PDA

View Full Version : putting fuel in problem.

Plug
20-09-10, 11:58 AM
Right i bought a nova last night and by the looks of it ive been mugged off :(

So im took the filler neck off and its clear checked the tank and it seems to be clear in there but when i put fuel in it will fill the neck up and drain into the tank very very slowly,

Anyone got any ideas to what it could be??

Joe

chimp007_uk
20-09-10, 12:04 PM
Is the vent blocked?

Plug
20-09-10, 12:12 PM
what the breather pipe that comes off the top of the tank and runs along it to the other side?

If so as far as i can see with it in situe it is

Edd
20-09-10, 12:33 PM
It will be the breather pipe that joins to the filler neck IMO

Plug
20-09-10, 12:34 PM
im going to get out and have a look ina mo.

still quite pissed off with it all really :(

Edd
20-09-10, 12:37 PM
Or make sure the ball/float thing in the filler neck bit of the tank is at the right angle

You may be able to drop the tank with the exhaust still on to get to the neck breather pipe get it off, attach some other pipe, garden hose or something, then try refilling it, if that's the problem I can post you some proper fleur lined hose for the job

Plug
20-09-10, 12:41 PM
going out in a sec to have a look.

Dont suppose you have a passenger mk1 headlight spare?

Edd
20-09-10, 12:43 PM
No mate sorry I don't

Brand new ones on the bay for £8 tho

Plug
20-09-10, 12:44 PM
will have to get one only need the black plastic bit as all the windows, rear lights and headlights have the reg etched on then.

This nova has a sunroof aswell :( lol i think the let made me want it.

Edd
20-09-10, 12:49 PM
Enough chat get out there and get it fixed lol

Report back how you get on

Sloth
20-09-10, 01:14 PM
pics btw?

Plug
20-09-10, 01:29 PM
right i cant see any blockages but what i think has happened is the ball has fallen into the tank and caused a blockage in there?? could this happen?

Has anyone got any pictures of a Gsi tank and how the ball valve thing should be??

I can see the plastic insert, with 4 prongs pointing into the tank but i cant see a ball.

Rob let me get the problems sorted and give it a clean and i will get some pics up.

Edd
20-09-10, 01:48 PM
Tbh is that has happened I would get the tank off

Or at least pull out the plastic sleeve with the four pronged on it, are your sure you havnt pushed the ball inti the tank ?

Have you took the filler neck breather pile off at both ends ?

Has the filler neck got something stuck in it ?

craig green
20-09-10, 01:49 PM
If the ball is in the tank it wont be the cause of your issues. Tank off job to get it out though, takes ages!

The slow refilling issue is a kinked breather pipe where it comes off the top of the tank & gets kinked against the floor pan. The genuine pipe is moulded with a 90degree on it, if the pipe has been renewed it wont have this. You need to add in a copper 90degree plumbers fitting to stop it collapsing.

On a 4 poster ramp you can do it without removing the tank, but if you are retrieving the ball, you'll have it off anyway.

craig green
20-09-10, 01:50 PM
[quote=Edd] are your sure you havnt pushed the ball inti the tank ?

[quote]

Probably happened when someone was investigating the breather issue.

Plug
20-09-10, 01:50 PM
ive took the breather off and its clear, ive got the filler neck off and its clear.

I can see the insert in the tank but theres no ball on it or in it,

I will take the tank off i was just asking 1st before i go dismantling everything lol.

Anyone got or can get a pic of the ball valve??

Plug
20-09-10, 01:51 PM
right craig what breather are you on about the one that goes to the filler neck?

craig green
20-09-10, 01:53 PM
yep. it runs through the chassis leg

Edd
20-09-10, 01:53 PM
I havnt got a 90 bend on mine seems ok

I would put money on it being the breather pipe Joe

Take the filler neck off, tank straps and see if you can access the breather pipe on the tank end, get it off and see if it's blocked, if you can't it's exhaust off time

Plug
20-09-10, 01:54 PM
and on a gsi tank it goes onto the front of the tank? or at the top?

what i thinks happend is hes plumbed the breather into the return maybe

yea the exhaust is all welded up haha going to have to take it off the turbo

MK999
20-09-10, 01:56 PM
and on a gsi tank it goes onto the front of the tank? or at the top?

what i thinks happend is hes plumbed the breather into the return maybe

yea the exhaust is all welded up haha going to have to take it off the turbo

And probably drop the beam in order to feed it through... lol

craig green
20-09-10, 02:01 PM
Joe I had this exact issue with my GSi when I rebuilt it.

We droped the tank out of the straps up on a 4 poster ramp, cut the end of the breather, put in a 90deg, then reconnected it. Problem fixed. I was thn able to put in as much fuel as I liked at the pumps without looking like a retard or wearing 5 quids worth of it.

Same tank. 1.6MPi. The breather gets squat between the tank & floor if the GM pipe isnt used.

We didnt remove the exhaust or beam. Just lowered the tank down enough to access the breather.

Sloth
20-09-10, 02:05 PM
or, rip the tak out and fit an in boot one?

Plug
20-09-10, 02:06 PM
Right i think ive sussed it with your help people cheers but just want someone to agree before i change it all.

The Breather from the filler neck goes into the top of the tank and the return from the fuel rail goes in the bottom of the tank and the front?

If that is correct they guy i bought it off has plumbed it in wrong as the return is going into the top of the tank and the breather from the filler neck is going into the bottom of the tank.

Im my head it makes sence that the breather should be at the top to push the air out.

im only going to have to remove the exhaust not drop the axel, never took the axel off even when changing tanks

Also i can get pics if needed but i think what im saying makes sence and its plumbed in wrong

Sloth
20-09-10, 02:12 PM
your correct, he's a mongol and put it in wrong.

Plug
20-09-10, 02:13 PM
easy fix then thank fuk for that off to fix it then

Sloth
20-09-10, 02:29 PM
wheres the wip dude?

Plug
20-09-10, 06:53 PM
there is no wip this ones bought not built haha,

sorted out the fuel plumbing just need tax and insurance and fuel :)