PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable clearance XE?????

Damo
07-09-10, 10:55 AM
Right guys ive modded the clutch cable exit as the guide says on here but im still getting contact from the inlet where the cable bends down. Its now rubbing the cable casing which is causing me concern that its going to snap it does anyone have any more suggestions as to what i could do to clear it a little more?

Damo.

Sloth
07-09-10, 11:54 AM
i used a metal rod, stuffed it in the hole and bent it down and away, whilst the engine was out. other option is to vut the metal guide on the bulkhead at an angle...

Damo
07-09-10, 01:56 PM
i used a metal rod, stuffed it in the hole and bent it down and away, whilst the engine was out. other option is to vut the metal guide on the bulkhead at an angle...

Rob, thats what i did before i put the engine in but i dont think i managed to do it enough i tried whilst ive had the head off but you carnt get any leverage on it to bent it think ill cut it like you say.

Damo.

GRUNT 16V
08-09-10, 01:09 PM
heat it up !!!!!!!!!! then pull it round !

Damo
08-09-10, 01:19 PM
heat it up !!!!!!!!!! then pull it round !

Trouble is grunt carnt get anywhere near it now with the engine in:( :( .

hendrix
08-09-10, 11:03 PM
I'm having exactly the same problem :(

Damo
09-09-10, 09:31 AM
I'm having exactly the same problem :(

I think if were both having the same problems hendrix then its been mentioned by rob i think to cut the hole at an angle.

Andy
09-09-10, 09:39 AM
You sh1t cunnts lol.I cut mine so it was angled towards the gearbox,not down but to the side,mine was fine.As said it will be a bit of a ballache now engine is in,id just carry a spare till it has to have the head off or summat tbh

Mazz
09-09-10, 09:42 AM
iirc i didn't do mine when i first put the engine in, so i just lowered it off the mounts enough to stick a bar in and bent it over towards the gearbox, i didn't cut it at all..

GRUNT 16V
09-09-10, 12:59 PM
when i first did the conversion on mine back in 2002 it was the fasion to bend them not cut them !!!

Damo
09-09-10, 02:06 PM
As said above ive bent mine a little to the side and down some so the cables not crushed it also has a nice bend rather than a tight bend and isnt forced over by the inlet but it rubs just on the bottom of it is it still gonna cause a problem or will it be ok?

Damo.

Benn
09-09-10, 08:10 PM
I didn't do mine first time around, broken 6cables in a year...

I've only bent mine and its fine.

You might just get something short in there with the engine in, but will be hard to bend, get some on on the inside to help...

MARTIN KELSON
09-09-10, 08:47 PM
Can you put something in & bend it from inside the car?

Swap to throttle bodies, loads of room then!! :)

Damo
09-09-10, 08:52 PM
I didn't do mine first time around, broken 6cables in a year...

I've only bent mine and its fine.

You might just get something short in there with the engine in, but will be hard to bend, get some on on the inside to help...

well mines been in since march and its only just starting to rub the cable casing through to the metal.

Damo
09-09-10, 08:52 PM
Can you put something in & bend it from inside the car?

Swap to throttle bodies, loads of room then!! :)

No theres no room from the inside martin.

MARTIN KELSON
09-09-10, 08:58 PM
No theres no room from the inside martin.

Sorry.

Dont know what to suggest then :(

Damo
09-09-10, 09:13 PM
Sorry.

Dont know what to suggest then :(

No worrys mate as ive said in a previous post its bent over but not enough so it just rubbing the casing slightly but it could do with a little more tbh.

hendrix
09-09-10, 09:21 PM
sounds like yours is better than mine the :roll: lol

Damo
09-09-10, 09:37 PM
sounds like yours is better than mine the :roll: lol

lol have you managed to bend it a little hendrix? you can get at it abit with the inlet off.

Lee H
09-09-10, 10:44 PM
Mine rubs the casing slightly as well, don't see how it is possible to get total clearance as the engine moves about anyway.

As long as the cable isn't kinked over and has a nice smooth run it won't cause any issues.

craig green
09-09-10, 10:48 PM
Ive seen them rub into the back of the inlet, possible to make a hole in worst cases.

davidfox280585
09-09-10, 11:02 PM
inever did mine too but then i never read the xe fitting guide either so more fool me!
fortunate has it my head is off due to porosity setting i so can do it with ease now

Damo
10-09-10, 07:50 AM
Mine rubs the casing slightly as well, don't see how it is possible to get total clearance as the engine moves about anyway.

As long as the cable isn't kinked over and has a nice smooth run it won't cause any issues.

Cheers for the input lee yea it just rubs the inlet will it not cause any issue if it rubs through the plastic to the metal?

And yea it has a smooth run its not kinked in any way so looks like all is good.

Damo.

Lee H
10-09-10, 09:23 PM
Once its rubbed through the plastic sheath there is a metal tube underneath protecting the cable so no issues. My red XE one had worn like this and never snapped a clutch cable or anything despite a lot of hard miles.

Nova_Tek
10-09-10, 09:56 PM
This thread needs some pics :)