PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes!!

Alex J
17-09-10, 08:46 PM
ok, after the brake fire at combe, taken rear shoes of, and the nearside has blown up!! looks like a sticky cylinder is to blame, so, im after a set of shoes, and to cylinders to replace, what i want to know is are the brakes all the same on the rear, i.e, 1.2 the same as gsi etc,also is there a left and right cylinder as ive only found one parts number and it looks like it for both sides:confused: , has anybody got a part number for euro car parts as i cant find what im after! cheers!

AlexW
17-09-10, 08:52 PM
Brakes are all the same, within the right years, there is about 3 different types iirc.

IIRC there isnt a left and right cylinder no, one might of been changed though?

mk1nova_rich
17-09-10, 08:52 PM
all rear brakes are the same regardless of model spec and pretty sure cylinders are same for both hands.

Nova_Tek
17-09-10, 08:55 PM
If we're talking about shoes then they are all the same. I put GTE rear shoes on my 1.2.

IIRC the cylinders are also the same but can't quite remember.

Benn
17-09-10, 09:19 PM
Go to a better motorfactors, they do it off you reg. A lot of cars use the same cylinder on both sides.

mowgli
17-09-10, 09:22 PM
the really early ones had manual adjusters, but only a handful will even be left in the uk.... get the later ones they were the same from about 1984 onwards.

Ernie
17-09-10, 09:28 PM
Alex just one thing the rear beam was from my G reg nova track car as it already had the polly bush's fitted.just before you order the parts for the j reg as they maybe differant mate.

Stuart
17-09-10, 09:51 PM
also, replace BOTH sides..... dont just do one sides cylinder. They should be £5 each so cheap enough

craig green
17-09-10, 09:54 PM
Cylinder & shoes should be pretty straight forward from any factors really.

floydy13
17-09-10, 10:28 PM
i thought the rear brakes on mk1's nova's were different to mk1.5 and mk2 but cylinders are the same?

MK999
17-09-10, 10:32 PM
i thought the rear brakes on mk1's nova's were different to mk1.5 and mk2 but cylinders are the same?

Matt Brown is that way ---->
lol

Lee
17-09-10, 11:19 PM
There is TWO different types of shoes, they are almost the same, but have subtle differences. (enough to make the wrong type not fit). Ive come accross two MK2's of the same year with the different types so its not age specific IME

Take a shoe in with you to the factors so you can match them up AND buy a fitting kit which will be seperate. Cylinders will be the same though.

MK999
17-09-10, 11:20 PM
There is TWO different types of shoes, they are almost the same, but have subtle differences. (enough to make the wrong type not fit). Ive come accross two MK2's of the same year with the different types so its not age specific IME

Take a shoe in with you to the factors so you can match them up AND buy a fitting kit which will be seperate. Cylinders will be the same though.

Could have fun with mine for the track car then... was bought for the previous shell lol

Lee
17-09-10, 11:29 PM
Could have fun with mine for the track car then... was bought for the previous shell lol

IIRC the main difference is the lugs that locate into the bottom of the backplate. One set have narrower lugs, so if you try to fit them to the wrong housing, they slop around, and vice versa the bigger ones wont actually fit in the gap lol

Alex J
18-09-10, 12:37 PM
Alex just one thing the rear beam was from my G reg nova track car as it already had the polly bush's fitted.just before you order the parts for the j reg as they maybe differant mate.i reckon if i go for g reg gte as a start, that mite be what im after, cheers ernie, and euro car parts is the way foward for me, as mrs maris works there, so discounts:cool: !, taken them all apart, and the piston in the nearside has failed big timelol

davidfox280585
18-09-10, 12:50 PM
i have a cavalier wheel cylinder on mine is identical,wasfrom my old cav drums before i upgraded,motorfactors was shut and when its mot work it had to be done

smirty
18-09-10, 02:47 PM
try your local euro car parts the sell a whole kit with 2 cylinders shoes and springs everything already built too pretty cheap aswell

Alex J
18-09-10, 03:32 PM
try your local euro car parts the sell a whole kit with 2 cylinders shoes and springs everything already built too pretty cheap aswellon the website it says no stock on any nova shoes, do you have a link??:thumb:

smirty
18-09-10, 03:42 PM
never seen them on the website but used them for my novas brakes would have to find your local branch and call them bud :thumb: