PDA

View Full Version : Clunk on acceleration?

nova_saloon
13-09-10, 11:18 PM
Have an XE nova with the later type engine in it. on acceleration it clunks and sometimes when i break, i have no idea what it is, as i thought it may be the bottom ball joints and it is not them, there tight as can be. it isnt bearings as there new and there is no play, caliper mounting bolts are tight as the CV joints as there new aswell. any other things i may of missed?

Lee
13-09-10, 11:18 PM
Engine mounts?
Tiebar mountings on the crossmember?

AlexW
13-09-10, 11:21 PM
Battery secure?

dj_wudgey
13-09-10, 11:47 PM
i had this before and my front offside engine mount had worked loose!!

nova_saloon
14-09-10, 12:04 AM
Engine mounts?
Tiebar mountings on the crossmember?
This is very possible, due to i repainted as you can see in my WIP but there were wear mark look like the paint had been moved and rubbed off but movement, but ive taken them off check there was nothing underneath cleaned it all and the put it all back together super tight and still get the clunk :S. i put on the Harry hockley plating kit on the front members and didnt do any further modification on it. do you need to elongate the hole on thh tie bar mounting holes to the crossmember? then engine mount however are realitivly new and i can see that they have been moving. Driving me nuts and making me worry.

Battery secure?

doesnt sound close enough to be the battery and i cant make it wobble at all

i had this before and my front offside engine mount had worked loose!!

what the top two bolts are you talking about, i think they are done up pretty tight to be honest and i cant see wear in the paint where they could of been moving, but will try tighten them further

dj_wudgey
14-09-10, 12:25 AM
i would mate i thought mine were tight and to be fair it was one off the last things i checked!! try the other mounts two mate just to be shure it not them!

Southie
14-09-10, 06:14 AM
Gearbox mount is a good suggestion because that's one that's worked itself loose on mine.
Also check your bottom ball joints, wheel bearings, strut tops and also check that your steering rack is tight.

nova_saloon
14-09-10, 05:17 PM
i would mate i thought mine were tight and to be fair it was one off the last things i checked!! try the other mounts two mate just to be shure it not them!

welll i know the rear gearbox one is tight as a nut cause i had that problem withthe lambda sensor that still really needs sorting, but the front gearbox and engine mounts i will check. driving me potty.:(

Gearbox mount is a good suggestion because that's one that's worked itself loose on mine.
Also check your bottom ball joints, wheel bearings, strut tops and also check that your steering rack is tight.

all ball joints are replaced bar one. and im getting a replacement soon enough i hope. good point about the steering rack it was half taken off, but i tightened it up good, the bushes probs need replaceing maybe. does clunk a little if you jiggle about on the spot, doesnt sound like the same clunk but maybe it is. as said wheel bearing have been replaced fairly recently and strut tops are tight done that to :thumb:

Lee
14-09-10, 05:40 PM
Make sure the bolts that hold the tiebar and balljoint to the lower arm are tight. I had loose ones on my blue one years ago and it made a good clunk.

mowgli
14-09-10, 05:43 PM
exhaust running close to anything?

diff could be about to fail???

Nova_Tek
14-09-10, 06:04 PM
haven't read the thread... but any of the engine mounts/gearbox mounts is likely. Same thing happened on the Cav. Mounts can work loose.

vaughanmc
14-09-10, 06:18 PM
Mine does the same (All be it a 1.2i) some times it's feint but sometimes it's loud

Annoying as f*ck and I still haven't got to the bottom of it - No play in the wheel or anything!

mowgli
14-09-10, 06:19 PM
on a 1.2i, its probably the caliper sliders

vaughanmc
14-09-10, 06:22 PM
Seems to be from the N/S/F...

Lee
14-09-10, 10:19 PM
on a 1.2i, its probably the caliper sliders

Did think that, but wouldn't do it on acceleration

Plug
14-09-10, 10:50 PM
cv's all ok?????

Mine clunked and it was the cvs that had dryed up

MK999
14-09-10, 11:14 PM
strut top is a possibility, mine did this, always thought it was CV's until I fixed those, MOT turned up a worn strut top.

nova_saloon
14-09-10, 11:15 PM
exhaust running close to anything?

diff could be about to fail???
Dont imagine its the exhaust, not that sort of clunk and new mounts on the exhaust system

and dont say the diff thats enough to kill me, i dont want to change that ******* lol

Mine does the same (All be it a 1.2i) some times it's feint but sometimes it's loud

Annoying as f*ck and I still haven't got to the bottom of it - No play in the wheel or anything!
Check the lower ball joint bolts are tight :thumb:

cv's all ok?????

Mine clunked and it was the cvs that had dryed up
All cv joints are new, so there all good

strut top is a possibility, mine did this, always thought it was CV's until I fixed those, MOT turned up a worn strut top.
it is possible the strut top, i should get around to replacing them, not sure how old they are look fine though, but who can tell never pulled them apart

Cheers for all the replies, more advice if anyone has any, very helpful, thanks :)

dj_wudgey
14-09-10, 11:55 PM
yea id say the strut top aswell forgot that! they were knackerd on my mates polo wen he bought it and after a few days it got worse the knocking was well bad only when he floored it though!

hope that it any way mate!

MK999
15-09-10, 12:01 AM
just jack it up and properly yank around on the strut, if it moves about too much it's funked

nova_saloon
15-09-10, 12:04 AM
yea id say the strut top aswell forgot that! they were knackerd on my mates polo wen he bought it and after a few days it got worse the knocking was well bad only when he floored it though!

hope that it any way mate!
Yeh its everytime i accelerate and brake, so i am not to sure to be honest. tempted to take the anti roll bar off to see if it is that first of all, Doesnt matter if i dont floor it. but to be hoenst i dont think you would cause its a bit noisey sometimes :)

just jack it up and properly yank around on the strut, if it moves about too much it's funked
Yeh remeber reading that in the haynes... Jack the car and remove the wheels, Then place hand firmly over the lower part of the strut. Once aquireing a firm grip yank it around. :). Will give it a go.