09-10, 03:34 PM
you are lucky then...

lucky in some and not in others but alls good :thumb: