PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on coilovers?

danderv
10-09-10, 09:37 PM
Right i want to get a coilover kit for my sport but don't want to fit rear turrets and was wondering what people thought was a good kit for around 300 notes.I want coilovers to get a good stance and handling so should i go for adjustable rear decks or standard lowering springs on the rear?

mk1nova_rich
10-09-10, 09:42 PM
Get the Gaz kit through the Club deal if you can make your budget up to £410 IIRC, then you have the choice of coilovers or a spring and damper setup on the rear :thumb:

danderv
10-09-10, 09:48 PM
I was looking at the fk highsport kit as i had a set on my golf and they were quite nice and only 300 quid

mk1nova_rich
10-09-10, 09:52 PM
The shell doesnt always need turreting when fitting coilovers, it generally only needs doing on rally cars and such, and to give clearance if wide springs are fitted. The rear beam however, does need strengthening where the coilovers mount (originally where dampers were) as they were not designed to support the weight of the car

danderv
10-09-10, 10:00 PM
Heard horror stories of coilovers punching through and don't want that to happen so coilovers on the rear is a no no for me.

mk1nova_rich
10-09-10, 10:05 PM
personally i would stick to separate rear springs and dampers anyway

danderv
10-09-10, 10:11 PM
That's what i am going to do now but do i get adjustable rear's or not that is the question?:confused:

mk1nova_rich
10-09-10, 10:16 PM
You wont get adjustable height without coilovers, only adjustable damping and rebound depending on what kit you decide to buy, and lowering springs of a height which can usually be specified on purchase if you speak to the supplier :thumb:

craig green
10-09-10, 10:26 PM
Bashing the inner arch/wheel house to make room for coilovers risks splitting the panel seems. Dont do it, esp if you cherish your car.

Just play with regular lowering springs & seperate dampers.

danderv
10-09-10, 10:26 PM
I thought some kits came with lowering platforms for the rear springs?

Andy
10-09-10, 10:30 PM
unless its for looks i reckon its sh1t to have coilovers

Edd
10-09-10, 10:31 PM
Personally I wouldn't go with coilovers, more trouble than there worth IMO

Yellow Bilstein's for me, Courtenay do a full package 4 shocks and springs for £450, there probably the best non height adjustable suspension you can get.

Gaz through the Club deal would be the way to go if you want coilovers tho.

danderv
10-09-10, 10:32 PM
What would you go for then andy?

Andy
10-09-10, 10:32 PM
edd beat me to it

craig green
10-09-10, 10:33 PM
Personally, the GAZ ones I put on my GSi have been the best suspension setup I've ever used., I specified my spring rates to suit a smallblock 16v (280lb fr iirc) & had slightly softer rears (170??) as its primarily road use. It was awesome & not jarring in the slightest, which coilovers are somehow known for.

I wouldnt buy cheap stuff, certainly nothing German as their roads are very smooth so they can get away with much harder spring rates.
I can honestly say that I've learnt the importance of suspsension quality over the years, wasting nearly thousands on crap kits for my Nova.

Andy
10-09-10, 10:35 PM
add to craigs comments that some "kits" can actually do more harm than good!!

craig green
10-09-10, 10:36 PM
Yellow Bilstein's for me, Courtenay do a full package 4 shocks and springs for £450, there probably the best non height adjustable suspension you can get.

You've yet to actually use it though & the springs they have supplied you arent the Eibachs mentioned on their site nor the pukka ones they used to do back in the day with the clubman or premium kits. Hope it rides well for your sake.

Plus nowadays everyone wants to roll on the bump stops, so Courtenays idea of the best ride height will not appeal to most people.

Edd
10-09-10, 11:13 PM
You've yet to actually use it though & the springs they have supplied you arent the Eibachs mentioned on their site nor the pukka ones they used to do back in the day with the clubman or premium kits. Hope it rides well for your sake.

Plus nowadays everyone wants to roll on the bump stops, so Courtenays idea of the best ride height will not appeal to most people.
True but,

There kit price is loads cheaper than anywhere else just for the shockers, plus when I phoned to ask what springs they are they said they are there own custom ones but not the same as the old skool Clubman/Premium ones, even if there turd, which I doubt they are, and had buy something else this would be cheaper than anywhere else

Hobbit
10-09-10, 11:50 PM
gaz rear seperate set up are height adjustable. Mrs Hobbit has them on her Astra

danderv
11-09-10, 06:03 AM
And are they any good hobbit?

Mieran
11-09-10, 08:12 AM
Buy the GAZ kit with the PNG club discount and tell them you want telescopic rear setup, thats the septate damper/spring with the heigh adjustment platform :thumb:

danderv
11-09-10, 11:20 AM
Cheers mate:thumb: