PDA

View Full Version : Play in bottom ball joint

rubachuk
16-09-10, 08:37 AM
Fitted a new bottom ball joint over the weekend and no matter how much I tightened it, it wouldn't clamp up tight. Haynes says 22lb torque on the clamp on the bottom of the steering knuckle, is this supposed grip the ball joint tightly, or should it let it rotate?

I also noticed that the new ball joint has bigger groove in it. The one I took off had a groove that perfectly mached the radius of the clamping bolt, the new one has a bigger groove which allows some movement vertically. Is this OK?

Welsh Dan
16-09-10, 08:44 AM
Sounds to me like its the wrong part. All the ones I ever fitted were a snug fit and the groove matched the retaining bolt.

GRUNT 16V
16-09-10, 10:43 AM
send it back!

mowgli
16-09-10, 10:46 AM
agreed.... we don't want to be reading about you.....

nova_saloon
16-09-10, 11:25 AM
Yeh make sure that when inserting the ball joint look through the hole, and the groove in the middle of the joint then make a perfect hole for the bolt to go all the way through and then tighten down lightly, the knuckle doesnt crush the ball joint that bolt meerly allows it to stay in place freely for movement of steering and suspension.

rubachuk
16-09-10, 11:42 AM
Right, so the clamp isn't tightened to the point where it is supposed to grip the balljoint completely then. Mistake number one there. I was trying to eliminate the vertical movement by overtightening but all that was doing was preventing the rotational movement I need.

Mowgli - The car moved off the drive and 50 yards down the road before I decided it was dangerous and put it back on the drive, it's been there since and won't be moving again. Was enough to pull the bottom of the clamp on the steering knuckle out of shape slightly though :(

nova_saloon
16-09-10, 11:46 AM
probs snap the bolt, its hard to describe what is surposed to happen, but look through the hole that the bolt goes through, then push really hard upwards on the ball joint but slowly at the same time, you will see the top of the joint go past the hole. then you will then see the neck of that top joint, and it should make a perfect hole for then the bolt to hold it in so it cant drop down. but give all the movement, whack a bit of grease in it to. cant do any harm

Iain
16-09-10, 11:52 AM
I thought the balljoint itself was supposed to twist, not the metal part inside the knuckle. i.e. there should be no movement whatsoever between the part that enters the knuckle and the knuckle itself.

nova_saloon
16-09-10, 11:56 AM
it doesnt matter to much which one moves to be honest (pref it does to be honest, wear on the bolt may not be good. Woudl just make more sense to him what i was saying as he has never dont it before.

it is just held in by a bolt that fits between the hour glass shape it has on it.

rubachuk
16-09-10, 12:40 PM
saloon - I know how it's supposed go back together don't worry. I was unsure wheter the vertical movement was supposed to be entirely eliminated by the location of bolt in the groove or whether the clamp was supposed to tighten completely to remove all movement, both vertically and rotationally.

However now there seems to be conflicting opinion on whether the balljoint is supposed to rotate in the clamp or whether the balljoint is clamped tight and the rotation comes from the ball joint itself. (if that makes sense)

MK999
16-09-10, 12:45 PM
ball joint rotates, not the clamped bit.... common sense really.

nova_saloon
16-09-10, 12:53 PM
yes^

rubachuk
16-09-10, 01:05 PM
ball joint rotates, not the clamped bit.... common sense really.Which is why I tightened it as much as I could to try to clamp it. Then to be told it shouldn't be clamped and should allow movement

mowgli
16-09-10, 01:14 PM
it goes into the clamp & gets tightened up properly. it simply should not wobble in the jaw of the clamp.

MK999
16-09-10, 01:16 PM
Which is why I tightened it as much as I could to try to clamp it. Then to be told it shouldn't be clamped and should allow movement

Which was wrong, it's got a split in it so it can be clamped, 20lbft is a clamping force, you have the wrong ball joint almost definitely.

mowgli
16-09-10, 01:18 PM
20lbft is just the tightening torque. multiply that be at least 10 to get the clamping force..

mowgli
16-09-10, 01:18 PM
sorry accidental duplication.

MK999
16-09-10, 01:21 PM
20lbft is just the tightening torque. multiply that be at least 10 to get the clamping force..

Yes but explaining that anything over 5nm is 'very tight' is a lot easier than explaining the mechanical advantage of screwthreads and how that relates to him swinging on the torque wrench lol

rubachuk
16-09-10, 01:21 PM
Cheers all.

lomas
16-09-10, 10:38 PM
not just the hole worn? ive fitted new ball joints and bolt was tight but still moved, had to make the gap bigger for the pinch bolt as sides where touching when tightened

swedge
17-09-10, 12:35 AM
I'm having the same problem with my nearside balljoint too, there's play in the joint that goes into the clamp

They are brand new ball joints but I'm using Corsa hubs dunno if that makes a difference

can someone measure the diameter of thier ball joint, the bit that goes into the clamp so I can double check mine

LEWI007
17-09-10, 06:26 AM
ill be going over the garage in a few hours so ill check it

swedge
17-09-10, 06:36 AM
Perfect mate cheers

rubachuk
17-09-10, 08:22 AM
I'll check when I get back home, but I think I measured my old one at 15.01mm and the new one at 14.97mm

I know the ball joints for Nova and Corsa B are the same, but the hubs are different. I had a good look at a few whilst raiding the scrappers for more clamp bolts after I snapped two trying to get the clamp to tighten on the ball jointlol

Are Corsa hubs a suitable alternative if I can't find a replacement steering knuckle/outer hub from a Nova?

LEWI007
17-09-10, 11:09 AM
the hole where the balljoint goes through is exactly 16mm ive just measured it.

rubachuk
17-09-10, 11:11 AM
Completey unclamped I presume?

LEWI007
17-09-10, 11:16 AM
Yes unclamped.

Sloth
17-09-10, 12:15 PM
im sure corsa and nova hubs are the same part number.

brainsnova
17-09-10, 12:54 PM
could it be someone has used the wrong diameter of bolt as i ve done loads of these and never had any play.

swedge
17-09-10, 01:16 PM
I used the new bolt that came with the new balljoint