PDA

View Full Version : Engine cut out

Tony M
15-09-10, 11:49 AM
Yesterday I was driving most of the day with no problems at all,
till late last night when I seen a lead foot Civic driver ...

As I put it into 2nd gear the car just died on me and now when I switch the ignition onto the 2nd click the fuel pump isn't priming now and the car wont start ....

The car is a XE Nova by the way.

I must add .... I have been out 4 times in this car and i've been towed home 4 times lol

Adam
15-09-10, 11:52 AM
Pump relay?
Dead pump?

Put 12v to the pump to rule it out.

Nova_Tek
15-09-10, 11:52 AM
I'd check the fuel pump relay, the fuel injection/pump fuse and the pump itself.
[EDIT]Beat me to it Adam

Tony M
15-09-10, 11:54 AM
I've checked the fuses, I bought a brand new fuel pump relay a couple of month back.

Think the next step is to attach a 12v battery direct to the pump.

Worth checking ignition live?

Adam
15-09-10, 12:05 PM
Does the ecu light come on with ignition?

Nova_Tek
15-09-10, 12:11 PM
I've checked the fuses, I bought a brand new fuel pump relay a couple of month back.

Think the next step is to attach a 12v battery direct to the pump.

Worth checking ignition live?

Doesn't mater when you got the pump mate, it can still fail. My bro got a pump 1 year ago and it died a couple weeks back. They can be prone to sucking up and dirt from the bottom of the tank and jamming up. So it's always best not to allow the fuel level to get low.

You can test your relay (whilst testing the pump) by accessing the pump, remove the power feeds and putting a multimeter on the connections. Stick on the ignition. You should get a 12 - 13v reading for a few seconds (normally when the pump would prime) and then will drop to about 5v or so. If that's the case, relay is all good and your pump is naff.

Tony M
15-09-10, 12:39 PM
Does the ecu light come on with ignition?

I have just been outside and I've just realised there isn't a ECU light coming on at all mate?

Adam
15-09-10, 12:42 PM
And there was before?

Tony M
15-09-10, 12:43 PM
And there was before?

Yes mate everytime until the car fired up and running

Adam
15-09-10, 12:44 PM
If you had an ecu light before last night, and now you dont, then sounds like your ignition live to the ecu is dead.

Tony M
15-09-10, 12:45 PM
If you had an ecu light before last night, and now you dont, then sounds like your ignition live to the ecu is dead.

I was actually hoping it wouldn't be the wiring being as I find it hard to locate the problem exactly.

Adam
15-09-10, 12:58 PM
Where the ecu is connected to ignition live, check it for 12v with ignition. Simples

Tony M
15-09-10, 01:06 PM
Where the ecu is connected to ignition live, check it for 12v with ignition. Simples

So that will tell me if the ECU is dead or if there is a break in the wire?

Adam
15-09-10, 01:11 PM
Probably be the wire tbh.
Did you do the conversion yourself?

Tony M
15-09-10, 01:14 PM
Probably be the wire tbh.
Did you do the conversion yourself?

Yes I did mate, although Gunny did the wiring so i'll hold him repsonsible lol

Tony M
15-09-10, 03:33 PM
Just wondering .... If there is a break in the wire, is it possible to splice the ignition live wire right back from the car ignition barrel straight to the ecu?