PDA

View Full Version : time for a clean up

johnsowerby
11-09-10, 11:07 PM
hi there, i bought ste porters car just befor billing and have now decided it needs a clean up under bonnet the blue bits were starting to do my head in
so out comes the engine
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/johnsowerby/nova/nova004.jpg
blue bits
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/johnsowerby/nova/nova003.jpg

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy165/johnsowerby/nova/nova002.jpg

johnsowerby
11-09-10, 11:17 PM
plus not sure what to do with engine as it smokes

bazil
11-09-10, 11:19 PM
What's the plan john? Paint the blue bits and any other work getting done?

johnsowerby
11-09-10, 11:24 PM
got full engine bay to paint
new door for passanger side as paint bubbled on bottom
havent decided what to do about engine yet

pixie
12-09-10, 03:10 PM
would make a nice turbo

bazil
12-09-10, 04:52 PM
would make a nice turbo

dont let mr porter hear you say that lol

pixie
12-09-10, 04:57 PM
dont let mr porter hear you say that lol

why its not his car any more and as it says above engine smokes :)
a turbo would finishs this car of with it being such a nice car

Paul
12-09-10, 04:57 PM
XE or turbo it!

pixie
12-09-10, 04:58 PM
turbo all the way

bazil
12-09-10, 05:00 PM
turbo the 1.6 16v all the way

thats a grand idea lol

pixie
12-09-10, 05:17 PM
what is so wrong about the idea of a turbo

johnsowerby
12-09-10, 09:53 PM
ok then who thinks i should sort the smoking engine out and who thinks i should turbo it?

dj_wudgey
12-09-10, 10:02 PM
ok then who thinks i should sort the smoking engine out and who thinks i should turbo it?

i say either sort it or go for a gte lump on some 40's!

pixie
12-09-10, 10:13 PM
turbo

peester
12-09-10, 10:16 PM
Smoking will prob just be stem seals wont it?
Maybe better the strip engine down if you modifying extensively..
Just kinda thrown in a bit then, it all was eh..

burgo
12-09-10, 10:19 PM
1.6 16v turbo imo

johnsowerby
12-09-10, 10:27 PM

yeah it could just be the stem seals but it runs very rich aswell

i have a turbo sat here out of my last nova just waiting to go into a new car:d

Benn
12-09-10, 10:42 PM
1.6 16v turbo imo

I agree. You have the lump, just add the extra bits.

Dont for get Ste didn't build the car, he just owned it for a bit.

Paul
12-09-10, 10:43 PM

Very true

Lee H
12-09-10, 10:44 PM
I agree. You have the lump, just add the extra bits.

Pretty sure he put the engine in it as it was a 1.2 when SRimon had it?

I'd put a proper turbo engine in, none of this small block ****e :thumb:

johnsowerby
12-09-10, 10:52 PM

I'd put a proper turbo engine in, none of this small block ****e :thumb:

if i do it, it wont be small block will be my 2.0 16v hybird and make it a proper show car

Benn
12-09-10, 10:56 PM

Sorry yeah your right. Thought Srimon fitted the lump too.

Sloth
12-09-10, 11:00 PM
z20let. :d

johnsowerby
12-09-10, 11:16 PM
looks like im putting the turbo in her :d

pixie
12-09-10, 11:18 PM
keep us all up to date on project then

w88rdy
12-09-10, 11:23 PM
Turbo ftw them engines always smoke, i still have nightmares about my old one that still smoked after it was rebuilt!

Balley
12-09-10, 11:26 PM
Turbo ftw them engines always smoke, i still have nightmares about my old one that still smoked after it was rebuilt!

Lmao, **** happens :)

bazil
12-09-10, 11:59 PM
Who ever said Z,LET I agree, the redtop turbo has been done to death, even a green turbo nova has been done lol

John it's your car! What do you want to drive?

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 09:06 AM
Who ever said Z,LET I agree, the redtop turbo has been done to death, even a green turbo nova has been done lol

John it's your car! What do you want to drive?

im gonna c20let her coz i have the motor here and ready
need to order new rad and fan which i will do today
now just to find the time to get on with it

MattBrown
13-09-10, 09:15 AM
C20let, f28, heated leathers and speedlines!

Sloth
13-09-10, 09:17 AM
and an a 16v tb show plate.....

MattBrown
13-09-10, 09:19 AM
and an a 16v tb show plate.....

Almost as bad as L33LEG lol

Sloth
13-09-10, 09:25 AM
still think it would suit a zlet better...

claire6069
13-09-10, 09:29 AM

cant really say i care for that comment much, you obviously dont know how anal ste was about this car and what the quality of his work is! if he bothers to take all the wheels off, the sideskirts and the bumpers just to clean it on a normal sunday, i dont think hes just guna 'throw' an engine in and be done with it, doesnt make sense when you think of it like that does it? he took his time putting the engine in this, it was his pride and joy and he loved the fact that it was a mint showstopper.

he will be bit upset that its getting tubo'd as this is why he was so picky about who he would sell it too but as some of you pointed out, its not his car anymore, however, will be a shame to see such a one off clean example getting taken down the same path as every other nova nowadays!!

anyways, i hope you enjoy it John, least its a good strong shell for a turbo :)

Sloth
13-09-10, 09:34 AM
i agree claire, i saw it when ste did the 1.6 16v conversion, and the finish and fit was unreal. anyway sorry for the o.t.

o.p carry on!

pixie
13-09-10, 09:36 AM
what is o.t and o.p?

claire6069
13-09-10, 09:38 AM
i agree claire, i saw it when ste did the 1.6 16v conversion, and the finish and fit was unreal. anyway sorry for the o.t.

o.p carry on!

thanks Rob! glad someone can vouch for me with ste's work and not just think i'm sticking up for him purely coz hes my other half lol (although that is half the reason lol)

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 09:40 AM
ive been trying to decide since billing what to do with it
but since i dont plan on selling it and plan on keeping it till it dies i do feel the next route for her is a turbo
im not planning on dragging her down drag strips etc just want a nice turbo show car

Edd
13-09-10, 09:40 AM
he will be bit upset that its getting tubo'd as this is why he was so picky about who he would sell it too but as some of you pointed out

why will he be upset ?

its not like he's fitting some nasty f/glass kit to ruin the looks :thumb:

plus 16xe's are rubbish with the standard inlet manifold, top half certainly, imo

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 09:48 AM
C20let, f28, heated leathers and speedlines!

got the C20let got the f28 got the speedlines:)

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 09:50 AM
thanks Rob! glad someone can vouch for me with ste's work and not just think i'm sticking up for him purely coz hes my other half lol (although that is half the reason lol)

im not saying in anyway he hasnt work hard on it etc but while the car stays the way i will always be referred to the lad who bought ste's car

MattBrown
13-09-10, 09:52 AM

I've badgered Ste on facebook, and he really knows his stuff.

He isn't the fastest at banging out cars, but when he does them, he does them right.

Like the 4x4, took Colin less time, but we know when Ste builds his, it will be as good, If not better than colins!

I personally think the engine smoking is nothing to do with how it's fitted and wired???

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 09:54 AM
i've never said its anythink to do with the way it is fitted or wire just that its smoking
it was either sort the 1.6 or fit the turbo i already got and decided on the turbo
i will be keeping a hold of the 1.6 and sorting it out so if i ever want to change back i can

claire6069
13-09-10, 10:01 AM
werent getting at you about ste's work john, was referring to peester's comment!

you have a point about the engine and whilst its in there you're the lad that bought his car, i think putting your own mark on it with the turbo will be good and will make it yours plus give something to rival Joffs motor (when its fixed lol)

agreed Matt, he does take a while to get going, like a nissan micra getting to 100mph lol but when he does get on a mission, he really gets going for a few weeks, then work gets in the way and me making him tow horses about lol

he can do cars quick, that silver xe corsa in TV he did in a day because the lad was being a tightarse with money lol he dont like doing them that quick though because they always come back with problems like that one has (power steering pump and water pump) so he takes his time and makes sure once its out the door, it stays out lol

ste porter
13-09-10, 10:52 AM
The reason i fitted the small block was because it made that car different and stand out from the crowd it was never about speed ect if it was one of the lets i have in the workshop would have gone in it!

i just wanted a show finish with something different under the bonnet.

imho puting a let in that car takes all it stands for away from it. what i mean is the following i had with the car and the attention it got was because it was a high quality finish in a different direction to lets face it what is now the norm of fitting a big block.
it will still get the attention dont get me wrong but now it will be just another real nice big block nova. oh whats that parked next to it? oh its another nice big block nova oh and another and another.
oh look they all have speedlines ect.

i tryed to take it away from that by beeing abit different even sometimes fitting bits i didnt like but purely because i wanted it to stand out from the other in a crowd but without drawing the attetion of the chav brigade

tthe other reason i never fitted a big block was because the chassis rails are perfect all the seems are perfect and are very rare these days and to chop the chassis leg to bits and blast a welder down seams that are a work of art would be criminal.

its not my car any more and in regards to what happens is nothing to do with me it is a shame in my opinion but there you go
good luck with it and please make sure its finished to a high standard what ever you do mate

Southie
13-09-10, 11:09 AM
Ste it shows how much you loved this car because it's still your avatar. ;)

johnsowerby
13-09-10, 12:19 PM
when i bought it i was happy as it is till i took it to billing it was more to put my own touches on it if i was plannig on selling her it would have been different but plan on keeping her as long as i can its getting built to high spec coz it a nice solid car and plan on keeping that way

claire6069
13-09-10, 12:19 PM
yeh he has mentioned he should change it before but i dont think he can bring himself to change it lol

pixie
13-09-10, 04:36 PM
i went to billing this year for the day and think i only seen 2 turbos and one of them was joffs i think

Benn
13-09-10, 05:43 PM
lol didn't walk far then no?^

ste porter
13-09-10, 09:59 PM
not beeing funny theres at least 5 turbos in a 10 mile radius to me and thats not including the 3 engines i have in my shed!

Cle
14-09-10, 06:15 PM
Less talk and more pics :)

my input i dont think Ste really has to defend his workmanship ie check his new project :thumb:

novalovingned
14-09-10, 06:45 PM
Got to agree with you, the blue bits would really get to me also. Theres nothing wrong with a turbo build aslong as it done properly. Theres to many half arsed attempts these days.

Good luck with the build :)

johnsowerby
15-09-10, 09:51 AM
[quote=Cle]Less talk and more pics :)

hopefully will get more pics up later today

johnsowerby
23-06-11, 12:41 PM
sorry for no updates computer crashed so lost all pics ov the rebuild

just to let you all know its all back together and back on the road and will be at billing see you all there

bazil
23-06-11, 01:12 PM
Nice one John, I'm hope to see you down there at some point, it'll be nice to see it all back together after the last time I saw it lol