PDA

View Full Version : Machining hub carriers for bigger hubs

garethcolley
08-09-10, 02:34 PM
I'm wanting to machine out my hub carriers (can do it at work) so i can fit the standard Astra GTE hub flanges. What is the maximum size diameter people have machined?

Nova Bearing Dims:

ID OD WIDTH
34 64 37

Astra Bearing Dims:

ID OD WIDTH
39 72 37

Astra has bigger ID to suit large hubs so could i not just machine my carriers to suit the standard astra bearing or is it too big? VW and Mazda appear to do 39 ID bearings with same width and OD less than the Astra so i wouldnt need to machine as much.

Discuss.....:thumb:

Dyfirg
08-09-10, 10:26 PM
This is the option I used;

1) A standard Corsa hub carrier (or knuckle as some call it)
2) A rear wheel bearings off the 88-92 VW Golf Synchro 4x4
3) A cavalier hub

with these parts then,
1) The rear face of the hub ONLY needs to be machined finishing off with a nice radius to reduce the possibility of fractures etc and to centralise the disc within the caliper.
2) The hub diameter is correct as it is to use the bearing listed above.
3) The hub carrier / knuckle needs to be machined to accept the larger outside diameter of the new bearing.

garethcolley
08-09-10, 10:30 PM

3) A cavalier hub

with these parts then,
1) The rear face of the hub ONLY needs to be machined finishing off with a nice radius to reduce the possibility of fractures etc and to centralise the disc within the caliper.
3) The hub carrier / knuckle needs to be machined to accept the larger outside diameter of the new bearing.

Thanks for that mate. Any idea how big the OD of the Golf bearing is? Also what type of bearing design is it?

Dyfirg
08-09-10, 10:38 PM
They are 68mm outer diameter and are the same design as a standard Nova/Corsa front whel bearing.

VW bearing VKBA575

garethcolley
09-09-10, 07:45 PM
They are 68mm outer diameter and are the same design as a standard Nova/Corsa front whel bearing.

VW bearing VKBA575

Thanks mate.

MARTIN KELSON
09-09-10, 08:50 PM
Try djbrowney he sells them on here.

Wether he will tell you or not is another matter but may be worth a pm.

Martin

stt
09-09-10, 10:01 PM

3) A cavalier hub

with these parts then,

can you explain this bit to me please, pics prefered....

I've jsut had a pair of corsa knuckles machined to take the vw/audi 80 bearings and it cost me 50 quid

garethcolley
09-09-10, 11:14 PM
can you explain this bit to me please, pics prefered....

I've jsut had a pair of corsa knuckles machined to take the vw/audi 80 bearings and it cost me 50 quid

Its due to the profile on the rear of the hub flange and can hit the knuckle im led to believe. It therefore needs taking out so the hub flange can sit correctly and hence position the disc in the correct plane.