PDA

View Full Version : GTE Engine removal !

GroupB
09-09-10, 09:59 PM
Hi all,
New to the site, been reading different threads all night!
Just bought a 1988 Nova GTE to restore so I am sure I will be on the forums none stop !!
I'm restoring to its original condition the best I can, it is already original with the standard 1.6 8v efi engine.
I have noticed that you all seem to use different engine codes - so not to feel left out what code would my engine be? derhhhh!!:thumb:
I am in the process of removing the engine to start the restoration, respray engine bay carry out repairs if any and clean and paint the engine.
Question:-
Does the engine come out with the gearbox or on its own with the gearbox staying in the car?? :confused:
I will be starting a thread on the projects forum over the next week if anyone is interested, and when i have posted enough posts I'll be adding photo's.
Hope to get to know alot of you over time:thumb:

craig green
09-09-10, 10:03 PM
Welcome to PNG.

The engine should be an E16SE in a GTE.

Best way to remove an engine IMO (& people will suggest diff methods) is through the bottom.

You can remove the shafts from the box, then seperate the steering from the suspension (ball joints) drop the struts, tie bars & lower arms off. Which leaves the engine free to be suppoorted on a trolley jack & lowered down & out from the bay.

Obv there is more to it thatn that, but basically if you are methodical about releasing the gear linkage, throttle & clutch cables, draining fluids & raising the fr of the car high enough to perform the removal, it's dead easy & not necessary to use an engine crane.

I have installed & removed a fair few for myself & other people now & with 2 of you it's pretty straight forward (the 2nd time).

As you are new, I will point out that using the advanced search function or the technical help guides (you may have to be a member to view them) will pretty much help you with anything you ever need to know, so much of this kinda stuff has been covered in the past. Join the club though, it's well worth the £10 for discounts & suchlike.

GroupB
09-09-10, 10:14 PM
Hi craig,
Thanks for that, theres me with the engine hoist thinking I'll just lift it straight out.
Can I disconnect the gearbox from the engine and lift it out that way? If so is it easier that way?
your advise is much appreciated.

craig green
09-09-10, 10:21 PM
If you have a hoist use it, if it were me I'd use it to lift the car! LOL

Again Its easier IMO to remove the whole engine/box in one. rather than faff about removing the clutch cover, undoing the box-to-engine bolts etc.

If you have a long hard look underneath, you will figure out what needs removing & what can stay in place to drop it out.

I've undone the bottom ball joints, which allows the TCA's (wishbones) to drop down, release the ball joints from the hubs (cast knuckles), remove the knuckles from the shocks. Pull out the shafts from the box & then it can come out. You can have it back rolling on its wheels easily by simply bolting all that back up & putting the outer CV joints in the hubs to keep the wheel bearings from collapsing, then you can tow it etc.

brainsnova
09-09-10, 10:27 PM
if you take it out the top your best to unbolt the gearbox,remove the clutch cover and take the gearbox end cover of and pull the input out from the clutch then it will be easier to seperate the engine from the gearbox then you can lift it up.

GroupB
09-09-10, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll look at it again tomorrow and see which is going to be easiest for me.
I'll keep you posted.
Many thanks

MK999
09-09-10, 10:48 PM
If you have a hoist use it, if it were me I'd use it to lift the car! LOL

Not as easy as it sounds tbh, as the engine gets in the way of the crane legs, better off using it to lower the engine gently and the dragging the engine out from underneath manually, put a board or something down

bazil
09-09-10, 11:03 PM
i recently removed my E16SE from my gsi, complete with gearbox and lifted out with a hoist, tbh ive never tried it any other way so i guess im used to my own meathod, you can split the box and lift the engine out if you want but i dont se the point in that
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/gsi/P7310009.jpg

or with the gearbox left in but as i said its more hassle to support the box etc its best to lump it out all in one,
http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy181/Bazil_2468/me%20novas/Picture013.jpg

imo lifting from the top is easier for me as the suspension arb and steering are all still there to move the car around rather than removing them them refitting after the lump is out

each to there own mate:thumb:

Mike
09-09-10, 11:06 PM
Engine on the deck, crane car over engine, job for dave.

bazil
09-09-10, 11:08 PM
looks like im doing it the hard way lol

Mike
09-09-10, 11:10 PM
looks like im doing it the hard way lol

IMHO, yes lol

novalovingned
09-09-10, 11:12 PM
Engine on the deck, crane car over engine, job for dave.

+1

Everyone has different methods, its down to what works best for you once you've had the engine in and out a couple of times lol

bazil
09-09-10, 11:15 PM
IMHO, yes lol

i took it out myself, it cant be that hard:d

C612DNM
09-09-10, 11:29 PM
I've always taken mine out of the top, leaving the gearbox in place.

Balley
09-09-10, 11:35 PM
Welcome, sounds a great project,.. look forward to seeing it !

Will it be done for PV ?

Sloth
10-09-10, 09:30 AM
i always go in from the top, and out aswell. thats with bigblocks too.

GroupB
10-09-10, 09:44 AM
well it looks like i've started a debate!
Engine out with gearbox attached through the top?
Engine out with gearbox attached through the bottom?
Engine out without gearbox through the top?
Lets hear more and why your method is preferred!!!!

If the engine comes out of the top without the gearbox the haynes manual i have goes on about pulling out the transmission input shaft.
But at looking at chapter 5, section 5 my gearbox doesn't look like the one in the book!
Maybe i got an old edition do you think?
So how do i pull out the input shaft if i can't see a large plug etc on the transmission cover?
Will it be behind the transmission cover if i remove it on the GTE?

Its raining here at the mo so not doing anything until it stops as the car is outside and not under cover - Gazeboo might have to come out again, but knackered the last one a couple of weeks ago with the strong winds we had.
Oh Hum!!!!!!! More decisions.................

grooge
10-09-10, 11:53 AM
i took my engine out the top a couple of weeks ago. did it myself, dead easy. with box attached

don't know wether to put it back in from the top or the bottom now though. does everyone prefer to put it back in the same way they chose to take it out??

Sloth
10-09-10, 11:55 AM
its a small block, me and a mate removed and refitted one, with its box with some rope and a scaff bar. out the top ftw, easy as fook