PDA

View Full Version : big block shafts and golf bearings

Sloth
20-09-10, 02:33 PM
right, not as obvious as it sounds. basically my dumbfukk cousin has grenaded his 4th golf mk2 gti engine. :wtf: his mate has a cheap xe forsale, and i know of a mk2 jetta with a let so it goes in. my issue is this:

1. what bearings do you use when going big block shafts and hubs? golf synchro i think but is it front bearings or rears?

2. what length are cavalier driveshafts?

3 what legnth are nova shafts?

fankoo.....

stt
20-09-10, 02:38 PM
its rear golf synchro bearings you use, not front
but they are the same as early audi 80 front bearings so you might be able to use an audi hub carrier.

As for driveshaft lengths - im not too sure

a few years ago i fitted an xe into a 306, i joined the vauxhall drive shafts to the pug outers by turning them down to the same size, then turning a bit of bar out so it was an interference fit (under heat) - then pressed them together, welded it, and then smoothed the weld back in a lathe,
never had a single problem

Sloth
20-09-10, 02:46 PM
yer, the other option is recoprop, they can make any driveshaft you want.

i was thinking golf carrier, golf synchro bearing and cav inner hub bit.

hmm.....

stt
20-09-10, 03:30 PM
tbh for all the hassle i would just get hold of an ABF lump if you're running NA or if you want forced induction look for a BAM/AMK lump as it will drop straight in

Sloth
20-09-10, 03:31 PM
he hasnt got that much cash. ive done the bam's before but this is a daily. his mate wants £100 for the full front of an astra gsi. it aint that much hassle.