PDA

View Full Version : Alloy fuel tank??

Danb1987
16-09-10, 12:40 PM
What will I need to get this set up?? Obviously a tank ;) but in fitting it to a Let will I need a swirl pot and such??
List please lads :)

mowgli
16-09-10, 01:09 PM
why ruin your interior space to fit a smaller tank??

i'm sure you can get a tank with a built in swirl pot. then decide where you are mounting the pump & simply wire & plumb it in.

Danb1987
16-09-10, 01:58 PM
Iv just got rid of my nova and got a corsa C...... I'm just thinking of ways to lose all the extra weight that's all!! It's going to be fully stripped anyway well bar the dash......

mowgli
16-09-10, 02:17 PM
if you remove the existing tank, there's a chance it will affect the under floor airflow & possibly slow the car down. i'd suggest keeping the original tank if you can

MK999
16-09-10, 02:19 PM
There is an absolutely fantastic place to keep a (particularly lightweight thinwall steel or plastic tank) and that's exactly where the manufacturer put it... nice and low, out of the way and lightweight.

Danb1987
16-09-10, 02:36 PM
So I take it no ones got any advice then??

mowgli
16-09-10, 02:59 PM
look, if you want to fit one, then its easy, google alloy fuel tank... OBP is a site sponsor, they do them.... but we don't actually think you will gain a single thing by fitting one. for road use, the std tank is low & light, and does the job really well. for looks, you can have one, but just where would you mount it???

in the tyre well.... puts the weight higher up & behind the axle, thus it affects the handling.

where the back seat is now??? it is then a nightmare to fill & you need to install breathers to keep the air clean inside the car,

spend the money on other things

Hobbit
16-09-10, 03:02 PM
This how I've done mine...

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/Track%20nova%20build/005-2-1.jpg

Danb1987
16-09-10, 04:02 PM
All I'm thinking is trying to get it as light as possible by losing as much as I can.... I thought there be a big dirterence between alloy and the original tanks!

MK999
16-09-10, 04:05 PM
All I'm thinking is trying to get it as light as possible by losing as much as I can.... I thought there be a big dirterence between alloy and the original tanks!

I'd put money on it being less than a kilo, you could lose more weight taking a few jerry cans, leaving them in the pits and putting quarter-half of a tank in for each run. Wouldn't be surprised if the alloy one is heavier tbh.

Danb1987
16-09-10, 04:17 PM
Point taken mate! I know il never get no where near nova weight with the corsa! But the lighter I can get will just give me peice of mind lol

Stuart
16-09-10, 04:23 PM
I've seen people go nuts for kevlar tanks etc in the past and ultimately they only weigh 1-2Kg less..... and then you fill them with fuel and really the difference is irrelevant in %age terms.

not to mention the moving it higher up.

You'd save more weight with some decent wheels

Danb1987
16-09-10, 04:36 PM
My plan is to remove all rear gubbins I.e seats/belts cards the works remove wheelwell and replace with fibreglass? Fibreglass bonnet and boot lighter bucket seats and to remove all unnessacery metal from the door etc the car should weigh around 1000kg ATM with the let in.....
I'm hoping to get down to around 800kg'ish??
What wheels do you think for saving weight? Iv got some 17" milie miligas now are comp Mo's anygood?

Stuart
16-09-10, 04:43 PM
comp MO's weigh about as much as the planet lol

TD 1.2's and similar's weigh naff all :) 17" might be ok for getting hold of ex btcc slicks on the cheap but other than that I'd be on 15's personally.

grp skin over the wheel well will get you perhaps a kilo, maybe a little more... is it worth that hassle?

MK999
16-09-10, 04:47 PM
grp skin over the wheel well will get you perhaps a kilo, maybe a little more... is it worth that hassle?

That's a bit of a brave estimate imo lol

Mieran
16-09-10, 04:50 PM
You don't need a dash if you're saving weight ;)

Hobbit
16-09-10, 06:32 PM
There fook all difference in weight between my ally one and the standard one. To be honest I'm thinking of putting the standard one back in lol I only bought that one for my old wide arch nova cause the arches covered my fuel filler lol and I used it in this build cause it was there lol

Hobbit
16-09-10, 06:36 PM
Also if you fancy doing a bit of motor sport they prefer you not to have the fuel tank in the car with you without a fire wall

andylm661
16-09-10, 06:57 PM
My sponsor makes ally tanks for rallying and autograss..honestly there is no weight difference unless you go for a 3 gallon tank,which is useless for road use so my advice would be to save your money and put it towards your fuel instead..

Steve0011
17-09-10, 12:33 AM
good advice re the original tank

save weight by

removing all sound deadning and i mean ALL of it a couple of kgs there
remove the iron mongery from the front and rear bumpers and attach them with quick release pins, super light wheels as said but they do cost a few quid :( perspex all windows (except windscreen) even fill the tyres with gas instead of air and as said 14's or 15's will be better than 17" wheels also lighter, carbon everything that aint bolted down eg. carbon dashes, stearing wheels gear nobs etc etc are available but again they will cost you. im sure there loads more

oh yes, have a hair cut, dont eat breakfast and have a good poo before your run ;)

just thought remove all unwanted electrics loom for radio, you dont need interior lights so bin them along with the button switches on the door pillar and dont forget the wires as well

Stuart
17-09-10, 08:41 AM
POLYCARB!!!!!! not perspex!!!!

erm Air is a gas ;) the nitorgen fills dont do much different to regular air, I know I've run with both for years.

TD pro race 1.2's are only about £500 for a set.

Steve0011
17-09-10, 09:17 AM
POLYCARB!!!!!! not perspex!!!!

erm Air is a gas ;) the nitorgen fills dont do much different to regular air, I know I've run with both for years.

TD pro race 1.2's are only about £500 for a set.

Polycarb then but you get the general idea :) air is a mix of several gases as it happens, i just could'nt think of the gas that was used ;) afterall the post was in the early hours :)

Stuart
17-09-10, 09:26 AM
air is something like 70% nitrogen anyway lol

Steve0011
17-09-10, 09:34 AM
now its getting silly (yes i know i started it ;) i was pulling the guys leg a bit when i wrote lol

AIR is gas that consists of free molecules in the ratio of about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 0.3% carbon dioxide and traces of helium, neon, other gases and water vapor. There are also contaminants which are described as: Solid, Germ & Gas Phase Contaminants.

can we move on? lol

Danb1987
17-09-10, 09:55 AM
Lmaoo about air haha!! Just found out my tank is plastic anyways so I doubt il be able to get any lighter :) I'm gonna look roun for some 1.2s was reading on the corsa forum about a tread asking if any Sri owners got there weight down to 1 tonne :( me engines surely heavier than a 1.8sri??

mowgli
17-09-10, 09:56 AM
nitrogen is more likely used for consistency as it can be put in 'dry' and is a red herring for weight loss

Stuart
17-09-10, 10:37 AM
apparently it dosent expand as much with temperature changes, tbh I've found it no more/less consistent than regular air. The only bonus is that the tyres have not changed their pressures in 2 years

Steve0011
17-09-10, 10:41 AM
nitrogen is more likely used for consistency as it can be put in 'dry' and is a red herring for weight loss

yes your right its more stable (pressure wise) under different temps

now can we get off the air thing lol

other ideas re weight saving

motorsport starter motor and altanator smaller and lighter
dry cell red top battery

Stuart
17-09-10, 10:48 AM
note the current crop of Elises/Exiges (you know, the lightweight cars) are coming in at over a Ton....... so getting under it isnt as important anymore lol