PDA

View Full Version : remaking wiring loom

nova_saloon
06-09-10, 10:11 PM
Thinking of remaking my own wiring where can you get the plugs for making this sort of thing, :thumb:

Pistol Pete
06-09-10, 10:18 PM
Here..http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

nova_saloon
06-09-10, 10:20 PM
forgot to state its for the engine loom. make a difference?

Pistol Pete
06-09-10, 10:22 PM
Pretty much all you need should be on that website.

nova_saloon
06-09-10, 10:28 PM
cheers buddy

Novasport
06-09-10, 10:29 PM
I would start with a good used loom if you can and take the required plugs off that. Just get a terminal removal tool to take the terminals out of the housungs. Some plugs are specific and you wont get them from VWP, I know as I used to work there. But, you should be able to get most of the terminals you need.
If you can afford the extra, go for thinwall cable as it will reduce the weight & bulk of the loom.

But the best crimping tool you can afford & use non-insulated terminals. Get yourself some heat shrink and a a good soldering iron, or better a tiny gas blow torch. Go for the loom protection of your choice, I usually go for non adhesive tape for a more OE look.

steviegsi
07-09-10, 03:21 AM
ignore me.

Stuart
07-09-10, 09:23 AM
I would start with a good used loom if you can and take the required plugs off that. Just get a terminal removal tool to take the terminals out of the housungs. Some plugs are specific and you wont get them from VWP, I know as I used to work there. But, you should be able to get most of the terminals you need.
If you can afford the extra, go for thinwall cable as it will reduce the weight & bulk of the loom.

But the best crimping tool you can afford & use non-insulated terminals. Get yourself some heat shrink and a a good soldering iron, or better a tiny gas blow torch. Go for the loom protection of your choice, I usually go for non adhesive tape for a more OE look.

yeah that (bar solder but I'm in the anti solder group, unless 100% nessecary lol)

who was the other company that looks identicle to VWP but marginally cheaper?

Novasport
15-09-10, 11:22 AM
yeah that (bar solder but I'm in the anti solder group, unless 100% nessecary lol)

who was the other company that looks identicle to VWP but marginally cheaper?

I will only use solder on a none flexing part of the loom where no other option is possible. I have access to some straight line crimps that are used at work for joining broken wires which are a little stronger but I have not seen them for sale anywhere.

Not sure about the other company, I am not bothered as VWP are on my doorstep & I still get my 20% staff discount:d