PDA

View Full Version : Resignation.

John
19-09-10, 08:06 PM
After a bit of job advice, have searched the net but can't find the "correct" answer. If i resign from my job, giving 4 weeks notice, and my employer asks me to go immediately, do they have to pay me for the 4 weeks notice? I think the answer is yes, anyone confirm? :)

Stuart
19-09-10, 08:08 PM
They have to pay you in lieu of notice..

****, I had better get my vin number to you ASAP lol

Pistol Pete
19-09-10, 08:08 PM
Hmmm, nothing on employment law on google? I would say yes, they have to pay you.

John
19-09-10, 08:09 PM
They have to pay you in lieu of notice..

****, I had better get my vin number to you ASAP lol

lol, fire it me over stu

Novasport
19-09-10, 08:11 PM
Depends what your contract states re notice period but yes, you should be paid. Remember holidays already taken or owed need to be taken into consideration.
Where you off to John?

Edd
19-09-10, 08:11 PM
Had enough of your job as well ? lol

John
19-09-10, 08:12 PM
My contract says that i will get paid, however the last tech that left was asked to leave immediately after handing 4 weeks notice. Just getting ready for tommorow lol

Novasport
19-09-10, 08:12 PM
Join the club, I'm on the hunt for a move.

Graeme
19-09-10, 08:13 PM
I think they have to pay you for your notice as your adhering to you contact agreement, if they want to pay you to leave early them it'll be not trusting you to sabotage their business or something similar, but from what I've always been told they have to pay you either way

Stuart
19-09-10, 08:13 PM
Its called Gardening Leave ;)

I'm on the look out for something new too, back to the automotive game with luck

Novasport
19-09-10, 08:14 PM
What is your required notice period in your contract? If its 4 weeks then they need to pay you for the 4 weeks if you stay or they ask you to leave.

John
19-09-10, 08:15 PM
What is your required notice period in your contract? If its 4 weeks then they need to pay you for the 4 weeks if you stay or they ask you to leave.

Yep 4 weeks.

Novasport
19-09-10, 08:15 PM
Its called Gardening Leave ;)

I'm on the look out for something new too, back to the automotive game with luck

I want to get out of it!!!

John
19-09-10, 08:16 PM
I'm staying in the trade, off to audi.

phazer
Depending on the job you may be asked to go on what's called 'Gardening leave'. You're effectively serving out your notice period but for whatever reason are not required to be in work. It's extremely common to do this in IT where security is a concern or sales where they tend to nick the customer information to take with them.

Your employer may pay you off in lieu of notice period but be aware that any holidays taken over the pro-rate entitlement will deducted from your final pay.

Edit: Loads of replys in the time it took to write this lol

Mazz
Good luck John!

Nick
19-09-10, 08:18 PM
My contract says that i will get paid, however the last tech that left was asked to leave immediately after handing 4 weeks notice. Just getting ready for tommorow lol

I'm not sure what profession you are in; but being asked to leave immediately might be a precaution in their eyes.

IT companies do this especially due to problems that occur with data theft, loss, corruption e,t,c . You still get paid, it's just less risky in their eyes to have a member of staff who could have bad feelings towards the company.

But in terms of your contract, you are totally entitled to the 4 weeks pay. There's no way out of it unless you are on a temporary contract or the contract states a longer notice period.

Stuart
19-09-10, 08:23 PM
I want to get out of it!!!

Industry is different to trade ;) lol

The grass wasnt greener in deeeefence, so want to get back into the fun side of life

Pete
19-09-10, 08:37 PM
when i worked at a hotel i handed in my notice which was 4 weeks, i carried on working and was approached by the manager begging me to stay for longer, i had another job lined up so i couldnt and i explained it to him.
he then went off and came back about an hour or so later and asked me to leave the premises and i was not welcome back.
I was paid on a weekly basis and did not recieve my pay after 2 weeks so got in contact with the main offices and got full pay + owed holiday pay.

either way mate, if they ask you to leave immidietly then take the matter further.

mowgli
19-09-10, 08:44 PM
this leave immediatley in case you might nick info is such cobblers... anyone with a brain keeps a list or 2 just in case....

bmw156
19-09-10, 08:50 PM
i have just done redundancys, and we paid peoples notice, because they would be useless if they were "working" and probably steeling everything!

draper
19-09-10, 09:38 PM
if they ask you to leave immediatly make sure they give you the reasons why, and in writing.

i had an ex-employer tell me to leave then not pay me and when i questioned it he said i walked off the premises and quit

GroupB
19-09-10, 09:40 PM
Just a quick note, DON'T volunteer to leave when you hand in your notice if they say do you want to leave now, Cos if you say yes they are not obliged to pay you for your notice period, always offer to work your notice period and then if they want you to leave immediatley they will have to pay you out.
Hope you understand me.

Good Luck.........

Mike
19-09-10, 09:41 PM
Ohhh, I applied for a job today lol might be dropping ye olde self employment bollox. Looking after a fleet of historic BMW rally cars of all things :S

brainsnova
19-09-10, 09:52 PM
i turned up at work many moons ago lol and said i was leaving and i said i would work my notice but they said you dont have too and was paid in full all what i was due and left about 2 mins after.

draper
19-09-10, 09:53 PM
tbh i normally get told im leaving rather than me leave lol

John
19-09-10, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the help here guys!

Mike
19-09-10, 10:29 PM
The last job I left, gave a weeks notice to like. With all the acrued holiday i had left & 2 weeks pay, all of it was paid upfront on my last day, walked off with a nice £1051 after the dreaded lol nearly bankrupt the bloke lol

dj_wudgey
20-09-10, 10:34 AM
After a bit of job advice, have searched the net but can't find the "correct" answer. If i resign from my job, giving 4 weeks notice, and my employer asks me to go immediately, do they have to pay me for the 4 weeks notice? I think the answer is yes, anyone confirm? :)

when i did it at ats i wrote 4 weeks and they had to pay me even though they didnt want to as they knew i was leaving for more pay! the area manager came in and told me not to come back on the 1st day off my notice!!

Jack
20-09-10, 02:50 PM
Depending on the job you may be asked to go on what's called 'Gardening leave'. You're effectively serving out your notice period but for whatever reason are not required to be in work. It's extremely common to do this in IT where security is a concern or sales where they tend to nick the customer information to take with them.
Very common in the MOD too, although not always for people serving out their time lol

The grass wasnt greener in deeeefence, so want to get back into the fun side of life
Fancy working for Boeing? They might have just scored a big defence contract :p

Stuart
20-09-10, 02:54 PM
Fancy working for Boeing? They might have just scored a big defence contract :p

technically I do (ish):p

Keif
20-09-10, 06:34 PM
Join the club, I'm on the hunt for a move.

I just have, secure job (i hope lol) FTW

Novasport
20-09-10, 06:42 PM
Know of any more jobs going? I am getting desperate to move now.

John
20-09-10, 09:18 PM
Well, handed it in, got to work the 4 weeks, ah well.

hendrix
20-09-10, 09:28 PM
I got put on gardening leave because I was off to a competitor, which was awesome. 5 weeks off and paid ftw :)

mowgli
21-09-10, 07:16 AM
/\ theres 2 companies that go round counting railway tracks??

Rich
21-09-10, 06:31 PM
nice one john good luck, i got a call from another garage today so i may be handing in my notice (again lol) very soon :)

John
21-09-10, 06:39 PM
nice one john good luck, i got a call from another garage today so i may be handing in my notice (again lol) very soon :)

good stuff rich, are you still with vauxhall? i think the best way to work your way up is to move often.

Rich
21-09-10, 06:48 PM
yeah still same place, nearly 6 yeasr since i left school. Its the same garage i was going to go before, but ended up staying because they offered me more money to stay where i was.

But had enough now, called the garage 3 weeks ago when there wasnt any vacancies and they rang me back today to see if i was still interested. My mate starts there monday too, my old parts manager works there and im mates with one of the partsmen lol

Going to another vauxhall garage

Pistol Pete
21-09-10, 07:12 PM
Well, handed it in, got to work the 4 weeks, ah well.

Good luck with the new job.

hendrix
21-09-10, 09:15 PM
/\ theres 2 companies that go round counting railway tracks??
lol yes mate and no I don't go on PNG with this one lol hahahah

mowgli
21-09-10, 11:00 PM
i work for a family business... i can't exactly resign

Rich
06-10-10, 06:32 PM
not long now john, did they try get you to stay? handed my notice in today, getting begged to stay lol

Be leaving last working day of the month :)

Novasport
06-10-10, 06:54 PM
I handed my notice in at BMW on Monday, off to be Service Manager at VW now. Start on the 1st of next month.

Must be catching John, you have started a trend

Rich
06-10-10, 07:02 PM
nice one, are you a service manager at the moment or tech?

John
06-10-10, 07:09 PM
congrats fellas! On hols this week, then one week left! Which vw are you going rich? Swansway?

Royston
06-10-10, 07:22 PM
I handed my notice in at BMW on Monday, off to be Service Manager at VW now. Start on the 1st of next month.

Must be catching John, you have started a trend

Well Done Rich and John:thumb:

I have to say I'm still happy playing with big Tonka Toys and hopefully there is enough work to keep me going for years........literally;)

Novasport
06-10-10, 07:24 PM
I am a Senior Service Advisor at the mo, its Parkway VW I am going to.

Stuart
06-10-10, 08:09 PM
Fingers crossed the company I had a chat with pull their finger out and sort an offer out with money (they have said I've got the job though lol).

Would ideally hand mine in tomorrow as it means I finish during a holiday lol

John
06-10-10, 08:17 PM
all change for everyone! Good stuff stu!

Sloth
06-10-10, 09:12 PM
just had a job offer for a tech job in aus with toyota. happy days. :)

Stuart
09-10-10, 09:07 AM
Notice being handed in on Monday :)

Sorted the details out for the renumeration package.... WIN I'm back in the automotive game :) happy happy happy joy joy joy.

Not my immediate ideal product, but its the road to recovery, Infotainment (touch screen radios/satnav/HVAC controls)
Will be working with these toys.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/SLS_AMG_E-CELL_20_medium-635x423.jpg
http://www.emercedesbenz.com/magazine/wp-content/uploads/SLS_AMG_E-CELL_10_medium-635x423.jpg

http://www.koenigsegg.com/imageserver.php?format=0x370zoom&img=models_agera_7.jpg

Mazz
09-10-10, 09:19 AM
oohhh pritty :)

John
09-10-10, 05:13 PM
Tasty Stuart!

Mike
09-10-10, 05:18 PM
Tidy.

pikey1986
09-10-10, 05:22 PM
soooooo jealous, well done to all who are moving onto bigger and better jobs

mowgli
09-10-10, 08:50 PM
so, stu are you a valeter now?

Rich
18-10-10, 07:34 PM
First day done :)

My place decided to tell me i could leave early because work was slow, wanted to save some pennies. Started 2 weeks early, good so far :)

John
18-10-10, 07:36 PM
Good stuff Rich!

Also my first day today too! I've got lots to learn/get my head around! Audi do it differently to say the least lol

Pistol Pete
18-10-10, 07:38 PM
Different in a good way though yeah?

Glad both your first days went well.

John
18-10-10, 07:40 PM
Different in a good way though yeah?

Glad both your first days went well.

Hell Yeah! Cheers Pete, Feels like i've been working for a bunch of idiots for 3 years lol

mowgli
18-10-10, 07:41 PM
Good stuff Rich!

Also my first day today too! I've got lots to learn/get my head around! Audi do it differently to say the least lol

they turn the engine 90 degrees & charge 30% more than Volkswagen..........

John
18-10-10, 07:45 PM
they turn the engine 90 degrees & charge 30% more than Volkswagen..........

correct! lol The cars seem in a different league to their vw eqivalents.

Stuart
19-10-10, 10:30 AM
hmm I have an Audi Passat then lol....

After messing up my notice period (thought it was 1 month, turns out its 2 months), we have come to an agreement and my last day is the 12th of Nov so new job starts on the 15th huraaaah.

mowgli
19-10-10, 10:56 AM
hmm I have an Audi Passat then lol....

it always was an audi in drag...........

Novasport
31-10-10, 08:32 PM
Well its my first day tomorrow at VW, still got a hang over from my leaving do last night!
Popped in yesterday morning to pick up my company car and had a walk round the place and said hello to a few people.
Walked throught the bodyshop to get to the new prep area which was in darkness as it was closed. Now I dont know if I was seeing things but I am sure there was a bright red Nova parked in there! Possible PNG'er, will keep you posted!

TeddyThom
31-10-10, 08:50 PM
T'is alright for some changing jobs like that ain't it... I'm still stuck as a poxy marshall... I want to get in a garage, gonna try the local vauxhall tomorrow hopefully

John
31-10-10, 09:13 PM
Well its my first day tomorrow at VW, still got a hang over from my leaving do last night!
Popped in yesterday morning to pick up my company car and had a walk round the place and said hello to a few people.
Walked throught the bodyshop to get to the new prep area which was in darkness as it was closed. Now I dont know if I was seeing things but I am sure there was a bright red Nova parked in there! Possible PNG'er, will keep you posted!

Good stuff rich, all the best for you first day! :)