PDA

View Full Version : I only have TWO gears D: c20XE

breadstraw
11-09-10, 12:52 PM
right i've had a new gearbox fitted recently as i blew the old one up
after getting it fitted i've now only got 3rd and 4th gear and its impossible to find any others
any ideas what could be causing this?
before hand in the old gearbox i could find the gears with ease and it worked like clockwork, but now its just rubbish

HELP ME PLEASE, its been 2 weeks driving round like this now :(

comptoncj
11-09-10, 12:55 PM
You will need a new clutch now if you have been pulling away in 3rd! has the gear linkage been set up? you need to lock the selector and gear stick then tighten the 13mm pinch bolt on the gear linkage shaft.

John
11-09-10, 01:12 PM
Agreed, the linakge isn't set correctly. Set it up properly and see what you have then.

Mazz
11-09-10, 01:16 PM
Put it on axle stand and find the linkage underneath, get a friend to check the gears while your adjusting it..

breadstraw
11-09-10, 01:30 PM
it's all been setup, twice now, in a garage :\
and somehow the clutch is coping fine, doesn't smell bad or anything...YET haha

comptoncj
11-09-10, 01:31 PM
gearbox is f**ked then buddy if the linkage is right

John
11-09-10, 01:35 PM
it's all been setup, twice now, in a garage :\
and somehow the clutch is coping fine, doesn't smell bad or anything...YET haha

gearbox is no good then. (edit, beaten to it! lol)

breadstraw
11-09-10, 01:38 PM
urgh as if i need ANOTHER gearbox :(
whats the best box for a C20XE conversion then?
seen as i blew the previous F20 one up haha
and now i've got a knackered F20 in it
although saying that i did manage to find 1st and 5th before, but that was a one off i think lol

comptoncj
11-09-10, 01:39 PM
I would double check the linkage, you can fun all sorts of boxes in a xe conversion as long as they are cable clutch, f16 f18 f20

breadstraw
11-09-10, 01:44 PM
will do
i've also just got another linkage in the post but it looks like its gonna be about 20mm to short :|
even though its meant to fit aha
my dad keeps telling me i was stupid to buy a nova, but i'm gonna show him they're amazing...if i ever get it working :p

John
11-09-10, 01:48 PM
It would also be worth checking to see if the selector mechanism is fitted into the gates properly.

comptoncj
11-09-10, 01:57 PM
I had a problem with a corsa that had a bodged xe conversion and i had 3 attempts at setting the gears up, then looked and it had the wrong linkage on and just simply would not select 5th and reverse.

breadstraw
11-09-10, 02:02 PM
in the previous box, that i blew up, it could select all the gears fine
then when the new box got put it they swapped the linkage from the blown up one onto the new one and thats when it all went pear shaped :(

Iain
11-09-10, 02:09 PM
Obvious thing to try is unbolt the linkage from the box and try and get it in to all the gears by hand. If you can, maybe put it in first by hand and try and drive with it like that (clutch down for startup etc) to check it's okay?

If you can't, maybe remove the selector housing and make sure that's working correctly, as I had an F13 one jam on me once.

Mazz
11-09-10, 02:42 PM
Just about to say then Lionel..

disconnect the linkage and try selecting the gears by hand using the selector box

http://media.photobucket.com/image/f20%20gearbox/Omega25/mini-T-2329-130118_200x100.jpg