PDA

View Full Version : XE teething problems.

Pistol Pete
11-09-10, 07:19 PM
Got my XE running after a fair few years sat on a stand in the garage! Its abit on the lumpy side though. At first we thought it would clear after the tappets did thier thing.

But no! Has a miss fire. On further inspection, plugs 1 and 4 are as black as night. So i guess they are not firing. Going to change the dizzy, arm and plugs as first port of call.

What plugs do you XE guys run?

Also might change the CTS as i know this can cause lumpy running.

Any other suggestions welcome.

djbrowney
11-09-10, 07:26 PM
are your leads on the right way ???

Have you timed it up correctly ???

Will F
11-09-10, 07:27 PM
If they are black - they are firing - just not very well... what colour were the others?
CTS will cause it to be a bit lumpy - but not mis-fire

Pistol Pete
11-09-10, 07:34 PM
are your leads on the right way ???

Have you timed it up correctly ???

Checked and rechecked the leads. Timing, same again.

If they are black - they are firing - just not very well... what colour were the others?
CTS will cause it to be a bit lumpy - but not mis-fire

The other 2 looked perfect!!

craig green
11-09-10, 07:35 PM
Std single electrode NGK's are fine, avoid multi-electrode nonsense.

Personally I would get it out on the road & get some miles on it before spending too much. You'll be surprised how it might feel after 100 miles or so. I had an XE I reshelled into an Astra GTE, it was sat a while & felt healthy again after a couple days. Before that I thought it was fooked from sitting around.

djbrowney
11-09-10, 07:36 PM
what do the contact look like on the dizzy cap, have you tried cleaning the tips with a bit of sand paper :)

Pistol Pete
11-09-10, 07:41 PM
lol Craig its far from being road worthy!!! Dont suppose you have a number for the plugs. Going to have a gander in Hellfrauds tomorrow. Its got twin tip NGK's in at the mo. FAIL!!!

dj, Yeah, dad suggested that earlier. Cap has seen better days TBH. Looks like it might have been arcing aswell.

blue_peg_16v
11-09-10, 08:35 PM
craig standard vauxhall plugs for the xe are twin electrode

Pistol Pete
12-09-10, 03:34 PM
Update, changed the dizzy, rotor arm and plugs (NGK single tip ones BTW!) and it helped. Sort of. Checked the plugs again and 1 and 4 are black. So i'm guessing over fueling. Going to change the CTS and investigate about new injectors/getting mine cleaned.

Pistol Pete
13-09-10, 03:48 PM
CTS bought today from Euro Car Parts. Injectors sent here http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/ for cleaning.

Will see if that sorts it. If not then i'm stuck!!

Pistol Pete
17-09-10, 06:18 PM
Update.

Fitted new CTS today. Also had my injectors cleaned (they were in need of it, according to the report) re-fitted these, changed the plug gap to 0.6mm.

Went to start it, it fired up, but still sounded rough. Put the battery on charge as it was starting to struggle. All that cranking and no running!!!

Re checked the timing, thats all spot on. Lost as to what it could be. If the lifters are not filled fully, could this cause the issue??

HELP lol

Andy
17-09-10, 06:20 PM
I think it needs a run out to meet the limiter

Sloth
17-09-10, 06:27 PM
im with andy, kick its cock in

Pistol Pete
17-09-10, 06:40 PM
lol really?? I did say to my dad maybe it just needs a good run to get the oil into the lifters.

Sloth
17-09-10, 06:50 PM
yeah go give it deth. also vids or gtfo lol

Andy
17-09-10, 06:56 PM
lol really?? I did say to my dad maybe it just needs a good run to get the oil into the lifters.
Its whats known in t' trade as enthusiastic decoking ;) lol

Pistol Pete
17-09-10, 07:06 PM
yeah go give it deth. also vids or gtfo lol

Have you not checked my WIP?? Theres a vid in there of the first time it "ran".

Will get an updated "de-cocking" vid lol

Andy
17-09-10, 07:10 PM
Will get an updated "de-cocking" vid lol
:eek: 18+lol

John
17-09-10, 07:16 PM
Update.

Fitted new CTS today. Also had my injectors cleaned (they were in need of it, according to the report) re-fitted these, changed the plug gap to 0.6mm.

Went to start it, it fired up, but still sounded rough. Put the battery on charge as it was starting to struggle. All that cranking and no running!!!

Re checked the timing, thats all spot on. Lost as to what it could be. If the lifters are not filled fully, could this cause the issue??

HELP lol

Yes a soft lifter will cause a miss.

Graeme
18-09-10, 07:39 AM
If they are old or aftermarket lift that might be the cause of the problem, I bought a new set from Auto Vaux for about £150 delivered and they 'shut up' once the car got to temperature on idle, would definitely recommend it, never had a noisy tappet after that

Pistol Pete
18-09-10, 05:58 PM
:( Inlet valve has snapped. Head off, piston has a mark, but not broken. Will sort new parts this week and rebuild. Again. Gutted.

Andy
18-09-10, 06:06 PM
fukks sake,still at least it happened in your garage and not on the way to a show etc

Pistol Pete
18-09-10, 06:09 PM
Thats what the old chap said. If i had been at full chat round Coomb etc, could have been a whole lot worse!!!

Andy
18-09-10, 06:11 PM
exactly,i blew mine up on the way for fuel the night before PVS in June,luckily i was 2miles from home,absolutely distraught but could have been a hell of a lot worse

Sloth
18-09-10, 10:36 PM
grenading engines ftl.