PDA

View Full Version : Rear bearing stuck...

matt_vaughan
21-09-10, 03:07 PM
Right, I might be just being thick here but bare with me.

Changing rear wheel bearings on car, and drum is finally off.

Unforunately it's left the larger bearing and oil seal behind on the stub axle, but i cannot get them off.

Any tricks?

GRUNT 16V
21-09-10, 03:10 PM
new stub axle !!!!! as the bearing race has welded itself to the stub axle!
fairly common

mowgli
21-09-10, 03:15 PM
hammer & cold chisel.... i know you will never believe me on this, but its either that or gas or a puller

matt_vaughan
21-09-10, 03:17 PM
mowgli i'll try yours first. i need to use the car later tonight...... :(

matt_vaughan
21-09-10, 03:19 PM
just muller the bearing to remove it?

mowgli
21-09-10, 03:24 PM
the bearing is made of really hard/brittle steel, so putting the chisel on it & then giving it merry hell with the hommer in one spot should crack it.

Dyfirg
21-09-10, 04:07 PM
Use a 4" grinder with a flap disc to polish a flat on the bearing, when you get close to the shaft surface you will notice the bearing material turn blue as it gets thin. Then tap with a chisel and hammer, it should crack pretty easy. Make sure to wear goggles etc as the bearing material is just as hard as the chisel and could chip ending up in your eye!!

Pistol Pete
21-09-10, 05:29 PM
hammer & cold chisel.... i know you will never believe me on this, but its either that or gas or a puller

Hammer and chisel FTW. Done it before.

matt_vaughan
22-09-10, 03:25 PM
Propane torch.....lots of smoke from burning greace.......couple of screwdrivers.....straight off. :D

bmw156
22-09-10, 03:44 PM
cold chisel all the wayyyyyy

matt_vaughan
22-09-10, 04:12 PM
Thought about cold chisel but really didnt want to risk taking a chunk out of the stub axle.

brainsnova
22-09-10, 04:37 PM
i used the grinder to cut it thin near the stub and put a flat head screwdriver in the cut and rotate this will cause the remaining thin bit to split and release it from the axle.

mowgli
22-09-10, 04:56 PM
Thought about cold chisel but really didnt want to risk taking a chunk out of the stub axle.

place the chisel next to the bearing & then take a good aim with a good big hammer. i would advise gloves & goggles, so when you hit your thumb, you'll look like a pillock as well as feel like one, but the chances of taking a chunk out of the stub are practically nil.. if you burr it, then some emery paper or a file will sort it, and remember, the bearing doesn't turn on the stub