PDA

View Full Version : all my ign wires am going into one? wtf

bigdan1
09-09-10, 06:51 PM
as above iv just stripped back my loom behind the dash and 3 of the wires from the ignition barrel plus an extra black wire are crimped and joined to 1 smaller wire which is then crimped to a clear coated wire wtf is that all about?
theres only the red which is not joined and then it gets better
the red wire is joined with about 20 more red wires to the 1 power cable which i could understand....
theres loads of wires been crimped together but i suspect this is why i cant get nothing when i turn the key....
do they have to go somewhere sepreate or is this right?

mowgli
09-09-10, 08:24 PM
they go to all of the things that turn on when the ignition it turned on.

bigdan1
09-09-10, 08:34 PM
they go to all of the things that turn on when the ignition it turned on.

care to elaborate mate?
are the 3 ign wires meant to go into 1 or not?

mowgli
09-09-10, 08:41 PM
what is the actual problem with the car??

the clear one is the coil feed.

there are basically three feeds out. ign on (for wipers etc), ign live (for coil) & starter feed. that is it.

mk1nova_rich
09-09-10, 08:41 PM
i would seriously look into sourcing another loom mate, they aren't too difficult to remove, just label everything as you remove the fresh loom

bigdan1
09-09-10, 09:16 PM
what is the actual problem with the car??

the clear one is the coil feed.

there are basically three feeds out. ign on (for wipers etc), ign live (for coil) & starter feed. that is it.

the problem is when i turn the key nothing happens...
theres power at the starter and batt is fully charged.

what i cant understand is why all the wires from the ign barrel would go into 1 it dont make sense because why would you need all of them if they go into 1 at the end anyways so thats why im asking where they go

bigdan1
09-09-10, 09:16 PM
i would seriously look into sourcing another loom mate, they aren't too difficult to remove, just label everything as you remove the fresh loom

im going to get one mate if i cant sort this iv sourced one on ebay just wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on the situation lol

Lee
09-09-10, 11:10 PM
The red wire is the constant live, that will be crimped to the large red wire which comes from the battery, as will loads more red wires which runs stuff with the ignition off (lights, stereo feed, hazards etc)

There should then be tw black wires, these are the primary and secondary ign live wires. Each wire will be joined to many other wires to switch stuff on when you turn the key, connecting them to the various circuits (as mentioned above), ie secondary live will turn on stereo, heated rear screen, heaters etc) and primary will turn on the ignition.

There should also be a black wire with a red stripe. This shouldn't be connected to anything else, and will run to the starter.

SO

Get a multimeter.

With ignition in off position, there should only be 12v on the red wire.

In position 1 there should be 12v on the red wire, and the slightly narrower of the two black wires

In position 3 there should be 12v on both black wires and the red wire

When you go to thro the starter, there should only be 12v on the red wire, the larger of the two black wires, and the black with a red stripe wire.

IF when you throw the starter there is not 12v on the black wire with the red trace, I would assume your ignotion barrel is fubar. Best way to test this is to remove the red wire and the black/ red wire and touch them together. If the starter throws, that will confirm its the barrel.

If you are getting 12v on the black/red wire when you turn the key to start, the problem will probably be either with the starter itself or with the wiring to the starter. To eliminate these options, run a wire from the positive on the battery, and touch it on the terminal on the starter which the black/red wire is attached to (BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE WIRE ON THE CASE OF THE STARTER OR ANY OTHER EARTH POINT)

If it throws, then there is a wiring fault, and i would just run a new wire from the barrel to the starter in place of the black/red wire.

if it doesn't throw, check the large positive lead from the battery to the starter isn't broken. if it isn't, starter is probably feckered.

Hope that helps

C612DNM
10-09-10, 08:13 AM
Check the chassis to engine earth.

You may be able to read volts on the starter, etc... that's because of sensors having earths, BUT those sensor earths are often thin little wires that start smokin' if you try to run starter current down them!

I had a problem with a Merc Sprinter van that did the same - there were volts on the starter, etc... turn the key and nothing - other than smoke coming out of the steering wheel! That was the horn/airbag ring wotsit burning up as that was the earth route for the starter!!

bigdan1
10-09-10, 10:15 AM
lee very informative post thanks very much ill go check this after me cuppa..
we have run a wire straight from the batt to the starter and it spun so probs is the wiring i hope i can sort this today..
thanks for your help everyone

bigdan1
10-09-10, 11:44 AM
now this is getting really confusing..

i did everything you said to do lee and well everything is as it should be
i havnt got an ignition barrel its just the blackbox but that shouldnt matter should it?

when i touch the two wires together i get nothing but on there own they show up as 12.6 on the multi meter as does every other wire

theres power to the starter from the batt so no break there

theres power to all the lives in the car so no breaks there.

the starter defo works as its been tested off the car but funnily enough when i tried a direct route from the batt on the car it didnt spin which i thought was weird
iv tried jump starting the car incase the batt was dead and still the same iv tried bumping it iv tried everything

any more ideas anyone?

brainsnova
10-09-10, 12:56 PM
set your multi meter to continiuty and put one end on the ignition black/red and at the starter black/red there and seen if it beeps.

bigdan1
10-09-10, 01:09 PM
right this is wierd im going to do a new thread ..... as this is confusing me its something tottally unexpected

C612DNM
13-09-10, 11:27 PM
check Your Earths

all Of Them!